Trusted Contributor

Re: Horrible Cardiologist appointment

@Annabellethecat66  This wasn't her usual doctor. She wasn't going to be able to get in to see him until September so she took this other person. 

I think it's sad how @I am still oxox was made to feel. You know instinctively when you've been treated rudely. 

Honored Contributor

@Teddie I agree with you about Dr's needing to spend more time with people.

I remember watching a show where a daughter was worried about the care her Mom was getting (the poor woman was taking unbelievable amount of pills).

She somehow managed to get the Drs together to talk about her Mother's medicine and how to treat her.  It was amazing.  They were able to eleminate most of the medicine because (like what always happens, she was taking one medicine to counter the medicine the other was causing and so on).

Of course it could have been a fiction show and that never happens in real life but it would be interesting if it did.

As I've said often I had double knee replacement.  My back Dr worked with the Dr who did the knee replacement on the pain medicine and how I'd be treated.   Because they worked together I'm convinced my recovery went smoother than it might have otherwise.  I guess I'm lucky their ego's weren't so big they were willing to do that.  I've never heard of it happening and it's too bad.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Teddie I agree with you about Dr's needing to spend more time with people.

I remember watching a show where a daughter was worried about the care her Mom was getting (the poor woman was taking unbelievable amount of pills).

She somehow managed to get the Drs together to talk about her Mother's medicine and how to treat her.  It was amazing.  They were able to eleminate most of the medicine because (like what always happens, she was taking one medicine to counter the medicine the other was causing and so on).

Of course it could have been a fiction show and that never happens in real life but it would be interesting if it did.

As I've said often I had double knee replacement.  My back Dr worked with the Dr who did the knee replacement on the pain medicine and how I'd be treated.   Because they worked together I'm convinced my recovery went smoother than it might have otherwise.  I guess I'm lucky their ego's weren't so big they were willing to do that.  I've never heard of it happening and it's too bad.

@Annabellethecat66  You might have me confused with another poster as I believe someone else mentioned that. 

I agree with the thinking, though. 🙂

Honored Contributor

Two years ago when I was going through extreme stress with my mother's health, I switched her pcp mainly because of her sub par and worse treatment of my mother. Including physically seeing her for about 10 minutes in three total appointments. Others she farmed out to her NP. Included in those 10 minutes were several minutes discussing her home renovation, during which frankly I wanted to tell her to stfu. She also insisted that my 79 year old mother should have zero problem getting to these useless appointments with her even though my mother wasn't eating or getting out of bed.

Frankly I diagnosed my mother's thyroid problem (which this useless dr later told me were the worst numbers she had ever seen) and a wonderful ER nurse asked if I would like her to check it. Eureka. She was better than any dr for me at the time.

The final straw with this dr was a comment she made to me that was so beyond the pale that I should have reported her. I wrote a negative, completely truthful review about her which I believe she had removed from the site it was on. I would tell anyone to avoid her like the plague.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I agree with those who say that weight needs to be addressed with the doctor if it's an issue.  Yes there are people who are at a healthy weight who have heart issues but there is no denying that being overweight is a problem on one's heart. 

However, there is a tactful way for a doctor to address the issue and a rude way.  Blurting out "well what do you expect, you're 100 pounds overweight" is not a tactful way to address the issue.

As an aside, I also think some people are hyper sensitive about their weight so any discussion by a physician about a weight problem is going to be considered rude or unprofessional.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I agree with those who say that weight needs to be addressed with the doctor if it's an issue.  Yes there are people who are at a healthy weight who have heart issues but there is no denying that being overweight is a problem on one's heart. 

However, there is a tactful way for a doctor to address the issue and a rude way.  Blurting out "well what do you expect, you're 100 pounds overweight" is not a tactful way to address the issue.

As an aside, I also think some people are hyper sensitive about their weight so any discussion by a physician about a weight problem is going to be considered rude or unprofessional.  

What is "hypersensitive about weight", exactly? In this thread, I see people who strongly dislike rude commentary or advice under the guise of "concern" (or just to be rude because they enjoy it), be it from a doctor, your friends & family, or strangers on a forum.

I haven't seen anyone here say they find it "rude" or "unprofessional" if a doctor says "You know, your condition might improve if you were able to lose a few pounds/some weight," or even "I won't/can't do that surgery unless you lose another 20 lbs," and leave it at that. No judgment made or necessary.

The idea that sometimes it's good to behave rudely in order to browbeat or shame someone into doing something, as if they were children because "it's for their own good" is disgusting AFAIC.  And it's disgusting to do it to children, as well.

