Honored Contributor

Re: How hot is too hot for you to go on a walk?

How hot is too hot for you to go on a walk?

Everyone should be honest about their physical conditioning level and also their body's acclimation to heat and humidity. No temp or humidity level ever stopped me from running. Sure I ran slower and sometimes walked more than ran, but I still did my program. Will say that I worked in a factory that on a cool day was in the mid 90 degree range and I am talking even in the winter months here in the Midwest. So my body was well acclimated to heat and humidity. I would not even turn the AC on in my car on the way home because I always did my training after I got off of work regardless of the weather.

Please everyone don't attempt doing something if there is even the slightest doubt about what I mentioned in my above paragraph. It is not worth the risk and the benefits do not outweigh the risks for some of us. Missing a day or 2 is not going to change anyone's conditioning level enough to make a difference in anything, even if training for a competition.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I make a point to only walk my dogs at the neighborhood park in heat. They walk only on the grass, and there's even a "no fishing allowed" pond there for them to splash and play in.

Respected Contributor

On 6/23/2014 hckynut said:

How hot is too hot for you to go on a walk?

Everyone should be honest about their physical conditioning level and also their body's acclimation to heat and humidity. No temp or humidity level ever stopped me from running. Sure I ran slower and sometimes walked more than ran, but I still did my program. Will say that I worked in a factory that on a cool day was in the mid 90 degree range and I am talking even in the winter months here in the Midwest.

Please everyone don't attempt doing something if there is even the slightest doubt about what I mentioned in my above paragraph. It is not worth the risk and the benefits do not outweigh the risks for some of us. Missing a day or 2 is not going to change anyone's conditioning level enough to make a difference in anything, even if training for a competition.

You're right John. Also important to remember if you're out walking keep in mind you have to have enough stamina to make it back home! I always carry my cellphone, just in case. If there's ever a point that either I or either of my dogs start showing signs of distress, help is just a call away...and we'd find some shade to wait.

Honored Contributor

I live in a warm climate & it is usually hot. This time of year it is always hot but I am acclimated & in decent health so the heat really does not bother me.

I generally do not walk mid-day when it is the worst. But I usually walk when it is in the 80s simply because it is normal this time of year. I do like to walk after it rains when I can. It is usually cooler then. I generally walk in the evening but the coolest time of day is early morning.

Honored Contributor

I try to get my walk over before 8:30 am, it is a bit cooler, but the humidity is usually higher, so don't know which is worse, but if I don't do it early it seems it doesn't get done.

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

It was 83 when I was out earlier - about an hour. Warm but a slight breeze.

Super Contributor

high 80's-90's is too hot... time for the gym.

Respected Contributor

I don't go for my run if it is 88 or higher. I normally wait until it cools down than go.

Deb

Honored Contributor

When the dew point gets over 60 it is too humid for me.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/23/2014 brii said:

It depends on the humidity for me.

It starts to get uncomfortable when it reaches the 90s. I see people out running and I'm amazed at how they do it.

Stay hydrated...

Same here, the high humidity makes me feel sick..low 80's with low humidity would be my max~70's even better!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West