Valued Contributor

How can I convince my 81 year old Mother in Law to drink water?!?

She says she doesn't like it...I think her health would improve if she would drink water!  I think she only drinks tea, hot or iced.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I convince my 81 year old Mother in Law to drink water?!?

i don't like water, either....my daughter is always trying to convince me of the same thing! at age 68, i can never remember drinking a glass of water.....or even a sip!

Honored Contributor

If she's made it to 81, I doubt you're going to change her mind about it.  Tea is also a liquid so, unless you have good (medical) reasons to show that her lack of drinking plain water is adversely affecting her, I'd leave her be.

It won't help anything, if she feels she's being nagged about it.  She's an adult after all.  What do other family members have to say about it?

Occasional Contributor

when people get older, their electrolytes get thrown off more easily.  I wouldn't mess with trying to change her habits.  My MIL tried drinking water, drank too much and her blood pressure dropped so low that we had to rush her to the hospital.  I know it sounds stupid, but just leave her be.

Esteemed Contributor

calories in everything else make me drink water (+ invisaline)

I only like ice cold, filtered water.  No ice in it, once it's room temp I dump it out.

I used to like unflavored carbonated water, don't like the bloat that it caused. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless you live with her, and even so, You can’t. She will do exactly as she wishes, despite what you want. My Mom is 81too and eats no fruits or veggies, none. I constantly try to influence her, but no change. 

Honored Contributor

Does she object to the taste of her water?  Maybe she'd like one of the bottled brands (though I am loath to suggest it due to the use of plastic).

Valued Contributor

Yes, she has a few health issues, No, I am not nagging her.  Just want her to be healthy , feel good, and live a long life.  My husband has recently had issues with kidney stones, and a friend was hospitalized with dehydration, so the topic of drinking water for good health was being discussed.  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814.php

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@barb40 I think she will need to make the change by choice not pressure from anyone.   Up until 4 years ago I lived on iced tea. Took it with me everywhere I went.  Then the kidney stone appeared and according to the urologist the tea probably caused it. Now I only drink filtered water.  It was hard but didn't want anything to do with that nasty kidney stone.

Honored Contributor

@barb40,

Been thru this with my own mother, and at one time thought some of her mental confusion and severe body cramping was coming from lack of hydration.   

First off I showed Mom how many ounces of water she needed to take in daily.  Seeing the full measurement in the pitcher made her realize she does not take in that much fluid each day.   

I urged Mom to increase her daily fluids, not focusing on just water; she likes koolaid, Gatorade, different juices, plus a lot of coffee, and my goal was to get her drinking more than just coffee.   At 84, Mom’s taste buds have changed, and she really likes pink lemonade, and the red Hawaiian Punch.