Honored Contributor

Re: How do you all choose a doctor?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Didn't your PVP recommend someone? That's how it is usually done.

if you read my other comments, you will see the answer to that. Plus even if my PC wants to send me to someone, I still research that doctor. They don't always have the best recommendations- like someone else mentioned, sometimes they just have a list of doctors to refer you to but it isn't like they really know or recommend that doctor per se. I hope people don't blindly go to doctors without researching them a bit first.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Didn't your PVP recommend someone? That's how it is usually done.

if you read my other comments, you will see the answer to that. Plus even if my PC wants to send me to someone, I still research that doctor. They don't always have the best recommendations- like someone else mentioned, sometimes they just have a list of doctors to refer you to but it isn't like they really know or recommend that doctor per se. I hope people don't blindly go to doctors without researching them a bit first.

@HappyDaze

@151949

Hi Happy Daze,

I wanted to touch base with you regarding the bolded language above.

Prior to moving to Portland, I asked my Hand Surgeon if he by any chance could recommend a Hand Surgeon in Portland.  Without skipping a beat he said Dr. X.  I trusted my doc in La Jolla, so was really pleased to have his recommendation.

Fast forward a year and a half, when I was having a lot of CRPS pain in my right hand and wanted specialized treatment for it from an occupational therapist.  I had occasion to look the recommended physician up on the internet.  OMG!  99% of the patients who had seen him had nothing but horrible things to say about him.   He actually did harm to several of them. 

It could be that my doc in La Jolla met him at an Ortho convention - who knows.  All I know is that I'm still looking.

Best wishes in your journey to seek out a new internist.

(Unbeknownst to me, my internist put in a STAT order for my MRI, so I had it 2 days after I saw her last Monday and now know that my issue is disk material sitting on the nerve root at L4-L5.  I'm waiting today to hear from the neurourgeon in Portland she's referred me to: I've seen him previously for my neck and he's pretty darn good.)

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Doctors PAY to have his/her name listed as "Best Doctor in Your Town"

You are very correct and usually by the hospital .....the best doctors are not always the best.  

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@granddi wrote:

No, what I am referring to is not the same. It something they do every year and use a variety of criteria to determine the top doctor-including doctor's opinions, customer ratings, medical review board info, etc.

Castle and Connolly - yes many hospitals and doctors do pay to be on the list.  My now retired physician was on the list and he told me the hospital submitted his name.  Others I go to confirmed this as well. 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@granddi wrote:

No, what I am referring to is not the same. It something they do every year and use a variety of criteria to determine the top doctor-including doctor's opinions, customer ratings, medical review board info, etc.

Castle and Connolly - yes many hospitals and doctors do pay to be on the list.  My now retired physician was on the list and he told me the hospital submitted his name.  Others I go to confirmed this as well. 

I am not referring to that type of list but thanks for your input anyway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@HappyDaze

@151949

Hi Happy Daze,

I wanted to touch base with you regarding the bolded language above.

Prior to moving to Portland, I asked my Hand Surgeon if he by any chance could recommend a Hand Surgeon in Portland.  Without skipping a beat he said Dr. X.  I trusted my doc in La Jolla, so was really pleased to have his recommendation.

Fast forward a year and a half, when I was having a lot of CRPS pain in my right hand and wanted specialized treatment for it from an occupational therapist.  I had occasion to look the recommended physician up on the internet.  OMG!  99% of the patients who had seen him had nothing but horrible things to say about him.   He actually did harm to several of them. 

It could be that my doc in La Jolla met him at an Ortho convention - who knows.  All I know is that I'm still looking.

Best wishes in your journey to seek out a new internist.

(Unbeknownst to me, my internist put in a STAT order for my MRI, so I had it 2 days after I saw her last Monday and now know that my issue is disk material sitting on the nerve root at L4-L5.  I'm waiting today to hear from the neurourgeon in Portland she's referred me to: I've seen him previously for my neck and he's pretty darn good.)

@sfnative thank you for all the great info! I appreciate it!