If your opinion is that every overweight person is always automatically "hypersensitve about their weight" simply by virtue of the fact that they are, with no other rationale, that would be...an interesting POV.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore  Thank you for reminding me of that movie.  I did see it years ago and really thought it was an important movie.  I think all drs. should see it.

Frequent Contributor

Wow,.. read all replies here,.. first off, xoxo,.. Im deeply sorry, that your " intern " ? dr, treated you that way.. I have had some ridiculous inters, WAYYY misdiagnose me in the past,.. for like some really petty things, even my grandkids, would know better on.. one mainly,.. I mentioned slightly in another thread,.. poison ivy,.. they told me I had Rock Mtn spotted fever... like.. * record skips.. here is what I have learned - if at any time, you go to see your Dr, and. ANYONE else, comes into the room, you have 10000% right, to refuse them, and request the actual Dr on staff, to meet with you. - Its you RIGHT.. most places, try to pass inters off, onto patients, so that the interns can get the required office hrs, to get degree. -- its ONLY if patients allow tho

Another mention, like several have brought up here... its called " bedside manner " - this, is something your DR, should be well versed in.. afterall,.. it deems, how well, they can politely interact with ppl, while delivering news. keeping in mind, that dealing with patients, can be a HIGHLY personal topic, if not the MOST...   this again, is what I am find the most difficult to read, in the replies here... no matter ANY persons age, weight, race,.. a true good Dr,. would and should be able to deliver ANY news, in the most huminatiarian of ways - PERIOD!

We are currently sueing in a wrongful death, in my mother in laws hospital care, matter of fact,.. its not something that I would have ever imagined us doing, but,.. the actual neglect, in her case, left all the family dumbfounded.. how disgraceful some of the ppl, we place the most trust in, can actually harm us.. makes me truly sidck, and saddened... I hope your true Dr. treats you with the respect you deserve, love!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What is "hypersensitive about weight", exactly? In this thread, I see people who strongly dislike rude commentary or advice under the guise of "concern" (or just to be rude because they enjoy it), be it from a doctor, your friends & family, or strangers on a forum.

I haven't seen anyone here say they find it "rude" or "unprofessional" if a doctor says "You know, your condition might improve if you were able to lose a few pounds/some weight," or even "I won't/can't do that surgery unless you lose another 20 lbs," and leave it at that. No judgment made or necessary.

The idea that sometimes it's good to behave rudely in order to browbeat or shame someone into doing something, as if they were children because "it's for their own good" is disgusting AFAIC.  And it's disgusting to do it to children, as well.

If your opinion is that every overweight person is always automatically "hypersensitve about their weight" simply by virtue of the fact that they are, with no other rationale, that would be...an interesting POV.

@Moonchilde, did you read my post?  Because it's pretty self-explanatory.  I think I was pretty clear in saying there is no excuse to be rude and there are tactful ways to address an issue and rude ways to address an issue.  And did you not catch the part where I said "some people?"   

By hypersensitive, I mean that there are some people who don't ever want the fact that they have a weight issue brought up and any mention of it, no matter how tactful or respectful a person is, they become upset, are offended and view the conversation as rude.  Sometimes they will  overreact and become upset. 

Everyone who has a weight issue knows they have a weight issue.  It's no secret.  But knowing that is much different than hearing it come out of someone else's mouth, directed at them, no matter how tactful or professional.    

Your last paragraph is so far off base I have no idea where you are even coming from and it makes me think you didn't even bother reading what I posted.

And your second to last paragraph.......talk about interesting.  I have no idea where that came from in relation to what I posted. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Moonchilde, did you read my post?  Because it's pretty self-explanatory.  I think I was pretty clear in saying there is no excuse to be rude and there are tactful ways to address an issue and rude ways to address an issue.  And did you not catch the part where I said "some people?"   

By hypersensitive, I mean that there are some people who don't ever want the fact that they have a weight issue brought up and any mention of it, no matter how tactful or respectful a person is, they become upset, are offended and view the conversation as rude.  Sometimes they will  overreact and become upset. 

Everyone who has a weight issue knows they have a weight issue.  It's no secret.  But knowing that is much different than hearing it come out of someone else's mouth, directed at them, no matter how tactful or professional.    

Your last paragraph is so far off base I have no idea where you are even coming from and it makes me think you didn't even bother reading what I posted.

And your second to last paragraph.......talk about interesting.  I have no idea where that came from in relation to what I posted. 

I can live with that 😎

I haven't seen "hypersensitive about weight" in this thread.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all