Respected Contributor
On 1/25/2015 madcity411 said:

How do you stop smoking? STOP buying the cigarettes!!!

Does this apply to drinking alcohol, too?

Respected Contributor

I quit cold turkey....hands down the hardest thing I've ever done in my life....it's all about willpower and that desire to quit.....and I know....yes...even after 14 years that if I give in to an urge to have even one cigarette I would be right back smoking full time as if I never quit....my urges are few and very far between but yes...even after 14 years I get an occassional urge...I tell myself that 1 is one too many and how stupid/foolish I would be to start smoking again.....BTW...I had tried a couple times before...1st time lasted a week or two.....2nd and IMO my 1st real attempt I lasted 14 months and then had that 1 cigarette that put me back to smoking again for another 3 years before I finally quit this last time....I know it's hard...but you just have to make up your mind not to do it and stick to it...do not give in no matter what.

Good luck!

Super Contributor
On 1/25/2015 fortune said:
On 1/25/2015 madcity411 said:

How do you stop smoking? STOP buying the cigarettes!!!

Does this apply to drinking alcohol, too?

Yup!

Honored Contributor

Acquaint yourself with a few people with lung cancer. I can't even count the number of friends we've lost.

Super Contributor

Nicotine lozenges help a lot. Also, staying busy and exercising (walking)

I didn't mean to be so simplistic about it, but my relatives all struggled with this and it

is a struggle! Nothing simple about any formula to help someone stop. Try and try and

it will happen for you. I've read that many former smokers tried many times to stop before they succeeded.

Wishing you the best!

Super Contributor

I smoked for at least 35 years, if not longer. Have a friend who was diagnosed with copd and she smoked longer than I did, but knew she needed to quit. She started on electronic cigs...something I knew nothing about, but..joined her in this new adventure to help her along. We did research and tried many different brands and e-juice together and finally hit on what was right for each of us. She went for 0 nicotine right off...I went with the lowest amound. It has been over a year now for both of us. The hardest part was the research. I found out for me it wasn't actually the cigarette and all the chemicals that were addicting to me, but the physical act...I am now cigarette free and use my e-cig when I feel the need. I know not all will agree with this, but for me it was the best way, as I had tried many times before to just go cold turkey...chantix, patches, gum, to no avail. I think there is no "right way" just whatever way works for you and sometimes that takes alot of trial and error.

Honored Contributor

I'm 55...started smoking when I was 11 and in 2004 was diagnosed with lung cancer. I quit on that very day. I had no options. Now a 11 yr lung cancer survivor, and have still not chosen to have another cigarette. I miss smoking terribly even to this day. My DH has never stopped. He now uses the e-cigs. I just choose to live...

Regular Contributor

If it was that important to you .... you would stop. I stopped cold turkey and used tic tacs. It wasn't that hard.

Contributor

Wow.

This thread is from 2011.

Regular Contributor

I hope you have luck with this, it's hard. Blessings.