Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Sleep & Is It Good For You?

I don't know about reports. I just try to get to bed around the same time each night and get up the same time each morning, even on the weekends.

If perchance I get to bed later, then I still make it a point to rise as usual.

Most nights I've been getting 7 - 8 hours. I don't think I could sleep more than 8. If I get less than 7 or 8, I cannot think fast or straight, and in my line of work, I need all my wits about me.

Honored Contributor

I wish Buster would give me eight too.

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Kathleen said:

I generally don't pay much attention to "health studies" in the media.

One size does not fit all when it comes to health.

I would hope we all know one size does not fit all regarding health. That's usually a given. Health studies are routinely reported by the media, that does not mean they're not valid.

IMO, what is usually important to consider is when a correlation is found. Correlation does not prove cause and effect, but it can cause us to stop and wonder if perhaps we could learn from it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 betteb said:
On 2/26/2015 NoelSeven said:

Hi NoelSmile I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Like you, I either can't get to sleep at all, or I get to sleep, but wake up every hour and a half or two hours all through the night.

Seems like I sleep with one eye open. It's been that way ever since I was the victim of a home invasion, almost 30 years ago. While I eventually got over the fear, for the most part, it was like it just became my regular sleep pattern and I've never been able to change it.

It's now complicated as I age by Rheumatoid Arthritis and my most recent diagnosis of COPD.

In the words of the fabulous Bette Davis "Getting old is not for sissies"

Hi Bette! I totally understand about the residual effects of a home invasion. A terrible thing for you to have gone through. and I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I didn't know you also had serious health issues, RA alone would most likely cause sleep disturbances, I know lupus does. Not sleeping is par for the course for us. I learned a long time ago not to make morning appointments.

I hope today is a good day for you Smile.

Thanks Noel. It was a long time ago, but it was definitely a life changing event.

I did know you had Lupus, so I know you understand. I haven't talked much about the RA on here. I just got the official diagnosis last July, but I'm sure you know, lots of people have RA for quite some time before they get diagnosed.

The COPD, I just found out about last week. I knew something was wrong, but we had been expecting to find my lungs affected by the RA (nodules, etc).

My Dr says I should apply for SSD{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Bette, there are some similarities with lupus and RA, and that may be genetically, also. One of my MDs participates in the genetic link study of lupus. It seems there may be a genetic link to a lot of auto-immune disorders, but they can play out differently. My father and his mother both had RA, it came out as lupus with me.

It might be a good idea for you to apply for SSD, and get a disabled parking right, also.

I hope your MD team can help you, Bette {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 RedTop said: I get anywhere from 7-9 hours of restful sleep every night. @ 59, I am blessed to have no sleep issues; I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep until I hear the first person up and moving inside the house. I do not take anything to make, or help me sleep. However, my bedroom is set up strictly for sleeping; blackout curtains, no clocks, no radio, no TV, no lamps, just cool and dark and perfect for sleeping. My body knows that when I get in bed, it is time to sleep, and it does.

You are very lucky! Smile

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Gloria said:
On 2/26/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: I think everyone needs a different amount to feel their best. My optimal amount is and always has been nine hours. For example, if I need to get up at 6am, I need to go to bed by 9pm. I usually don't have trouble falling asleep. I usually fall asleep within a couple minutes. But I do sometimes have trouble waking up during the night, usually when I have something stressful going on the next day. Also, I tend to get distracted in the evening, and I don't always get to bed early enough. I've been working on no computer/tablet after 8pm and tv off at nine. Smiley Happy Not always successful, though. Smiley Happy

My daughter goes to bed early on weeknights. She reads for an hour and then it's lights off. She'd talked about sleep issues with her MD who told her no computer or iPhone or iPad before bed because the light does something to the brain, keeping it awake.

About stress, I totally agree with you, it happens with me, too.

This is so true (bold above)! There was a very good article I read recently on this exact thing!

It's working for her, too! It used to take her a long time to get to sleep, and when she woke up in the middle of the night, she'd check her iPhone. No more, and she's so much better off!

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Harpa said:

I don't know about reports. I just try to get to bed around the same time each night and get up the same time each morning, even on the weekends.

If perchance I get to bed later, then I still make it a point to rise as usual.

Most nights I've been getting 7 - 8 hours. I don't think I could sleep more than 8. If I get less than 7 or 8, I cannot think fast or straight, and in my line of work, I need all my wits about me.

You're lucky, too Smile

Another thing I deal with is getting up 3 or 4 times a night to pee. It's a lupus thing, and I make sure not to have tea or other liquids after 6 o'clock dinner.

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 brewhaha said:

Esteemed Contributor

Hi NoelSmile I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Like you, I either can't get to sleep at all, or I get to sleep, but wake up every hour and a half or two hours all through the night.

Seems like I sleep with one eye open. It's been that way ever since I was the victim of a home invasion, almost 30 years ago. While I eventually got over the fear, for the most part, it was like it just became my regular sleep pattern and I've never been able to change it.

It's now complicated as I age by Rheumatoid Arthritis and my most recent diagnosis of COPD.

In the words of the fabulous Bette Davis "Getting old is not for sissies"

Hi Bette! I totally understand about the residual effects of a home invasion. A terrible thing for you to have gone through. and I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I didn't know you also had serious health issues, RA alone would most likely cause sleep disturbances, I know lupus does. Not sleeping is par for the course for us. I learned a long time ago not to make morning appointments.

I hope today is a good day for you Smile.

Thanks Noel. It was a long time ago, but it was definitely a life changing event.

I did know you had Lupus, so I know you understand. I haven't talked much about the RA on here. I just got the official diagnosis last July, but I'm sure you know, lots of people have RA for quite some time before they get diagnosed.

The COPD, I just found out about last week. I knew something was wrong, but we had been expecting to find my lungs affected by the RA (nodules, etc).

My Dr says I should apply for SSD{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Bette, there are some similarities with lupus and RA, and that may be genetically, also. One of my MDs participates in the genetic link study of lupus. It seems there may be a genetic link to a lot of auto-immune disorders, but they can play out differently. My father and his mother both had RA, it came out as lupus with me.

It might be a good idea for you to apply for SSD, and get a disabled parking right, also.

I hope your MD team can help you, Bette {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I hope you are getting the treatment you need as well{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Yes, Lupus and RA do have some very similar characteristics and I do believe there are genetic links. My aunt on my mother's side had RA. There wasn't much in the way of treatment when she was diagnosed. Mostly just steroids and their side effects or Interferon infusions. Now we have the DMARD's and Biologics. For me, the Biologics are just scary (genetic history of Glioblastoma) and insanely expensive.

I'm started on a new type of inhaler and nebulizer treatments for the COPD.

You know how it is, some days are better than othersSmile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 brewhaha said:

No ... he's not that kinda' boy!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."