Honored Contributor

Re: How can I convince my 81 year old Mother in Law to drink water?!?

They have flavored sparkling waters to drink. It contains no sugar, or artificial sweeteners. I enjoy them, maybe she might?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote: 

@Peaches McPhee  Tea and coffee are dehydrating due to the caffeine, though tea not as much.

@mousiegirl

Unfortunately, many do not realize that these drinks, and especially alcohol, do the opposite of plain ole water(filtered or well). Water hydrates one's body, many liquids dehydrate the body.

Anyone that is a REAL beer drinker, or is around one when they consume large amounts? If you don't go, or see that person go, much more frequently to P?  Why does one suppose is the reason for this seemingly almost constant urge?  Same when one is sick and vomits, fluids are lost, along with minerals that are necessary for the human body to function.

Thank you for letting some know these facts, it is very important.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@conlt

Once again I see chronological age as being a scapegoat for some physical issue. Maybe for yourself and many others, you believe that, I do not, and few aging studies have proven that to be fact.

Waiting for thirst is not a criteria for drinking water. If an endurance athlete, during a competition, waits for "thirst"? It is already too late, that person is getting dehydrated, and cannot catch up. Most that eat anything with high salt content, and does not get "thirsty"? Beats me, I always have and still do, even though I eat nor drink anything with a high sodium or salt content.

Looks like you are taking great care of your mother and looking out for her health welfare. My post is not meant to be negative towards you, or anyone else here. I addressed you because I am replying to your post. It is to point out physical facts about the human body's need in relation to non-hydrating fluids. They are necessary for the human body to function as well as it is able.

Tastes may change, along with other factors(emphasis on the word may), but like many things, each person is their own. Regardless of my chronological age, my reasons for drinking water, have not changed, even though I no longer spend 8+ hours working in 100+++° manufacturing plant. Nor have my taste buds.

Many in this thread have said "they have never" liked drinking water, so back to chronological age again.

How these paragraphs got out sequence, I have no idea, please try to piece them together as was my intention.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I don't understand the problem here.  Isn't tea like 99% water?  

@Peaches McPhee  Tea and coffee are dehydrating due to the caffeine, though tea not as much.

@mousiegirl- The article on hydration that I posted a link to, tackles this question first:

1. True or false: Coffee and tea count toward hydration.

True. Even though caffeine is a diuretic, which forces water to be excreted in urine, our bodies quickly compensate. So even caffeinated beverages such as coffee and tea have a net hydrating effect. Sure, plain water and decaf beverages will hydrate you more, but you can still count that iced coffee as a quencher as much as it is an afternoon pick-me-up.

It also mentions thirst as a reliable indicator that you need to drink water.  Unless you are an athlete, exercising at an extreme level in high heat, you can safely drink, when you're thirsty and maintain an adequate hydration level.  (Most of us no longer fit into the extreme athlete category, I'm going to assume.)

Respected Contributor

When we were children, a drink of water was a treat rather than a necessity.  Even in the cafeteria, you needed permission to use the water fountain.  We played outside all summer without a drink, let alone a bottle, of water. 

To this day I seldom drink water. If I did drink it, I'd spend the better part of my day in the bathroom.

At 81, I doubt your MIL is going to change her habits.

Honored Contributor

If looking for a reason to drink water other than thirst, clear water flushes out the toxins in the body, good for kidneys and liver, so good enough reason to drink it.  I take a large glass of water to bed every night, and drink whenever I wake up.  If one sleeps through the night, this wouldn't work, lol, but I havn't since I gave birth many moons ago

Respected Contributor

My father never drank water that I ever saw and in his younger and middle yrs was a big beer drinker...alcoholic.  Stopped around age 60....then pretty much drank coffee thur out the day only.  No sugar just a touch of cream.  Seemed to be ok for him...but as he got older he began to have UTI's alot...just wouldn't drink water...only a sip to take medication.  My MIL was just like this too...drank coffee same way all day....and only 1 sip water to take pain meds.  

