Honored Contributor

Re: How can I convince my 81 year old Mother in Law to drink water?!?

She made it this far. As long as she is drinking tea, I wouldn't push the matter.

Honored Contributor

there's flavored water and you can buy packets to add to water.  let her choose a flavor.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop   good job!

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the problem here.  Isn't tea like 99% water?  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Yes, I don't like it either. I buy Mio, a flavoring and I drink now 5 or 6 bottles of bought water a day. I use the orange tangerine and it's delious I use 7 squirts. There are different flavors, but it is something I needed to do, they could hardly get my blood on a stick, because I was so dehydrated. Try it, she'll like it. PS I'll soon be 85.

@barb40 wrote:

She says she doesn't like it...I think her health would improve if she would drink water!  I think she only drinks tea, hot or iced.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I LOVE water.....ice cubes and all.  Have a glass beside me daily....all day long. 

Same here - a glass of water beside me all day.  I really like it.  It's the only thing I drink at home or work.  Socially, I'll have an occasional coffee, iced tea, or glass of wine.

Respected Contributor

P S Mio is a flavoring you can get at Wallmart or your grocery store. You can make quite a few bottles with one little thing.

Honored Contributor

When I took care of my dad with Parkinson's disease, he refused most liquids because of occasional choking issues. He did love his tea and coffee but I worried he was not drinking enough. I called his doctor who told me that anything he drank was fine and could be included in his daily total of liquid consumption.

Your MIL may be drinking as much as needed in other beverages besides water.

Esteemed Contributor

I really, really don't care for water.  Whether out of the tap or bottle, it always dries my mouth out!  And, where I live, there are just too many water warnings per annum regarding bacteria, so must refrain from using city water. It's ridiculous.

Regarding elders, yes their bodies do require hydration, as they can "mentally alter," if hydration is not adequate or experience arrythmias.

Something to watch out for:  We lived 90 miles from my father.  I worked many Saturdays (6 day weeks), so didn't make it up to L.A., as often as I would have liked.  My sister was not in the picture. He was experiencing a gradual weight loss that wasn't stopping.  Each time I visited, I went shopping with a list of all of his favorite drinks and foods.  The next time I returned at least half of the food & drink would still be in the frig and he would appear a bit thinner.  Honestly, it got to the point where I just had to push him on the subject and he finally admitted to having some difficulty swallowing.  The A-Ha moment!  I just knew it: he had had a small stroke and failed to call his doctor, though enough to affect his swallowing.  Took a week off from work, got him to his doc, was admitted to the hospital for various rehabs, including swallowing.  He had no outward signs of stroke, so you just don't know, unless you push it.

I've had 4 people stoke-out in front of me in public, worked a stroke rehab unit and yet my dad's post-stroke behaviors did not betray what was going on in his body.

With regard to our elders who are generally in good health: let them eat and drink what they will.  However, intake of regular coffee and tea with caffeine should be transitioned to decaffeinated types, as caffeine is a DRUG and affects the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, etc.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, she's not your child.  If she doesn't like water, she doesn't like water.  She's 81, if she isn't dehydrated and if she doesn't have any urinary problems then she's getting enough water.  We get water from many sources...like tea.  We get it from soft drinks, fresh fruits and vegetable.  If her physician thinks she would benefit from more water, then do a Google search on how to increase fluids and has her what would work best for her.