Honored Contributor

Re: How hot is too hot for you to go on a walk?

On 6/23/2014 brii said:

It depends on the humidity for me.

It starts to get uncomfortable when it reaches the 90s. I see people out running and I'm amazed at how they do it.

Stay hydrated...

This. Every morning when I've left the house it's been 87% humidity this week and I'm miserable just walking from my door to my car even though the actual temperature has been only 73 degrees. Normally I would love walking in 73 degree weather, but not in that humidity.

Coming home at night it's been closer to 87 degrees and 63% humidity and I don't want to be out in that, either.

Generally, I'd rather walk indoors if it's over 82 and the sun is out in force. Where I live, it can also be 82 and dark out. There's a wonderful outdoor mall near me and I love to go walking there on summer nights because it's well lit and safe and they sometimes have live music. If the humidity is low, I don't even notice it's 82 outside when the sun is down and there's music and a great atmosphere.

Honored Contributor

I was just looking at a garment online that you freeze before you head out, and the cool lasts for 25-35 minutes. Expensive, but I'm considering it.
Honored Contributor

When the humidity level is high the natural body cooling devices cannot function. Moisture on the body has to be evaporated for the body to cool itself. High humidity along with no wind moving over the body almost completely negates the body's ability to cool itself.

This has nothing to do with certain people, unless they have some type of physical issues that cause this physiological way of cooling the body, not to be working correctly. Humidity effects everyone that has no physical problems of this nature. The only thing that makes it easier for some than others is that some can acclimate their body to learn to function at a higher level in spite of this partial lack of natural cooling.Those that can acclimate usually also are those at the higher levels of physical fitness. This is much like those that acclimate their body to perform better even at very high altitudes where oxygen is much more scarce than at "sea level".

High levels of moisture in the air and no wind are the hardest to overcome but not impossible. While I certainly do not suggest anyone do something that is dangerous, and those that are not in good enough physical condition should not attempt to try to acclimate their body to very high moisture levels even with cooler temperatures.

I've met many and told many what I have typed above and a whole lot of them did not know the reasons that high humidity effects them so much and high temperatures do not. Not saying anything negative about anyone that does not know this. I am merely stating my experiences with hundreds, if not more, over my many years of being involved in many types of physical fitness ventures along with offering training tips to those that have asked me.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

On 6/26/2014 LipstickDiva said:

The humidity and dew point are more of the problem for me. The last several days, our dew point has been in the tropical level even though the temps. haven't been all that bad.

I'm not a fan of heat anyhow so if I'm the least bit comfortable outside, I can do the treadmill inside.

Neither of my dogs handle heat well at all either.

I think a lot of dogs can't handle heat. I would never risk taking mine out in high heat. I'm sure they'd act like they "love" it because they'd be with me (that's what dogs do, they're happy with their people), but you can bet they're thinking they'd rather be home out of the sun and not be hot and miserable, and maybe burning their paws. I just don't know why people insist on being out with their dogs when it's so hot.

Respected Contributor

Of course here, in Michigan, it would depend on the humidity, which can make a big difference. With normal humidity I can run/walk into the mid-80s. Anything higher and I would probably just slow my pace and shorten my distance, along with drinking extra water. I'm usually adapting to gradual overall temperature changes, meaning that if it gets into the high 80s I am probably conditioned somewhat by having been walking in the high 70s to mid 80s for a while. 90s and fuggedaboutit!