Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Chaos at Chain Pharmacies Is Putting Patients at Risk

I don't care for CVS.  I found the prices to be better at a local grocery pharmacy.  

Honored Contributor

I just skimmed through the article.  Many of us don't have the option of going to any pharmacy we choose.  My employer gives us Rx drug coverage and that's great but we only have to options.  CVS or some online pharmacy that mails our prescriptions to us.  I use CVS an I have indeed have mistakes with my medications and there was a problem with a dangerous interaction between to medications that the pharmacist admitted he should have seen.  One was a new Rx that I Googled and just happened to see that it shouldn't be taken with something else I was taking.  I called the pharmacist to confirm and was embarrassed, admitted it shouldn't have happened.  But he couldn't take the medication back because I had left the store with it.  He did call my insurer to explain what happened so that he could give me the correct Rx at no additional copay. Two other times CVS gave me the wrong dosage.  I caught it both times because I am in the habit of looking at the bottles before I leave the pharmacy area.  It's not a new problem, chain pharmacies use pharmacy techs to do the work.  It's also not a new problem.  20 years ago CVS was making mistakes with my mother's heart medicine.  I learned from her experieces to check the bottles before I leave the store.  Yes, I think it's very likely that in some cases patients are being given the wrong medication in the right bottle so they don't even know a mistake has occurred.  

Honored Contributor

FYI, for controlled drugs, Walgreens keep those prescriptions on file in the pharmacy as required by the DEA.  If you are ever shorted or think there is an issue, there is a paper trail for the scheduled drugs that the pharmacist can pull and see who was involved with it if you ever have a serious enough issue.  

Honored Contributor

We had CVS about 8 - 9 years ago.  No big story to tell, leave it to say we were NOT impressed and moved our scripts to another pharmacy.  We always check our meds before we leave and so far so good.....

Thank you for posting the article, it was worth reading! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

A couple years ago my mother was taking a blood pressure med. So over a month she lost  weight and felt weak at times.  I came down to stay with her and realized she had been taking almost double strength of the BP med. Before i arrived she had called to refill and there was some kerfuffle when she went to refill the med. Turned out the pharmacy had dispensed the incorrect dose and almost doubled the strength of her meds!

i called the pharmacy and spoke with a pharmacist and in addition, called the chain's Customer Service line and the agent opened a case.  a few days later we get a call saying it was going to Subrogation.    After a week or so, my mother was offered a settlement.  At that point we had researched any possible health impact the dosage change may have caused. Her doctor felt confident that she had suffered no ill after effects. My mother could have hired a lawyer and further pursued action but declined and this was at least 4 yrs ago and her blood pressure and health is stable.