Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your spirits up when you live with someone chronically ill?

@INDIANA BONES: Thank you for sharing your journey. I totally understand. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat

It sounds like you are doing allthe right things and you have gotten good suggestions here. It is not easy for either one of you. I agree with taking care of yourself and giving yourself some "you" time. I know that you cherish the good days when they come.

doxie

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sparky3333 wrote:

@house_cat many good recommendations here so nothing to add for you.

I would like to suggest magnetism malate supplement for your husband.Many with fibro do very well taking this and for myself it has gotten rid of my back pain which could be  psoritic arthritis....I started with 4  at night of Designs for Health brand and after a week dropped to 3...I have read reviews on amazon where others with fibro take 4 a day everyday...You might be able to take more if needed but i would research it..Here is a article i found and there is many more if you google..Wishing you both the best of luck..

https://www.verywellhealth.com/magnesium-malate-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-715798

@Sparky3333  thank you for posting about this.  I was looking over at Amazon ... is this a capsule or hard tablet form?  Some talk about this and say it is very large?  

I would like to try it but am concerned I won't be able to swallow large tablets.  Right now I have a bottle of Citracal and the calcium pills are HUGE and I can't take them....tried cutting them in half and the sharp edges hurt and it's still too big.  

Any help on this is appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee

As you and your DH will be in mine.  Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite  Some people with swallowing issues crush their pills and take with applesauce.  They say it works very well.

Valued Contributor

I haven't dealt with that issue, but when things fall apart, gratitude is my best coping skill.  I think of all the things I have, all the places I've been, and the people who it is my priviledge to know.

I'm careful with what I put into my mind when I'm overwhelmed.  I look for joyous movies, books, and music. 

My faith informs me that there is a purpose to our lives and our trials.  Perhaps that doesn't apply to you, but it strengthens me, so I throw it out there. 

I wish you all the best.

Valued Contributor

It must be very difficult for you to live with someone who is chronacaally ill. I too am chronically ill and have been since I was 38 . I am now 68 and am still married to the same guy. He has always worked full time and I stayed home . Many years I was bedriden but raised 2 kids , I cooked meals [Queen of crockpot cooking] . My husbandmade me luch and left me a thermos of hot tea every day , I made kids lunches , Got them ready for school and looked after them , I even did food opping when I could , On cold wintry days I left the groceries in the car and he rought them in when he got home . My kids learned to do their own laundry.because I couldn't go downstairs as I fell once.After I had hip replacements things got better .my kids are grown and out . they turned out pretty good . Now my husband still works and my walking is limited as I hav several illnesss , Psoriatic arthritis ,lupus ,sjogrens and  R.A. Every nite we watch a movie at nine pm . I usually pick the movie. We dion;t go out much but we do go out. Has your husband tried cymbalta , Its an antidepressant but also helps back pain especially if taken with analgesic. CBD oil would be good for him . There is no thc in it. [The substance thatmakes you high] It has a calming effect and relieves pain. It is legal in all states and comes in a liquid bottle.Having a cat makesme happy as I am never alone . it is very comforting. I live in a small town so there are a lot of outside concerts and activities , Yes I like a trip to the dollar store too . Going out for an ice crem or just coffee and a drive is okay with me too . I don't have such a bad life , It could be worse. I  am not alone .

cathy from ma.

Respected Contributor

My husband was quite sick for awhile. I didn’t get out much at all. When he was sleeping I would go outside. I would take a walk, sweep the porch, work in my garden. All these things helped me. When I went back in I usually felt better. Inside I worked on a puzzle, played solitaire, of course an old movie, and always said a prayer. Life had changed no doubt about it. Prayers for you both.

Super Contributor

@tsavorite hi i just logged in and saw this...The ones i got are a big capsule..i have no issues taking all at one time but if you do you could break open and add to some liquid..Hope they help you!...Take care!

Valued Contributor

@SouthernBee thanks so very much hun.  I don't complain as everyone has something on their plates that is worrisome.  I go tomorrow for a new one, skin cancer. Have no idea why I go as I my lungs can't endure the meds but I guess at least they will start removing the spots.

Certainly wish I were well enough to tour the country and show pics of what I looked like young and doing all my activities and what has happened from my bad choices in my life.  If I could change the mind of ONE young adult that would be ONE young adult with hopefully a LONG life that is fruitful because of good health.   

Best wishes and I am a  Christian so I myself Pray for all.