Respected Contributor

How 10 famous fitness and nutrition gurus died

[ Edited ]

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/deaths-of-fitness-diet-gurus

Was it worth it?

As consumers of pop culture, it’s easy to follow celebrity fad diets and trends as opposed to dedicating ourselves to a regimented, personalized diet plan.

Fad diets have that name for a reason: They’re here, they fail, and they’re gone. Unlike transient dieting trends, there are a few time-tested dieting strategies that function more as a lifestyle than a fleeting mode of eating or exercising.

Certain people throughout history have made it their life’s work to conquer the body and mind through exercise and physical fitness. They advocate for their method of eating or exercising over the course of many years. From completely abstaining from carbohydrates to running 80 miles each week while consuming sugar-laden junk foods, the diet and fitness experts featured in the following slideshow achieved guru status in a variety of ways.

The question that begs an answer is: Was it worth it? Can foraging for your food or rejecting processed foods help you live a longer, healthier life?

These gurus all believed that their method of healthy living was best. In terms of contributing to longevity, however, you’ll see that some of the following lifestyles appear to have worked better than others.

Adelle Davis
Euell Gibbons
Gypsy Boots
Jack LaLanne
Jerome Irving Rodale
Jim Fixx
Joseph Pilates
Michel Montignac
Nathan Pritikin
Robert Atkins

<<check the healthline  website for the whole story>>

Honored Contributor

Re: How these well-known fitness and nutrition gurus died

[ Edited ]

Jack LaLanne is the only person I would trust from that lineup..Genes play a dominate role in health as far as I am concerned

People can eat anyway they please. I need to eat the way that works for me..I will soon be 73 and apart from thyroid /genetic issues which has caused me to be come diabetic I have no major health problems, not does my 75 year old husband. This can all change on a dime ,and if it does we will deal with it. My A1c is always in a safe area. When I switched to Januvia ,I went from normal blood sugar readings  to prediabetic, because Januvia doesn't work as well for me as metformin did..Metfomin also made my life miserable because it gave me stomach issues

We won't live forever,and neither of us want to, but we take care of our heath, with a balanced diet( mine is low carb, Mr Cherry basically eats what he pleases). We walk and lift weights 5 days a week...Do what works for you, and let others do the same

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How 10 famous fitness and nutrition gurus died

As the Good Book says, "time and chance happens to them all." (I think Jack LL also juiced.)

But I do not think we are relegated to our genes. I do not follow fads, just, hopefully, good common sense. I believe in making healthy choices most of the time...inasmuch as we have choice.

Thanks for the article, @novamc1 ! That was interesting!

Honored Contributor

I’m my own guru. Eat a balanced diet and exercise moderately.

Genetics (and lifestyle) play a part in health/longevity.
Honored Contributor

I hear Adelle Davis and I think wheat germ.

Avoiding manufactured, processed food items seems like a good goal.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting article. I remember watching Jack LaLanne’s exercise shows way back in the day.   I do think genetics plays a huge role in how long we live but it doesn’t hurt to incorporate healthy eating and exercise. 

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 

@novamc1 wrote:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/deaths-of-fitness-diet-gurus

Was it worth it?

As consumers of pop culture, it’s easy to follow celebrity fad diets and trends as opposed to dedicating ourselves to a regimented, personalized diet plan.

Fad diets have that name for a reason: They’re here, they fail, and they’re gone. Unlike transient dieting trends, there are a few time-tested dieting strategies that function more as a lifestyle than a fleeting mode of eating or exercising.

Certain people throughout history have made it their life’s work to conquer the body and mind through exercise and physical fitness. They advocate for their method of eating or exercising over the course of many years. From completely abstaining from carbohydrates to running 80 miles each week while consuming sugar-laden junk foods, the diet and fitness experts featured in the following slideshow achieved guru status in a variety of ways.

The question that begs an answer is: Was it worth it? Can foraging for your food or rejecting processed foods help you live a longer, healthier life?

These gurus all believed that their method of healthy living was best. In terms of contributing to longevity, however, you’ll see that some of the following lifestyles appear to have worked better than others.

Adelle Davis
Euell Gibbons
Gypsy Boots
Jack LaLanne
Jerome Irving Rodale
Jim Fixx
Joseph Pilates
Michel Montignac
Nathan Pritikin
Robert Atkins

<<check the healthline  website for the whole story>>

Jack LaLanne died in his 90,s from old age.  I,m 84 and did lots of his workouts.

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Interesting article. I remember watching Jack LaLanne’s exercise shows way back in the day.   I do think genetics plays a huge role in how long we live but it doesn’t hurt to incorporate healthy eating and exercise. 

My mother watched Jack LaLanne often.  I remember giggling at some of his patter like "Betty, get up off of that couch!"

Honored Contributor

my Mother passed at age 82..... my father at age 95.... I imagine I will make it somewhere inbetween those ages unless a bus hits me in the crosswalk. or I get shot in the streets....

Honored Contributor

I don't understand the point of this thread.  So there are some fitness and nutrition "gurus" who died young from disease?  How many people who are fitness and nutrition current "gurus" are doing very well?

Besides, even this list is weird.  For one, LaLanne lived to a ripe old age and was quite active in his latter years.  And Joseph Pilates developed a system to rehab injured dancers.  Cigar smoking had nothing to do with his contribution to fitness and his principles are widely used today.  I incorporate pilates movements with my clients (and myself) because of their effectiveness.