Respected Contributor

The container says 1tsp, do any of you take more than that? It doesn’t bother my stomach so I might be able to tolerate more.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much psyllium per day?

I used to take psyllium years ago. A teaspoon sounds about right.

It's not your stomach they're worried about.

Think further down your gut.

And if you don't have enough fluid before, during, and after the psyllium you risk it forming a concrete-like blockage in your gut.

Start low, and increase fiber intake to a healthy level slowly, so your gut can get used to it. 

Respected Contributor

I take 1 Tblsp. Once per day.  I use the Konsyl brand as it does not have any artificial sweeteners or flavors or sugar in it.  My doctor told me to take this much.  I mix it in an 8 oz. glass of very cold water and then drink it right down.  I then make sure to drink plenty of water during the day.  I personally have tolerated it very well and have no problems.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

btw~ psyllium can interfere with the uptake of some meds. I used to keep it at least eight hours away from my Levothyroxine, without exception; and I tried to space it four hours away from vitamin & mineral supplements.

Esteemed Contributor

I was eating a higher amount of soluble and insoluble fiber daily than is found in the usual American diet @Grouchomarx , and that may be why a lower dose was all I needed.

This was a supplement for me, not a replacement.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all you input, I guess I’ll stick to the 1tsp as recommended on the label, to be safe. Don’t wanna be too ambitious and cause new problems!

Honored Contributor

Best to start low and adjust as needed. I used Konsyl for years and it really helped. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

The container says 1tsp, do any of you take more than that? It doesn’t bother my stomach so I might be able to tolerate more.

@Grouchomarx 

Curious since no one has asked &nbefore making recommendations, 

Why are you taking a psyllium supplement?

Are you taking any other medical/herbal supplements?

Are you eating a high fiber diet?

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

Curious since no one has asked &nbefore making recommendations, 

Why are you taking a psyllium supplement?

Are you taking any other medical/herbal supplements?

Are you eating a high fiber diet?

I’m just trying to improve gut health, which had been a little sluggish lately. I eat a low carb diet so extra fiber always helps. I also want the benefits to BP and cholesterol, which can always have room for improvement. Also, it gets me to drink more water. I do not take any Rx drugs, only daily med is Nexium once in the morning. I take the psyllium at night so it shouldn’t interfere. I try to eat as much veggies and a bit of fruit daily but I’m never perfect. Having this on hand is helpful. I just wanted some advice on optimal dosage.

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx- If the container says 1tsp, then that's dosage for that particular product.  Too much can bloating and cramping.