Personally I think it's a habit....when I stopped drinking pop over 10yrs ago....I took up drinking water.  I have a filter on my fridge...tastes great!  I get a large glass with a straw...my favorite way to drink it.  I just refill it all day long...holds 18 oz's at a time.  

My spouse will drink some water but not much...usually if it's really hot out perhaps but if there's diet coke he will drink that instead.  He works out alot and never drinks water during it or much if any after...he's doing great...much better then I am LOL!  

If she is drinking tea w/o sugar then I wouldn't worry to much about it...Andrew Lessman says that's all he drinks is green tea all day long.  He looks to be in good shape.  I have heard some teas can be a problem for some people and kidney stones...not sure if that's true or not.  

Anyway at 81 she's most likely NOT going to be open to "change" my Dad sure wasn't...I'd let it go.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I don't understand the problem here.  Isn't tea like 99% water?  

@mousiegirl- The article on hydration that I posted a link to, tackles this question first:

1. True or false: Coffee and tea count toward hydration.

True. Even though caffeine is a diuretic, which forces water to be excreted in urine, our bodies quickly compensate. So even caffeinated beverages such as coffee and tea have a net hydrating effect. Sure, plain water and decaf beverages will hydrate you more, but you can still count that iced coffee as a quencher as much as it is an afternoon pick-me-up.

It also mentions thirst as a reliable indicator that you need to drink water.  Unless you are an athlete, exercising at an extreme level in high heat, you can safely drink, when you're thirsty and maintain an adequate hydration level.  (Most of us no longer fit into the extreme athlete category, I'm going to assume.)

@Venezia, yes that is certainly how we view it in nursing.  Fluid is fluid.  whether it is water, tea, coffee, milk, lemonade, etc.  In nursing, we even count jello as fluid intake for patients that have intake and output recorded daily.

In fact, when I worked critical care, for some patients that were on a certain type of fluid restriction, we had to even estimate the fluid content in pudding, some fruits that have high water content, or any food item that at room temperature would become liquid (such as ice cream).  Ultimately the body uses the fluid that you ingest.  Ironically, I still remember on those restrictions that one cup of grapes had to be recorded as 120 mL of fluid intake.  lol

So even though someone 81 years of age is not drinking just plain water, I would look at all the fluid intake throughout the day.  As people age there are many factors that come into play where our seniors don't like to drink or eat a lot.  Sometimes it is a change in taste, sometimes chilled fluids start to cause sensitivities with teeth and gums, etc.  As long as she has an adequate fluid intake with a variety of beverages and food items, & she isn't experiencing any specific medical problems, I wouldn't worry. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz

My sister almost died 3 years ago from extrememly low sodium count.  She too always had a glass of water at her side.   Drank a ton everyday.  The Drs. in the ER told her and my nieces that you CAN indeed drink too much water and it can be life threatening.   Too much water flushes things we need out of our bodies like sodium.   They suggested she substitute drinks like Gatorade etc. for some of the plain water. 

A friend of mine had a similar situation 2 years ago.   She almost died also due to low sodium and low potassium. 

I suggest you read about the symptoms of low sodium and potassium and if you ever experience any of them , get to the ER.   All of that water can be dangerous.  

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Nightowlz

My sister almost died 3 years ago from extrememly low sodium count.  She too always had a glass of water at her side.   Drank a ton everyday.  The Drs. in the ER told her and my nieces that you CAN indeed drink too much water and it can be life threatening.   Too much water flushes things we need out of our bodies like sodium.   They suggested she substitute drinks like Gatorade etc. for some of the plain water. 

A friend of mine had a similar situation 2 years ago.   She almost died also due to low sodium and low potassium. 

I suggest you read about the symptoms of low sodium and potassium and if you ever experience any of them , get to the ER.   All of that water can be dangerous.  

@Bridgegal

Just looked up low sodium symptoms & I already have some of those. I will ask my new doctor next year during my appt.

It lists nausea, vomiting, cramps, spasms, irritability plus other symptoms but I already have the ones I listed.

I can't drink water without eating first. It does make me nauseous. I don't use iodized salt. I only use pink himalayan salt.

I also use a reverse osmosis system which removes all those minerals but they are in the salt I use.