Honored Contributor

Re: How do you lose belly weight?

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@newjersey  Congragulation on the weight loss.  While you may not eliminate all of it, try working your core with workouts specifically for that area.  If you tighten up the core muscles, you can whittle off inches. Turn on some music and do the jerk, twist and other dances that you can feel in your abs for at least 15 minutes a day.   

I never heard of "jerk and twist" in dancing LOL!  Could you describe it?  I have to admit it sounds painful LOL!  I am just not up to speed on it I am sure.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sadly, the truth is that nothing helps reduce belly fat. As you age, you will naturally have more fat, relatively speaking, around your middle. Sorry, but cutting out fizzy drinks, artificial sweeteners, eating plant based food will have NO impact whatsoever. The truth needs to be spoken. If you jiggle and that bothers you, I suggest Spanx or Yummie undergarments. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite  posted "I never heard of "jerk and twist" in dancing LOL!  Could you describe it?  I have to admit it sounds painful LOL!  I am just not up to speed on it I am sure."

You must be younger than some of us.  Those were dances from the '60's.  Chubby Checkers started the twist craze.  With the jerk you jerk your arms up and down alternating while your core tightens.  The twist is like drying your back with a towel while twisting at your waist.  I'm sure you can find you tube videos of them.  

Honored Contributor

“...nothing” helps reduce belly fat?

That’s the saddest thing I’ve read!

Adipose tissue (in this case, belly fat) is needed

for health BUT too much....it’s a gateway to many health issues.

Insulin resistance is caused by fat in tissues not designed

to store fat and belly fat is one of those areas (adipose tissue).

Increases heart attacks/strokes are also related to large

amounts of adipose tissue.  We must be vigilant to reduce

body fat for optimum health. 

Scale weight/BMI can only tell so much.

Measuring waist to hip ratio is a wonderful health indicator.

Food is the first line line of defense.

Like the saying goes, Food can Kill or Food can Heal.

The quickest, cheapest, most sustainable way to

achieve optimum health & healthy weight/body fat is

low fat whole foods plant based lifestyle!

🌼💛

Trusted Contributor

A high protein/low fat diet always works for me.  The fat melts off, even with little or no exercise.  I'm surprised, though, with all of the walking you do, you can't melt the belly fat.      

Respected Contributor

After menopause I gained and lost the same 5-10 pounds dozens of times.  Admittedly my diet was far from nutritious.  Despite the fact I exercised daily, I could not lose my pounch.  As I was about to turn 60, I hired a nutritionist and trainer.  A proper diet helped but my trainer told me no exercise was going to give me a flat stomach again.  I had a tummy tuck and breast lift.  I am now 67 (and a half) and my stomach is still completely flat.

Respected Contributor

@Pookthanks now I do remember.  

As for belly fat my H should have zero fat on his....he does so much elliptical it's crazy!  I mean easily 1 1/2 hrs to 2hrs on it....going fast.  He thinks it's gonna do this for him but I can tell you it's not working.  Neither did the treadmill....in fact I can think of many people who spend the day on their feet working with huge guts!  So that doesn't work.

I am sure diet would help but finding the one for you that produces the results you are looking for.  Also as we age going thur meno (myself) this seems to be the area that wants to keep and add the fat!  I am not having a issue with belly fat but I am not following anything specific for it either.  I try to eat healthy....I haven't drank pop for more then 10yrs....just coffee in morning and water all day long.  But I do still eat some donuts...not super often but I do.  Guess what I am saying is try something different and see if it helps. 

Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

I've lost 45 pounds but not much has come off my stomach. I walk two hours a day, five days a week, don't drink alcohol, drink plenty of water, don't eat fried foods and very little dessert.   The weight has come off in every part of me except the stomach. I don't understand.   Any suggestions?

@newjersey

Body weight comes in several forms. To name just a few: water/fat/muscle and skin. Which of these is yours, or do you really know. Only very accurate way I know of is Submersion Body Fat Analysis. Most human bodies lose weight in this manner.

The last body area it is put on, is the first area it is lost. The first area it is put on is the last area it will be lost. You walk 2 hours 5 days a week? Why, and using what method other than putting 1 foot in front of the other? I am interested in how you walk, not how long or how far. Big difference in the "how one walks", other than the amount of time and/or the  distance covered.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Bloat and fat are two different issues.

Bloat has very much to do with the health of your gut microbiome.

Fat has very much to do with eating too much, particularly eating too much of the wrong foods.

Both are improved by a whole foods diet. i.e., a diet that contains a lot of fiber.  Fiber is known to be crucial for the health of the gut (and that health spreads throughout the rest of the body). 

What can't be done is to reduce belly fat by exercise.  Exercise works on the underlying muscle and support sturctures, not the fat.  However, if you are burning more energy than you are ingesting and the belly fat was the last fat to show up on your body, then you will lose the belly fat by default.  It's not the exercise, it's the energy expenditure.

If your problem is bloat, however, exercise can help your digestive function and contribute to minimizing the bloat.

And I must respond to the poster who said you can't lose it as you age.  BALONEY!  I see people do it (I work as a trainer).  Not very often, as most people just don't have the discipline or understanding of the proper tools needed) but it does indeed happen for those who DO.  As an almost 66 year old woman myself, I can tell you that the fat I carry on my belly is directly related to what I put in my mouth.  It's not the weight on the scale and it's not doing 5000 crunches a day to work my "core" (oh, don't get me started on the "core" - the most misunderstood muscle group and function among most everyone).  

There is an old adage in fitness/sports training and it will FOREVER be true.

"You Can't Outtrain a Bad Diet".

That said (in brief, because I could talk about this for a long time! - and annoy a lot of people here, no doubt Cat LOL), if you want to activate those core muscles and have fun whilst doing it, get yourself a weighted exercise hoop (not one of those light kid hoops they sell at WalMart) and learn how to hoop!  Waist hooping, hip hooping, shoulder hooping, leg hooping.   Very nice work for your midsection.  Lots of instructional vids on YouTube.  Just a thought and an idea.