Respected Contributor

How much vitamin D 3 do you take in the winter ?

I have 2,000 , and a take 2 capsules , does any one take larger amounts this time of year ?

Respected Contributor

Re: How much vitamin D 3 do you take in the winter ?

I had a blood test and my doctor told me to take 2000 IU of D3 per day.  I take this dose year round.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I take 4,000 a day.  I also make sure to take vitamin K & magnesium too.

Honored Contributor

I take 50,000 IU (not to be confused with mg) D2 prescription weekly.  On top of that, I take 4,000 IU OTC D3 daily.  I don't take the D3 on the day that I take the prescrption. I take these amounts year-round and it keeps me right where I need to be. 

Esteemed Contributor

I take 8,000 IU a day and I am in the sun year round.  My levels run around 100 and that is where my healthcare provider wants them.  I can tell you that it makes a big difference in your mood.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

My Vitamin D level seems to hold fairly steady with 2,000iu/day. And, that's after having to take 50,000iu's for two rounds several years ago, when sleeping days, to work evening and night shifts. 

I'm a day person, now, and even if the weather is gloomy a lot during winter, I still walk for almost an hour most days of the week, so I get enough ViD with the sun exposure I do get and the supplement.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In 2010, my gynecologist had all of her clients tested based on a journal article that suggested that those with low Vit. D levels often developed ovarian cancer. My test results were low single digits and I was put on 10000 IU a day.Less than six months later I began my over ten year battle with ovarian cancer.My levels are higher now, but I have stayed on 10000 IU units a day.

Frequent Contributor

I take 5000 units a day all year long.  If I don't,my levels drop pretty low.  I have a test run every 6 months.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everybody , i know it varies from person to  person , ihad been out for several weeks , and am not outside for several weeks do to ongoing health issues.

Esteemed Contributor

I am on 2000 units per day per my doctor.  Several years ago I was on a much higher dose, based on my bloodwork; the right dosage makes all the difference in my overall well being.