Honored Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Sleep & Is It Good For You?

I need 8 hours, but I get somewhere between 5 - 7 hours.
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 betteb said:
On 2/26/2015 NoelSeven said:

Hi NoelSmile I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Like you, I either can't get to sleep at all, or I get to sleep, but wake up every hour and a half or two hours all through the night.

Seems like I sleep with one eye open. It's been that way ever since I was the victim of a home invasion, almost 30 years ago. While I eventually got over the fear, for the most part, it was like it just became my regular sleep pattern and I've never been able to change it.

It's now complicated as I age by Rheumatoid Arthritis and my most recent diagnosis of COPD.

In the words of the fabulous Bette Davis "Getting old is not for sissies"

Hi Bette! I totally understand about the residual effects of a home invasion. A terrible thing for you to have gone through. and I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I didn't know you also had serious health issues, RA alone would most likely cause sleep disturbances, I know lupus does. Not sleeping is par for the course for us. I learned a long time ago not to make morning appointments.

I hope today is a good day for you Smile.

Thanks Noel. It was a long time ago, but it was definitely a life changing event.

I did know you had Lupus, so I know you understand. I haven't talked much about the RA on here. I just got the official diagnosis last July, but I'm sure you know, lots of people have RA for quite some time before they get diagnosed.

The COPD, I just found out about last week. I knew something was wrong, but we had been expecting to find my lungs affected by the RA (nodules, etc).

My Dr says I should apply for SSD{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Bette, there are some similarities with lupus and RA, and that may be genetically, also. One of my MDs participates in the genetic link study of lupus. It seems there may be a genetic link to a lot of auto-immune disorders, but they can play out differently. My father and his mother both had RA, it came out as lupus with me.

It might be a good idea for you to apply for SSD, and get a disabled parking right, also.

I hope your MD team can help you, Bette {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I hope you are getting the treatment you need as well{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Yes, Lupus and RA do have some very similar characteristics and I do believe there are genetic links. My aunt on my mother's side had RA. There wasn't much in the way of treatment when she was diagnosed. Mostly just steroids and their side effects or Interferon infusions. Now we have the DMARD's and Biologics. For me, the Biologics are just scary (genetic history of Glioblastoma) and insanely expensive.

I'm started on a new type of inhaler and nebulizer treatments for the COPD.

You know how it is, some days are better than othersSmile

I know Smile I wish you the best, Bette.

There is one medication to help lupus. Plaquenil. I developed a sensitivity to it after about a year or so and can't take it at all anymore.

What they usually do for lupus is to treat the ills it causes, if possible. Painkillers, asthma meds, etc.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Preds said:
On 2/26/2015 brewhaha said:

I wish Buster would give me eight too.

No ... he's not that kinda' boy!

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 graycatsrule said: I need 8 hours, but I get somewhere between 5 - 7 hours.

I hope you're doing OK with that Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Hi NoelSmile I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Like you, I either can't get to sleep at all, or I get to sleep, but wake up every hour and a half or two hours all through the night.

Seems like I sleep with one eye open. It's been that way ever since I was the victim of a home invasion, almost 30 years ago. While I eventually got over the fear, for the most part, it was like it just became my regular sleep pattern and I've never been able to change it.

It's now complicated as I age by Rheumatoid Arthritis and my most recent diagnosis of COPD.

Hi Bette! I totally understand about the residual effects of a home invasion. A terrible thing for you to have gone through. and I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I didn't know you also had serious health issues, RA alone would most likely cause sleep disturbances, I know lupus does. Not sleeping is par for the course for us. I learned a long time ago not to make morning appointments.

Thanks Noel. It was a long time ago, but it was definitely a life changing event.

I did know you had Lupus, so I know you understand. I haven't talked much about the RA on here. I just got the official diagnosis last July, but I'm sure you know, lots of people have RA for quite some time before they get diagnosed.

The COPD, I just found out about last week. I knew something was wrong, but we had been expecting to find my lungs affected by the RA (nodules, etc).

Bette, there are some similarities with lupus and RA, and that may be genetically, also. One of my MDs participates in the genetic link study of lupus. It seems there may be a genetic link to a lot of auto-immune disorders, but they can play out differently. My father and his mother both had RA, it came out as lupus with me.

It might be a good idea for you to apply for SSD, and get a disabled parking right, also.

Yes, Lupus and RA do have some very similar characteristics and I do believe there are genetic links. My aunt on my mother's side had RA. There wasn't much in the way of treatment when she was diagnosed. Mostly just steroids and their side effects or Interferon infusions. Now we have the DMARD's and Biologics. For me, the Biologics are just scary (genetic history of Glioblastoma) and insanely expensive.

There is one medication to help lupus. Plaquenil. I developed a sensitivity to it after about a year or so and can't take it at all anymore.

What they usually do for lupus is to treat the ills it causes, if possible. Painkillers, asthma meds, etc.

Oh that's too bad about the Plaquenil. Do they not use any of the other DMARD's? I'm on the max dose of Methotrexate injectable right now...no signs of remission after 8 months. My SED Rate has gone up.

The inhaler I got is new. Anoro Ellipta. It's an anticholinergic, and a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing. My Dr gave me a card to get it free for a year from the manufacturer. It costs $300 a month{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Guess I kinda took your thread off track. Sorry{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I must be weird. I sleep between 7 to 9 hours each night. Every now and then I will go through a period when I can't get to sleep or stay asleep and end up only getting 4 to 6 hours, but that is rare.

Honored Contributor

Oh that's too bad about the Plaquenil. Do they not use any of the other DMARD's? I'm on the max dose of Methotrexate injectable right now...no signs of remission after 8 months. MY SED Rate has gone up.

The inhaler I got is new. Anoro Ellipta. It's an anticholinergic, and a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing. My Dr gave me a card to get it free for a year from the manufacturer. It costs $300 a month{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Guess I kinda took your thread off track. Sorry{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Don't worry about where the thread goes, Bette Smile

I've had a couple of rheumatologists by now and they caution me about Methotrexate. Since I have so many drug sensitivities, I'm, kind of used to going it alone. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Noel, I've seen a Rhuematologist but I don't like her. My Primary has agreed to take care of me until I can get in with another one that has an excellent reputation. He can't get me in til May.

Drugs sensitivities are a pain. My medicine thorn seems to be antibiotics. Hope I don't ever get a super bug{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Until my husband and I semi-retired in November of 2013, it was six hours consistently. Now we get eight to nine on a consistent basis and it is glorious!

What a difference it has made in our lives....more sleep and less stress....a winning combination! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wish I could sleep at least 6 hours without waking up, but I'd have to be drugged. I'm retired so I can sleep any time I'm tired. I think it's worse when you listen to those reports and stress over not sleeping.