Super Contributor

You need to REALLY WANT to stop. I threw the cigarettes away in 2006 - stopped cold turkey - and never looked back.

Don't look for a ""crutch"" ... just STOP and make up your mind that you won't smoke anymore.

I had been smoking a lot longer than you when I stopped.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a thread from 2011 resurected by the troll. Does anyone know if purrmom was successful?

Trusted Contributor

I smoked for 40years and I was a two pack a day smoker. I got that nasty cigarette cough as well. On September 24th, 2014 my life changed. I had a Heart Attack. My Cardiologist told me when I woke up after having a my Artery cleaned out and a Stent put in, I had to stop Smoking. Well my Mother Passed away at 42 and I got lucky so I quit the day of my Attack. I so far haven't smoked a cigarette since. I will say I still would love to have one just one. The reality is it may make me start again and I can't take that chance. I will say for me I had to quit cold turkey since I was in ICU. I sure hope that urge to smoke goes away soon. Four months today and the urge to smoke is still there. I'm on four medications for my Heart and have to take everyday. One alone cost 100.00's for 15 pills and I have to have it. I'm also on blood thinners as well. I want to be here as long as the Lord will allow me too. I hope something I have said here will help someone.

Respected Contributor

Super Contributor
Cut drinking straws the size of cigarette rean for the straw then u are only inhaling air, I stopped this way 10 years ago its the hand to mouth movement. There was a man at the plant he also stopped this way.
Contributor

I quit smoking on January 3, 1997 under the same circumstances as Katey1261. I had a very large heart attack. I had been smoking for about 25 years and was 41 years old. I also quit cold turkey in ICU. The nurses told me that after 72 hours the physical addiction was gone - now I just had to deal with the mental part. I was scared to death of another heart attack and never smoked another cigarette. I am SO HAPPY to be a non-smoker. Recently my sister was smoking near me and I started coughing and told her I couldn't stand near her while smoking. She remarked that she couldn't believe I once was a big smoker. Sometimes I can't believe it either. I know its hard to give up but just being able to take a big deep breath feels so wonderful. I had gotten to the point where I couldn't take a deep breath and if I started laughing it would turn into a coughing fit. I smoked about a pack and a half a day. Good luck to you Katey. Keep off the smokes. I also take heart medications but knock on wood have not had another cardiac event since the heart attack.

Honored Contributor

I was a 2.5 pack a day smoker. I quit Nov 17, 1981. I went through an experimental program through a state university research office where we literally doubled our smoking over a 6 week period. I knew I could never wean off of them. This was the one way that finally worked for me.

I occasionally have a craving, even after all these years. They don't happen often, maybe once a year, last just a couple of seconds, and are easy to ignore.

Do some research on programs in your area through the lung association, heart association, cancer association, or university. Find one that will challenge you and stick with it.

I wish you good luck and all the best.

Valued Contributor
Don't get yourself down ,I am 61 I have been where you are muti times, I have tried everything. Last year my hubby went to FL. For 2 weeks,I can't work spring time, so for 2 weeks I smoked sitting on the deck with my cat. I Also did not change sheets and did not put anything nice on. I SMELLED like a butt, I could smell my breath,it literally smelled of smoke. I had made the decision to stop, but all the things I did reinforce that I would never smoke again! Sorry it was 2 years ago that I had a butt! I now know that when hubby hugs and kisses me I smell good. And Not Like a BUTT! I also cannot tolerate cig smoke anymore! You can have all the support take the patches,meds etc., it has to be you! I hope you can, then buy some new perfume and outfit for yourself first see how pretty and nice smelling you are and have hubby take you out, even if it's no be deal. Do it for yourself!
Esteemed Contributor

Question, perhaps naive, but I mean well. I need to stop eating an overload of sugar and sweets and desserts. I am essentially an addict, I admit it and that addiction has cost me.

I finally had it... plain and simple. I DO NOT BUY ANY, I DO NOT GO NEAR IT, IT IS NOT IN MY HOUSE OR IN MY POSSESSION.

People have to eat, so eating addictions are hard because food is always around. HOWEVER CIGARETTES.... WHY DO PEOPLE GO OUT AND BUY THEM. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO STOP IF YOU HAVE TO get out of bed, get dressed, drive distances to get it?

Just a quick comment, I have not had a dessert or faux dessert in three months... artificial subs as well are off the table. I have lost 25 pounds and the craving is gone, hopefully. But because I will never know, I cannot even test it out.

Respected Contributor

purrmom, so sorry you have health issues! Here is my "recipe" for quitting smoking. It's been almost two years since I stopped.

1. Limit yourself to 10 cigarettes a day

2. Have areas that you deem as non-smoking. I prohibited myself from smoking in the car, in my bedroom, and at the computer. I set rules that I couldn't have a cig before breakfast.

3. When you have areas of non-smoking, it will be soooooo much easier to quit! After you have gotten down to 10 cigarettes, go down to 5. Each step should last about a week.

4. Just stop. Have gum, snacks, even a glass of water to fill in for those cigs.

5. After about a month of no smoking, get yourself a special gift!!

Good luck!!!