Honored Contributor

How do people THINK they got the virus?

Have you heard anyone who got the virus say how they think they got it?  

I see a lot of people interviewed on tv but I haven't hear anyone say how they think they got it.

Just curious. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do people THINK they got the virus?

My daughter in law tested postive.  At the time she said she thought she might have gotten it from her 2 year old daughter who is in daycare.  My DIL just felt like she had a bad cold and was all better maybe 10 days later.  Now she is doubting she actually had it at all and thinks she got a false positive.  Her mother (who is a bit of a know it all and lives in another state) does not think she had it either, though I don't know how she would know that.  No one else around her got it that they know of.  Her husband, my son, tested negative.  My husband and I did not get sick, and we were seeing her every day.  This virus is just the craziest of things.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

My state puts stats out there for nursing homes, health care, direct patient care and workplace.

But about 50% of all others is unknown.  We do pretty good on contact tracing.

To me, that means that it is out there pretty much everywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

I know one person who got it from his son. They did not live together, but the son helped his father quite a bit in the fathers home. I don't think they wore masks. This was several months ago. 

Another lady I know who got it is in a nursing home, they were not allowing visitors, so I think she had to have gotten it from staff.

There was a group of several, some of whom I know, who go to the same church, had a revival, when we all knew that was a big NO, and many of them got it. 2 of those people ended up giving it to elderly parents who passed away.

Honored Contributor

I've only heard where people think they may have gotten it or not had any idea.

I've also thought and had others think and be afraid of getting it from someone or someplace they came in contact with whether or not they knew of someone there who had it if that makes sense.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I don't think anyone who has tested positive for Covid has any clue as to where they may have contracted it, it could've been any person you passed by in any parking lot.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

My own view is that contact tracing is largely a waste of time and of resources. It seems clear this virus has no rhyme or reason, at least none that 'science' has yet discovered. It appears as though all the time, energy and funding being allocated to contact tracing might be better allocated to still more research into trying to discover what makes this thing tick. Clearly, none of the precautions so effusively discussed and demanded to this point, testing, contact tracing, masking, distancing and all the hand washing in the world has made a dent and a permanent stay at home order, which is what it's beginning to appear it might take, just isn't realistic.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Most people are getting it on the job or from family members.

Or they're confined in an institution like a prison or nursing home and staff infected somone and then everyone infected each other.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I think a lot of people I see think it's floating in the atmosphere we are breathing when there is no one around, only nature & the trees.

Respected Contributor

My brother-in-law got it at work from his boss (who originally claimed he had allergies) at the end of this past July.  My sister got it from her husband three days later. They were both quite sick from it and visited the ER but did not have to be admitted.  He lost 20 lbs. in the 14 days that he had it.  My sister had it 10 days and not quite as bad as her husband.  As I write we have a friend who got Covid and is in the ICU sedated on a ventilator for over two weeks and a couple days ago had to be put on dialysis. I don’t know where he got it but other than being in his early 70s he has no other underlying conditions that I know of and was physically in great shape.