Honored Contributor

Re: How do you all choose a doctor?

@panda1234 doesn't sound silly at all! I'm usually skeptical of any doctor that can get me in within a few days, lol. I don't know if that skepticism is truly justified or not but unless they just had a cancellation, it seems strange they can see you so soon. There is a fine line though, I also don't want to wait months and months before I can get it. That could spell trouble too. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sfnative great info, thank you! I do like to look at where they went to school and have just been reading about making sure they have other fellowships and are board certified. For example, many doctors that do surgeries do not seem to have the F.A.C.S. which seems like something I'd want my surgeon to have, among other things. I think I've finally found the ob/gyn who has FACS and FACOB and was schooled at Cornell and Columbia. I will have to make sure she deals with fibroids though. Now just need an endo and a PC and I think I'm set. I wish there was a way to email to someone on the forums, as I'd really like to ask you a private message.

Honored Contributor

As a hospital employee, I was able to learn a lot about the physicians on staff, which made the selection process very easy.  The surgeon who does my colonoscopies is the son of the surgeon who removed my tonsils 41 years ago.   I am so used to being able to choose physicians that it has been a major adjustment for me to deal with government processes thru the VA system for my husband's care.   

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze

If you're thinking about DaVinci, you can try here:

http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-gynecology/surgeon-locator/

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sfnative great info, thank you! I do like to look at where they went to school and have just been reading about making sure they have other fellowships and are board certified. For example, many doctors that do surgeries do not seem to have the F.A.C.S. which seems like something I'd want my surgeon to have, among other things. I think I've finally found the ob/gyn who has FACS and FACOB and was schooled at Cornell and Columbia. I will have to make sure she deals with fibroids though. Now just need an endo and a PC and I think I'm set. I wish there was a way to email to someone on the forums, as I'd really like to ask you a private message.

@HappyDaze

Are you on the boards right now?  If you are, let me know right know and I will post my email for one minute, then delete it.  I did this once before and it worked out well.  Let me know.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze

Are you on the boards right now?  If you are, let me know right know and I will post my email for one minute, then delete it.  I did this once before and it worked out well.  Let me know.

@sfnative yes I'm here! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze

@sfnative yes I'm here! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative got it!! I emailed you. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@panda1234 doesn't sound silly at all! I'm usually skeptical of any doctor that can get me in within a few days, lol. I don't know if that skepticism is truly justified or not but unless they just had a cancellation, it seems strange they can see you so soon. There is a fine line though, I also don't want to wait months and months before I can get it. That could spell trouble too. Smiley Happy

I have taken one of those next day appointments out of desperation and the doctor has not been up to par. And I have waited the 3 months to get in and like you said, that is not a good thing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't your PCP recommend someone? That's how it is usually done.