Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Are You're Hands Holding Up

@rms1954 no need to use hand sanitizer.  Wash your hand with soap for 20 seconds.  I always moisturise after I wash.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

With all this hand sanitizer use, mine are so dry.  Just when I thought they were recovered from the winter, now the skin (esp around the cuticules) are so dry the skin on my fingertips is peeling off.,

Why would you be using it constantly if you are not leaving your home? 

Did I say I don't leave home?  No.  I have to go out to the store.

@rms1954 You don't have to sanitize your hands at the store unless you have a need to touch your face.  You should wash your hands as soon as you get home.  You can also wear gloves outside, which I do at the store.  Bought a big box of vinyl gloves.  Use while at the store, throw them out when I get home, wash my hands as always when I come home.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 

My husband has THE worst hands, made simply awful by all the outside work he likes to do in the winter without gloves!  And, he has had several serious bouts of psoriasis, requiring laser treatment.  So, after each trip to the market, etc., he pours 80% alcohol on these poor hands of his - Yikes!  So, you can imagine the fact that the other day he said, "My hands have turned into hamburger, again."  See, he always waits until things get really bad until he acts.  That's why he'd just better not get this flu, because he'll not say anything about symptoms building up, etc., until he needs to go to the doc/hospital. We're practicing social distancing here at home, so I try to stay as far away from him as I can for those reasons stated.

Anyway, I digress.  He had run out of his fav hand cream, so had to make a run to the store, yet again....Have I not told him to stop going to the store every day.....Anyway, please know that the following has proven to be my husband's saving grace, as far as his hands are concerned.  It's also sold in "Farm & Feed" stores, due to the immense amount of exposure to hands our farmers, growers and horsepersons have to deal with:

O'KEEFE'S "WORKING HANDS"

It's a rather flat, green tin. Rates many, many stars.  My husband says he'll use nothing else.

Good luck to you.  Be well. God Bless.

Respected Contributor

@JessMe

UNTRUE. "Any soap" will not kill the virus.

Any thorough soap and water lather will REMOVE pathogens, which obviates their need to be killed.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

I use soap and water at home; only use hand sanitizer when I go out someplace.  And since I'm not going out much, I haven't used much sanitizer.

It took me a while to figure this out.  I was washing my hands and applying hand sanitizer several times a day when I was not going anyplace lol.  Plus my liquid soap is anti bacterial.  My fingers were swelling.  Now I use the soap and only use hand sanitizer when I am leaving the house and returning.  Only going to store when absolutely necessary.

I am using Eucerin original healing cream.  Its kind of a thick cream (i get the thickest) but it feels good on my hands.Smiley Happy