Valued Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Sleep & Is It Good For You?

I would say that, generally speaking, I get about 6.5-7 hours / night.
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 glmama said: I would say that, generally speaking, I get about 6.5-7 hours / night.

Same here.

Super Contributor

I have chronically had sleep issues--can't fall asleep and/or stay asleep. Sadly, after trying a myriad of things, I need prescription meds to help. No meds = literally no sleep. Even with meds, I will be lucky to get a total of 5 or 6 "good" hours and the term "good" is

debatable. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Trusted Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 2/26/2015 Gloria said:
On 2/26/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 2/26/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: I think everyone needs a different amount to feel their best. My optimal amount is and always has been nine hours. For example, if I need to get up at 6am, I need to go to bed by 9pm. I usually don't have trouble falling asleep. I usually fall asleep within a couple minutes. But I do sometimes have trouble waking up during the night, usually when I have something stressful going on the next day. Also, I tend to get distracted in the evening, and I don't always get to bed early enough. I've been working on no computer/tablet after 8pm and tv off at nine. Smiley Happy Not always successful, though. Smiley Happy

My daughter goes to bed early on weeknights. She reads for an hour and then it's lights off. She'd talked about sleep issues with her MD who told her no computer or iPhone or iPad before bed because the light does something to the brain, keeping it awake.

About stress, I totally agree with you, it happens with me, too.

This is so true (bold above)! There was a very good article I read recently on this exact thing!

Yes, that's my problem, because like reading on my Kindle Fire before going to sleep. So I'm trying t change my habit! Smiley Happy I also find cup of chamomile, or lavender or Tulsi rose tea helps me to sleep.

I do the same! I read, play a few games and then doze off watching something on Netflix (been watching some old sitcoms like The Van Dyke Show (haha--won't let me write D***), Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, and a bit more recent--Wings). I read that article just a couple weeks ago and I think I have to change my ways. Anyway, our internet/WIFI was out one night last week and I couldn't do any of this (well , I could have read). Guess who slept almost the whole night through without waking up! I think there is something to this. The article said the blue light from the devices messes with the melatonin that is produced in the brain, so it hampers sleep.

Gloria

Respected Contributor

Most nights I sleep for about seven hours but get up a couple of times in the night. There are nights I cannot sleep and toss and turn. I haven't slept through the night in some time but since I don't have a job to get to, it isn't the problem it would be if I was working outside of the home.

I don't stress over lack of sleep. If I get tired enough and do a lot of exercise, I will always sleep.....just not uninterrupted sleep.

Great topic, Noel. Hope you are doing well....Smile

Honored Contributor

I sleep eight to nine hours, usually have to get up once to use the bathroom, but usually don't have a problem getting back to sleep. Every once in a while when something is really bothering me, I have a problem with sleeping. Fortunately, I don't have to get up and go to work anymore.

My problem is lack of energy whether I get ample sleep or not.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Sleep is an individual thing; some people need a solid 8 hours to function well, some people need less or more. I'm at my best, when I get a solid 7-8 hours of sleep. I get up at 5am and I don't get home until 7pm, I have very long, stressful days. When I finally accepted that I had to go to bed at 9 or 10; when I accepted that there was no reason for me to watch tv shows or stay up for them news; the quality of my sleep improved. The best advice I ever got about sleep is to remove the tv from my bedroom. Of course, there are nights when I sleep fitfully or I just can't sleep and I've learned not to stress myself over it. I think a sleepless night every now and then is completely normal. If I can't sleep or get back to sleep, I get up, wrap myself in comfy throw and watch QVC the family room. I usually get drowsy after an hour or so.

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 Gloria said:
On 2/26/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 2/26/2015 Gloria said:
On 2/26/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 2/26/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: I think everyone needs a different amount to feel their best. My optimal amount is and always has been nine hours. For example, if I need to get up at 6am, I need to go to bed by 9pm. I usually don't have trouble falling asleep. I usually fall asleep within a couple minutes. But I do sometimes have trouble waking up during the night, usually when I have something stressful going on the next day. Also, I tend to get distracted in the evening, and I don't always get to bed early enough. I've been working on no computer/tablet after 8pm and tv off at nine. Smiley Happy Not always successful, though. Smiley Happy

My daughter goes to bed early on weeknights. She reads for an hour and then it's lights off. She'd talked about sleep issues with her MD who told her no computer or iPhone or iPad before bed because the light does something to the brain, keeping it awake.

About stress, I totally agree with you, it happens with me, too.

This is so true (bold above)! There was a very good article I read recently on this exact thing!

Yes, that's my problem, because like reading on my Kindle Fire before going to sleep. So I'm trying t change my habit! Smiley Happy I also find cup of chamomile, or lavender or Tulsi rose tea helps me to sleep.

I do the same! I read, play a few games and then doze off watching something on Netflix (been watching some old sitcoms like The Van Dyke Show (haha--won't let me write D***), Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, and a bit more recent--Wings). I read that article just a couple weeks ago and I think I have to change my ways. Anyway, our internet/WIFI was out one night last week and I couldn't do any of this (well , I could have read). Guess who slept almost the whole night through without waking up! I think there is something to this. The article said the blue light from the devices messes with the melatonin that is produced in the brain, so it hampers sleep.

Gloria

Yes, and that's so good to know! I usually go to bed around 11- 1:30, and sometimes I think I'll go online for just a bit to look through email. Now I know not to do that Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

Most nights I sleep for about seven hours but get up a couple of times in the night. There are nights I cannot sleep and toss and turn. I haven't slept through the night in some time but since I don't have a job to get to, it isn't the problem it would be if I was working outside of the home.

I don't stress over lack of sleep. If I get tired enough and do a lot of exercise, I will always sleep.....just not uninterrupted sleep.

Great topic, Noel. Hope you are doing well....Smile

Hi SR Smile

I'm doing well, I hope all is well with you, also.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

I do good to get 5 or 6 hours a night, and that's with sleep medication. I, like betteb, have RA, and I believe it contributes to my poor sleep pattern. Without the meds I do not get more than an hour or so per night. My rheumatologist said that it's more important for me to get the sleep and not worry about taking the sleeping pills. However, I never feel completely rested in the morning. sigh...

BTW, my mother also had RA and passed away from it's ravages. There is definitely a genetic predisposition to this disease. I was diagnosed 14 years ago and until recently I was on Biologics. They were very helpful but caused me some irreversible health issues and I can't chance getting the infusions at this point. Time will only tell how my body reacts to going without. I can only pray.

Member Since 11/20/2008