Honored Contributor

Re: Hormone replacement therapy. What are your thoughts

I had a friend who took HRT as soon as menopause symptoms started.  We went to the same gynecologist who swore it was "the fountain of youth."  However when I tried it, my legs blew up like balloons and my symptoms got worse.  So I stopped.

My friend swore by it saying it was keeping her younger (over the years, I looked younger than she did, sorry if that sounds egotistical). 

When she started getting TIAs in her early 60s, the neurologist told her to stop taking HRT.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

none of the female gyns would ever write me a script. my night sweats were unbearable . at work i had two fans going at my desk

i have a uterus and ovaries. finally a male doctor wrote the Rx for combipatch.

i had a  lot a lot of hair falling out in clumps.  stopped the combi-patch. then he had me on an estrogen patch along with depoprovera tabs (medroxyprogesterone). same deal, my hair thinned horribly.  then i stopped the depo and cheated with just the patch. i remembered when i first took combo BC pills my hair was shedding a lot and i think the progesterone in the patch and later the progesterone pills caused the shed.

then i had a mammogram scare and had to have a digitak one where the do an mri? and there was an irregularity on one breast. needed to have every 6-months mammos.

now i take nothing. still with the hot flashes - esp at night, and horrible night sweats.  and without the estrogen i think i'm looking older but my hair is no longer falling out.   i miss feeling the "mojo"  if you know what i mean. without the hormones, intimate life isnt the same. but i don't want to take the synthetic hormones anymore and the blood clots are a very real risk.

very personal choice and i understand the decision to take HRT - it can ease symptoms but be informed there is a lways a trade off.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took compounded, bioidentical hormones for over 10 years. Had bloodwork done twice a year and the Dr. would adjust the dosage if necessary.  Creams were sent in mitered pumps and I used an estrogen patch.

Felt wonderful with no issues.

Last year, I had a complete hysterectomy and the GYN found a uterine tumor.  Thankfully, it was confined and had not spread to lymph nodes.  No further treatment was necessary.

However, because of that, I had to stop taking all hormones.

While hot flashes are minimal (I am now 65), I would be happy if I could take them again.

Hormones just make aging a bit easier and fix so many problems women experience!

I miss them, but do not want to take the risk of cancer returning.

Honored Contributor

I took it for about 18 years, after my hysterectomy.  But when I learned about the animals cruelty used to produce the products I stopped cold turkey.    I don't regret that decision for a minute and I could never be convinced to use those products again because of that.

Contributor

I did it in 2000 in my early 40's after Many issues with long periods and excess bleeding. After trying several different drugs one did work but I experienced large breast increase net with loss of elasticity, Malasma and my body shape changed ( my backside got flat as a pancake) I was horrified as I was a 44 year old newly married woman for the first time. I'd been on them four years and was never told about these possible changes. I stopped on my own after four years and told my doctor if my period came back I would have a hysterectomy . It never came back thankfully but neither did my body!  The Malasma took years to fade! I've never had any children but my once average size perky breast  (still in my forties) would have suggested I was much older with a passel of kids! As a first time newlywed at  44 with a still great body I was heartbroken! I would say to anyone Considering HRP look into alternative options if you have a choice; I wish I had!

Honored Contributor

I had a complete hysterectomy about 25 years ago.  When I woke up from the surgery I had an estrogen patch on to prevent me from having immediate hot flashes.  I don't remember how many years I took HRT, but at some point I quit and didn't have a problem.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I took it for about 18 years, after my hysterectomy.  But when I learned about the animals cruelty used to produce the products I stopped cold turkey.    I don't regret that decision for a minute and I could never be convinced to use those products again because of that.

@chickenbutt  That's only Premarin. There are many bioidentical hormones not produced that way, just FYI. Not trying to sound catty, just to clarify. 

Respected Contributor

So do Bio-identicals reduce the cancer risk or pose no risk at all?

Many of my 65 years and older friends use Vagifem (which is just estrace) but no Rx for progesterone. Anyone else?

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Many of my 65 years and older friends use Vagifem (which is just estrace) but no Rx for progesterone. Anyone else?

Bio-identicals still have risks, but lower than Premarin. It's my understanding that low dose topicals like Vagifem have much lower risk than systemic bios. But they also don't provide the benefit of reduced bone loss and managing symptoms like hot flashes. And even though estrogens can increase the risk of heart disease, they can also protect you from heart disease. I also believe that HRT lowers your risk of colon and rectal cancer. 

You can google HRT benefit vs risk, just make sure it is from a reputable source. 

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I've gotten different views from different GYNs.  Most are cautious when talking about cancer risks and hormones, no matter what kind.

Since I was taking bioidentical hormones, I felt less at risk, but still developed uterine cancer. 

Had that not happened, I would still be one them.