Super Contributor
There is no easy way to stop. You just have to quit and ride it out. Don't tell yourself that if you screw up and have a smoke you might as well just keep on going. Just tell yourself you screwed up and keep going from there. They electronic cigarette may help, but they didnt have those when I quit 30 years ago.
Occasional Contributor

Taper off. It works

Esteemed Contributor

My cousin finally quit using hypnosis, that would be my choice! Good luck!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/25/2015 bonnielu said:

Question, perhaps naive, but I mean well. I need to stop eating an overload of sugar and sweets and desserts. I am essentially an addict, I admit it and that addiction has cost me.

I finally had it... plain and simple. I DO NOT BUY ANY, I DO NOT GO NEAR IT, IT IS NOT IN MY HOUSE OR IN MY POSSESSION.

People have to eat, so eating addictions are hard because food is always around. HOWEVER CIGARETTES.... WHY DO PEOPLE GO OUT AND BUY THEM. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO STOP IF YOU HAVE TO get out of bed, get dressed, drive distances to get it?

Just a quick comment, I have not had a dessert or faux dessert in three months... artificial subs as well are off the table. I have lost 25 pounds and the craving is gone, hopefully. But because I will never know, I cannot even test it out.

Its the nicotine and other additives they ADD to make it so addictive! I never smoked, I would rather spend my money on clothes..lol! However..I cannot have any sugar in the house..I hear it calling my name..and its terrible for me in alot of ways..but I know that why I got diabetes. We all have some kind of addiction!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

What did it for me was watching my brother being wheeled out of surgery minus a lung. He is now deceased. I smoked for over 30 years, watched my dad die from lung cancer, still smoked. Four years ago last November 1, I put them down. I had a two year old box of Chantix in the cupboard, took it for 30 days, and didn't buy any more. I still have half a carton of cigs in the pantry just to prove to myself that I'm truly done. FYI: cutting down does not work for me. It's all or nothing at all. My dh and I loved to smoke. It has become so socially unacceptable, that it wasn't as much fun anymore. We mostly just smoked at home on our deck. He quit a few weeks after I did. I wish you the best of luck. You will be happy and feel so much better when you quit.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor
This may sound gross but keep an old ashtray with old butts wrapped up outside, whip the bag off when you want one breath deep the smell should give you more help in quitting!
Valued Contributor
To the poster who freed her self from sugar,I also have that addition, but smoking is so different than sugar, it has been liken to herion and the absolute h$$$to quit ,the craving that your body/mind wants, anybody who has quit or is trying to is one who needs praise, keep at it!
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/25/2015 number one queen said: To the poster who freed her self from sugar,I also have that addition, but smoking is so different than sugar, it has been liken to herion and the absolute h$$$to quit ,the craving that your body/mind wants, anybody who has quit or is trying to is one who needs praise, keep at it!

I understand your point. But food is right there in front of you front and center. You cannot avoid food. You need it. But tobacco.... it does not grow in your house, it cannot find its way in. You got to go get it. I understand the addiction, believe me but it is not something that is in your fridge, freezer, pantry, etc. IF YOU DON'T ACTIVELY BUY IT AND BRING IT IN THERE IS NO WAY TO GET IT EVEN WITH INTENSE CRAVINGS.

I wish everyone well with any kind of cravings. The most deadly thing is you can never ever give in even after YOU HAVE BEAT IT. It finds you if you seek it out. I guess the trick is to keep it out of your path.

Trusted Contributor

I quit by using the nicotine lozenges. I'd tried and failed before. The last time I just told myself I was going to put off having another cigarette. As I built up more time since the last one, I developed more motivation to see how long I could make it. That will be 5 years in May. It also helps to realize you have to break your ritual of smoking habit, as well as the nicotine addiction. Find something to keep your hands busy when you would normally smoke. Brushing your teeth often, and drinking more water helps, too. Good luck to you!

Super Contributor

How do you stop smoking? STOP buying the cigarettes!!!