Honored Contributor

Hoooray! New Pain Management Device: Back & Legs

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

from WebMD:

Dec. 4, 2014 -- The FDA has approved an injectable microchip nerve-stimulation device for the relief of ongoing back and leg pain.

The Stimwave Freedom Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) system is expected to be available in the United States next January, the company, Stimwave Technologies Inc., said in a statement.

The device is already being sold in Europe to treat back and leg pain.

Developed by scientists and engineers led by co-inventor and company chairman Laura Tyler Perryman, the technology involves a tiny injectable microchip device that delivers small energy pulses to electrodes near surrounding nerves, the statement says. It "trigger a reaction that enables the brain to remap specific pain signals, thus providing pain relief. Historically with SCS, dependency on pain medications can be drastically reduced or even eliminated."

"This technology is no longer an academic-type science experiment, but a real, viable innovation that can immediately start being utilized by patients in pain," Perryman says in the statement.

Neuromodulation, or nerve stimulation, has been an FDA-approved treatment for back and leg pain for more than 30 years. The difference for this new device is the small size, the release says. Measuring between 2 cm and 11 cm, it can be implanted through a standard needle, making that process shorter and less expensive.

It is also wireless, getting rid of the need for wires to be connected to a power source. These external wires are the root of more than 80% of complications linked to this type of therapy, the company says.

The device has no internal batteries or other toxic materials, and is fixed in place by an anchor to limit its movement. It is a "permanent, long-term implant," the release says. "It naturally stays 'in line' with the body's nerves, allowing a freedom of motion that is impossible with bulkier implanted devices.”

People can also get a whole-body MRI scan without removing the device, "which is unique in the industry," the company says.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Re: Hoooray! New Pain Management Device: Back & Legs

It would be a wonderful thing... if and when it happens.

Super Contributor

I'm first in line!
Honored Contributor

Sorry 'bout the small font size; it was bigger before ""QVC-ification"".

Just zoom/enlarge it if necessary.

Honored Contributor

On 12/4/2014 Go Pokes! said:

It would be a wonderful thing... if and when it happens.

That will be January 2015 , as per this - and other - articles.

Honored Contributor

On 12/4/2014 AnnaBella said: I'm first in line!

Frequent Contributor

Just had the injectables on my back today for nerve irritation producing leg pain. Hope that works. If not , good to know there are other forms of relief coming down the road. Thanks.
Honored Contributor

On 12/4/2014 nickycat said: Just had the injectables on my back today for nerve irritation producing leg pain. Hope that works. If not , good to know there are other forms of relief coming down the road. Thanks.

Years ago, I had something similar done for "SI joint dysfunction" in my very lower back (almost on top of the buttocks), that had produced lower-spine-down-to-both-legs nerve pain.

It did help somewhat.

Thanks for your thanks, and I hope it goes well for you. 8-)