Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible Cardiologist appointment

She did not even give me a chance to talk about what has gone on in the last 6 months, also she relied on the blood pressure reading that the nurse had taken, two minutes before the nurse came in I realized I left my nook in the the waiting room, I ran back and forth trying to find it. Doctors always check your pressure a second time 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Doctors talking about weight isn't a new thing or a discriminatory practice.  I've heard from lots of friends the old "I'm dieting because I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks and I don't want the lecture."  

@santorini

I can relate to this and cannot tell you how many appointments I postponed for fear of stepping on the scale.  I have suffered from anorexia and bulimia since  I was a teenager.  My mother weighed my sister and I on a regular basis.  If our weight approached 120, she'd put us on a liquid fast.  That 120 remained a magic number in my mind.  If I weighed 115 on my home scale, I was afraid by the end of the day, on the doctor's scale, I'd be 5 pounds heavier.  Unless I was less than 110, I would not keep my appointment.

I am now 66 years old and from time to time, it is still a problem. (it doesn't matter that my doctor tells me I need to GAIN weight)

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

There is  satisfaction in leaving a bad review on one of the many sites available.  Just do a search for this physician's name and several sites will pop up, including Google and Yelp.  I don't do this much, just when I am completely outraged with something.  Like the $100.00 nite motel we stayed at that was one of the worst in my life. 

I don't leave only bad reviews for things - in fact I leave way more 3-5 stars than 1-2 stars.

My dentist's office, and recently my auto insurance, had 2 star ratings because any eejit can post on Yelp and most of the bad reviews were from people who (imagine that) were expected to pay for their services. I gave them both the reviews I felt the service I received from them deserved - 5 star. It helps their rating.

But yes, when I have a very bad doctor/dentist experience that is noted too. Thankfully it's not very often.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox

Unfortunately there are some doctors that might be very good in an OR, but when communicating with a patient, maybe this one is neither. I had 1 a few years ago that I walked out on while he was still babbling on. Was in an exam room and he thought his knowledge of my body was superior to mine. I disagreed and walked out.

Getting Iron Infused as we speak and 2 of my doctors, 1 also a good friend, stopped in to chat. Fortunately I have the best in both the OR and as person's that respects their patients. Steer those you know away from this doctor.

Hope you get feeling better and find out what is making you not feel well.

E.T.A.  Nurse just put Benadryl a few minutes ago into my IV for my allergy to Iron, which I am now having Infused! (huh)? Started effecting the waves from my brain to my fingers. They just were not hitting the keys I am aiming for on my tablet. Get a pretty big dose single my Anaphylactic Shock several Infusions back, guess it effects me more than I thought. Since it is always at least about 6 hours before I leave, it has all worn off, or I will not drive home. Anyways, didn't realize I messed up so much in this post.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@I am still oxox

I am so sorry this happened to you. It is very upsetting.

Do you think there is someplace you can report her?

Sometimes,there is a place online you can post a review and how you were treated.

Once this happened to me with an eye dr that took over my reg eye dr practice when he retired.

He was awful and when I got home I read his reviews that were all bad. I should have read them before I went and not after.

I even caught a bad eye infection from him

@MalteseMomma. I can relate to the eye DR.  I have one now that is excellent ,  but not what I would call friendly and dosent like bring questioned shall I say.  My eye dr before him,  same thing.  Maybe it is that specialty for some reason ??  Is it better to have a dr that is great at what he dose or one that is very nice,  I would prefer both ,  but that isn't always the true.  My primary is wonderful,  love her and so is my dentist and my allergist!  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11, small world. I have had sinus tachycardia since I was in my 20s and have been on a beta blocker all my adult life. I've also had HBP for many years.

Neither are because I was overweight, as I wasn't when either began - although that doesn't help, now. But it's not like they will both go away if I "just lose weight." I lost 65+ lbs and it had zero effect on either my BP, my A1c or my need for diabetes medication. I've recently lost 20 lbs and it's had no noticeable effect on my health.

Losing weight, or being a "normal" weight, is not the be-all and end-all to solve every ailment we have.

Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I believe that when a person is overweight he/she is treated differently and looked down upon by so many.  Most likely it is a form of discrimination. There is a new word for it:  fat shaming.  I see that more and more women (celebrities) are speaking out about it and calling the fat shamers out.  I also think doctors are guilty of this.

Oh yes, definitely.  I've had some really terrible experiences with doctors.  Now it takes a real crisis for me to call a doctor and I am nowhere near as overweight as I used to be.

Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Sometimes it may take a rude comment to get you to change your ways? I'm sure you know that your weight issues has something to do with your heart problems. Thats not news to you, right? You need to have a frank talk with yourself (and your regular cardiologist when you see him) about your choices here. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. You were given this appt, with this other doctor, for her comment to change your life (healthier). Good luck to you. 

You are very mistaken to assume that her heart issues are related to her weight.  That is a gross generalization.  Many regular weight people have heart issues.  Don't just assume.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately there are not very many geriatric physicians and assistance's.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

Unfortunately there are not very many geriatric physicians and assistance's.

What a strange comment to come along and "toss in."

Only a very few people in this thread mentioned their age, and none of them are over 70.  Not only that, geriatric physicians don't treat patients based solely on chronological age.

From the Cleveland Clinic (a renowned national medical center):

"A geriatric patient is an older person with impaired overall function (emphasis mine). There is no set age, but he or she is usually more than 75 years old with chronic illness(es), physical impairment and/or cognitive impairment."

Very few posters in this thread fit that profile. Is this just another "old people" whiz?

Just...weird.