Honored Contributor

Re: How can I convince my 81 year old Mother in Law to drink water?!?

@phoenixbrd wrote:

My mother hated drinking water...she never indulged.  She had reoccurring bladder infections and constantly lived on antibiotics to ease the pain.  Nothing I could do you increase her water consumption.

@phoenixbrd   My mother was the same.   On top of the bladder infections,  she was horribly constipated....had skin problems, etc.   I had in-home nursing care for her........and she wouldn't listen to the nurse, either.   It was frustrating, but she "knew better".     She would occasionally drink a Pepsi.........but that was all.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I just turned 81 also and hardly drink water. I take a walk every day and if I get hot I have water with me. These last 10 or so years I have coffee which I hardly had when younger. I have soda once in awhile but not a whole can. I used to like iced tea but hardly have that also.

Esteemed Contributor

@BLB0   I don't like water either especially tap water because of the taste and smell of chemicals added. I have discovered flavored bottled water in individual bottles. They are very lightly flavored &  no calories. 

I drink fewer soft drinks now and my Granddaughter loves them.

When eating out tea is so expensive that I take  my individual packets of green tea or lemonade and ask for water with lemon. 

I have never had a wait person mention this. $2.89 for tea is rediculous! & a bit of mix with water healthier.

Valued Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's dangerous to be dehydrated..but I know many older people are.  Saw it in my family and hospital was the next stage to reverse condition.  Reading these comments I just don't understand......I LOVE water.....ice cubes and all.  Have a glass beside me daily....all day long. 

I do the same.

Honored Contributor

@barb40-

A nurse told my mother that any liquid counts so it doesn't have to be water.

I used to really dislike drinking water until I added lots of ice!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I can't believe how many don't drink water. That's pretty much all I drink. We have a reverse osmosis system.

I have 2 gallon jugs in the refrigerator plus a 2 gallon jug with a spigot on it. I refill it with the other 2 gallon jugs because I won't drink it unless it's cold with ice.

I have a 16 oz SS insulated bottle I use to keep my water cold. I'm on my 5th 16 oz bottle for the day. I always drink 80 oz+ daily.

Respected Contributor

I am not a water drinker at all either. I drink tea all day long. However I do find if I use a straw to drink water then I will do it. I always use a straw for ice tea and so it works for me to use it to get some water in also.

Respected Contributor

Is it possible that your mother suffers from incontinence to some degree? Older women with this problem often "solve" it by refusing to drink water, and cut back on other liquids as well. She might not want to discuss it because of embarrassment. I'd try to alert her doctor about your concerns. Maybe he or she could help.

Honored Contributor

You might want to check out the water flavors that are available these days. You can typically find them in the soda/water aisles of stores. I like the liquid ones personally as you can control how strong the flavor is by how much you add. I typically use the Orange Crush or Cherry Koolaid flavorings, but they have dozens of flavors to choose from including iced tea, lemonaid, and many, many more. You can even tweak the flavors by combining some, or adding sweetener if one's not as sweet as you prefer. The variety is nearly endless. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

Yes, she has a few health issues, No, I am not nagging her.  Just want her to be healthy , feel good, and live a long life.  My husband has recently had issues with kidney stones, and a friend was hospitalized with dehydration, so the topic of drinking water for good health was being discussed.  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814.php

Your mother in law has already lived a long life so whatever she is doing is working for her. Elders need to be treated with dignity and respect for their decisions and not treated like children if they are mentally acute.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown