Honored Contributor

Re: How hot is too hot for you to go on a walk?

Heat Stroke is a life-threatening medical emergency. The main sign is a core body temperature of 105 F. The skin is red, dry and hot. The person may have shallow breathing, hallucinations, be unconscious or seem lethargic and confused and may vomit. They may go into a coma. Do not give fluids. Our Florida paramedics are always rescuing golphers here. Runners have enough sense to run in the very early morning, predawn, or at night. Other heat illness can precede HS. Heat exhaustion is common here. Persons have profuse sweating and need to be cooled down. People will soak a person with this and get them out of the heat and sun. Nausea can prevent drinking. Drink as soon as possible. I know some of you are driven to do your runs, but please look up these two heat illnesses and don't be foolish.

Esteemed Contributor

It is 83 in so cal and 5pm so I am thinking of it. If it was higher and earlier no. I did walk at 7 this morning but is so boring inside; same old news. I already seen a movie I recorded. My legs need a workout.

Honored Contributor

Call 911 immediately — this is a medical emergency. Move the person to a cooler environment. Reduce the person's body temperature with cool cloths or even a bath. Do NOT give fluids. Heat Stroke.

Respected Contributor

I usually will walk until it is in the 90's but I take water and wait til 6:30 or 7 to go. I don't walk my dogs if it's above 80 or so. I mean, imagine walking around at 80 with a fur jacket, without shoes. Yes, I know dogs have pads on their feet, but it absolutely infuriates me when I see people walking dogs on pavement when it's 90+ outside. That is animal ABUSE. At least take them to the grass. Please. And take water for them!!
Respected Contributor

I don't deny there are people who are not protective of their dogs paws, but please do not assume that everyone you see is ignoring their pets well-being. There are products available to use on the paws to insulate them from hot and rough surfaces that are not visible to someone just looking at the dog. If you see a dog on hot pavement, feel free to ask if the owner about it.

Super Contributor

During the summer and long daylight hours I walk after 7:00 pm. By that time the temperature is down to around 80. Then I'll walk.

Honored Contributor

Anything over 80 is too hot for me, but I've been living in a cool coastal climate for many years. If I was acclimated to a warmer climate, as I was where I lived previously, I'd bump that number up to 90. And this is without humidity. I live in a dry climate and had a real problem with humidity when I was on the East Coast a few weeks ago.
Esteemed Contributor

The heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity. I have started to wear a straw hat instead of a visor and I have water with me. Last summer I would soak a kitchen towel with cold water and put it over the back of my neck. That really helped. One of my daughter's suggested that I put the wet towel in the freezer for a bit before walking. Haven't tried that yet. When the humidity goes above 70, I try to stay in or just walk around the yard.

Super Contributor

Its more the humidity for me. I've gone for a walk when it was 111F in AZ where its dry. Yes I walked slow and had to take a couple shade breaks but I had a nice long walk, gone hiking in the 90s in az as well.

Here on the east coast, if the humidity is real bad sometimes the 70s is too hot. My feet and hands swell something fierce in the humidity and it becomes painful to move.

As far as the dogs go, they have different tolarances as well. One of our homes had a deck and it got hot and my chihuahua would lay on the hot deck in the sun. It was near the door so at first I thought he just wanted to come in. I would pick him up and bring him in and he'd go right over to the door to be let back out and would head right back to that burning patch of sun

Esteemed Contributor

Too hot today because of the humidity, and I don't know if I'll get that walk in. A bike ride, yes, as long as it doesn't cloud up too much. I really don't like walking too late, like when the sun is near setting. Then again, that's when the critters come out, which is nice to spot.