Honored Contributor

Re: How much vitamin D 3 do you take in the winter ?

@Reever wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Reever wrote:

My doctor recommends Centrum Silver.  The label says it contains 500 IU of vitamin D.  

@Reever  Any Doctor who recommends Centrum Silver as a  multi vitamin supplement knows nothing about nutrition or vitamins... 

I trust my doctor.  I feel it best to consume a well balanced diet to get vitamins and minerals. Ive never been fond of popping pills. Doctor said she takes it herself.

I also take Centrum Silver but add a lot more Vit D to it separately. 

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I chew one a day, every day.

76ED6579-8390-4DC3-B22C-1333C5C3D0AC.jpeg

Darn , this is the brand i use , and i just ordered  , did not know it came in chewables.

Honored Contributor

4000 IU now, but will drop it to 2000 once I can get outside. Plus, whatever is in my multivitamin.

Trusted Contributor

I like to keep mine in the higher range. There is so much information now about the benefits of vitamin D. The last time I had labs done I requested this test because i want to know if what I’m taking is adequate. I take at least 5000 a day but will get more depending on what else I’m taking.

Unless one has the blood test and knows the right ranges it’s just a guess otherwise. And be aware of wrong medical advice. I’ve written about this before but once my husband was going in for labs and I suggested he requested this test. He was in the low 20 range and was told he was doing great. No, that is not great, that’s way too low. I got him to take 5000 dose of vitamin D to boost that number up.

If someone doesn’t know better they’d accept what they were told and go about their way. 

Esteemed Contributor

About a year ago my Dr recommended that i take 1,000 once a day. Last blood work I was at 30. Have to have blood work again in March. Don't know what it will be then.

Trusted Contributor

5,000 w/ K2

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take d3 1000 and a d3  5000 everyday to make 6000 per day. That was given to me by my multiple sclerosis doctor. Its been like 12 years now. They do blood work twice a year to check on it.

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I have 2,000 , and a take 2 capsules , does any one take larger amounts this time of year ?

Respected Contributor

My blood work in Jan. showed a low level so she put me on 5,000 per day.  I wasn't surprised since I've been really low several times before.  I'll probably always take some amount to keep it in line.

Esteemed Contributor

At leat 1,000UI daily.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

Due to surgery for Crohn's disease I lost my terminal ileum and have trouble absorbing fat soluble vitamins.

In addition to a scrip for 50,000 units of D2 twice a week I take calcium with D3. I just found milk with twice the amount of D and have a glass or put it in my cereal.

I haven't been able to get my D over 35; my pcp says o.k. but my gastro and endrocinologist (he's a leading D expert) want it higher.