Respected Contributor

Re: How 10 famous fitness and nutrition gurus died

@QueenDanceALot 

Obviously, almost every one of those names contributed something to the knowledge and  mindset of their followers at a given point in time, even if their contribution was small and later discredited.

Anyone who isn't interested in them  (and  some of the perfectly valid wisdom they left behind) need not read about them.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

Obviously, almost every one of those names contributed something to the knowledge and  mindset of their followers at a given point in time, even if their contribution was small and later discredited.

Anyone who isn't interested in them  (and  some of the perfectly valid wisdom they left behind) need not read about them.

@novamc1 

But the question was, "Was it worth it?"

The list is too diverse and not all come under a "fad" umbrella.  Some contributions are ones that will live on with good reason.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately genes do play a role in whether certain diseases are attracted to you. My doctor believes people don't want to believe that because they are afraid.I think if you like to exercise no matter what it is it can only be good for you if you don't over do it. I have never followed any celeb or guru even in my yoga practice, I don't care what they say or do, I do what's good for me.

Respected Contributor

I remember  watching the Richard ( probably cannot post his real first name Smiley Happy ) Cavet show when Mr. Rodale died.  Cavett made reference to it when interviewed all the time. I still read and enjoy Prevention  mag sometimes .

I think genes play a big role in longevity , but it can't hurt to try to improve one's health.  I have known people that say heart disease runs in my family. When looking into it so do really bad universally known bad lifestyles such as smoking or morbid obesity. 

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@novamc1 

@novamc1 wrote:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/deaths-of-fitness-diet-gurus

Was it worth it?

As consumers of pop culture, it’s easy to follow celebrity fad diets and trends as opposed to dedicating ourselves to a regimented, personalized diet plan.

Fad diets have that name for a reason: They’re here, they fail, and they’re gone. Unlike transient dieting trends, there are a few time-tested dieting strategies that function more as a lifestyle than a fleeting mode of eating or exercising.

Certain people throughout history have made it their life’s work to conquer the body and mind through exercise and physical fitness. They advocate for their method of eating or exercising over the course of many years. From completely abstaining from carbohydrates to running 80 miles each week while consuming sugar-laden junk foods, the diet and fitness experts featured in the following slideshow achieved guru status in a variety of ways.

The question that begs an answer is: Was it worth it? Can foraging for your food or rejecting processed foods help you live a longer, healthier life?

These gurus all believed that their method of healthy living was best. In terms of contributing to longevity, however, you’ll see that some of the following lifestyles appear to have worked better than others.

Adelle Davis
Euell Gibbons
Gypsy Boots
Jack LaLanne
Jerome Irving Rodale
Jim Fixx
Joseph Pilates
Michel Montignac
Nathan Pritikin
Robert Atkins

<<check the healthline  website for the whole story>>

Jack LaLanne died in his 90,s from old age.  I,m 84 and did lots of his workouts.

I have also followed jack LaLanne..my mom used to say I was as nutty as him.I think he got it right.

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA --Brilliant! I am a person who listens to my whole body when I meditate. I never have been able to just listen to my breath to go into the zone. I let all my body parts and system parts tell me what I need, post stretching and relaxation.

The results are phenomenal, as I am 70, attract 50 yr. old men, and keep them as friends, as I prefer a man closer to my own age.

Respected Contributor

I remember all about Rodale's appearance on Cavett's show. He'd been bragging that he was going to live to be 100 just before he keeled over. Cavett, in his usual, deadpan voice, asked if they were boring him. Yikes.

It is interesting, though. Those like LaLanne (I remember Elaine LaLanne and their dog, Happy, too) benefited from their healthy lifestyles. Some who died relatively young were genetically predisposed to heart disease or had a history of unhealthy habits. Jim Fixx, for example, had been a heavy smoker and overweight before adopting a healthy lifestyle--plus he had a family history of heart disease.

Atkins is interesting, too, because people were quick at the time to attribute his death to, perhaps, a heart attack due to his high-fat diet. As it turned out, he'd fallen and sustained a head injury. What caused the fall, no one knew, but he'd had numerous health problems, himself.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

****** Cavett said that because he didn't understand what had happened. He probably thought the guy was clowning around

He would have never made a remark like that if he knew they man had died

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 

I am familiar with several names, some of which I believe true health and fitness advocates, some even pioneers to a certain degree.

Jim Fixx was not a health advocate, and that essentially was a factor in his early death. Had he listened to his good friend, Dr. Kenneth Cooper, he would probably have lived many more years. Mr. Fixx believed that because he could run full 26.2 mile Marathons he was healthy in every respect. He was not, and that was pretty much responsible for his death.

Everyone with decades of living heard of Jack LaLanne, some probably watched his TV shows. He believed fully in his way of living life to it's fullest through exercise and choices of foods, and he lived a long and mostly healthy life.

Nathan Pritikin through his research and studies, that were primarily done because of having a heart attack at a young age, how to reduce those risks. I still follow much of what he wrote about in 1 of his 1970's books. A more familiar name, Dr.Dean Ornish, came along and copied Mr. Mr. Pritikin's work, and pretty laid claim to that Pritikin Program.

Joseph Pilates was more into fitness along with preventative and recovery methods from physical injuries. Needless to say, most that have been around QVC are familiar with Pilates Machines, and Pilates in general. I also incorporate much of what he espoused in my own programs.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
I remember all about Rodale's appearance on Cavett's show. He'd been bragging that he was going to live to be 100 just before he keeled over. Cavett, in his usual, deadpan voice, asked if they were boring him. Yikes.

It is interesting, though. Those like LaLanne (I remember Elaine LaLanne and their dog, Happy, too) benefited from their healthy lifestyles. Some who died relatively young were genetically predisposed to heart disease or had a history of unhealthy habits. Jim Fixx, for example, had been a heavy smoker and overweight before adopting a healthy lifestyle--plus he had a family history of heart disease.

Atkins is interesting, too, because people were quick at the time to attribute his death to, perhaps, a heart attack due to his high-fat diet. As it turned out, he'd fallen and sustained a head injury. What caused the fall, no one knew, but he'd had numerous health problems, himself.

Are you saying this Rodale person dropped dead right there on the Cavett show??

I don't remember either one of these people but your post got me wondering!