Super Contributor

Re: Home remedies for kidney stones?

On 9/27/2014 becca914 said: I know you said your friend cannot afford treatment, but a trip to ER will get X-rays to see how big they are and how many. Also, they give you prescription for uber pain medicine to get you through it. My husband has been through it many times, and some cases probably could have gone without a doctor. But this last time he tried to do it on his own, and he ended up in ER with stone lodged in the tip of his p****. Omg! It had torn things on the way down. How he did not realize how bad it was, I don't know. He got it broken up and removed. So, my point is, how do you know it is passable unless you get an X-ray? Just be cautious and get help if there is tons of blood. I think there is lots of blood anyway so I cannot be sure when it's too much.

OMG! That must have been brutal! Isn't it true that if you go anywhere in the USA, into an emergency room, they cannot turn you away if you are in need? I thought the USA was like that.

A trip there is worth it. It could also be something other than a kidney stone, maybe even a kidney infection.

Your poor husband!

Honored Contributor

I can't say remedies, but I do know that high uric acid levels and not drinking as much water as one should can be a contributory factor in causing some to experience kidney stones. I worked with all males for over 30 years and the ones of Blood Pressure meds. They were also the ones with low potassium and high uric acid blood levels and many had bouts with kidney stones.

Other than that?

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

All I can say is the last place I would get medical advice would be from the QVC forum???

Honored Contributor

The ER costs a fortune and you will owe for your services there. It would actually be cheaper to call a few urologists and ask if one will see you, and how much the visit will cost. They can also prescribe pain relievers, if necessary. Most of the treatment for stones, if you don't catch the stone to examine it, is just wait and see when it passes. This is the first time I have heard Vitamin D is associated with stones. I take it, so I will have to look into it. I wish I had a few tips for you, and when I find some, I will add them in. I did learn that drinking tea, regularly, can cause stones. I have quit. The oxalates are a cause of stones and some also block thyroid hormones-the cruciferous vegetables. It is a shame, too, because these foods have so many beneficial attributes. I have to cut back on some of these foods. Try the citric acid, lemonade, help.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Cookie06 said:

All I can say is the last place I would get medical advice would be from the QVC forum???

How right you are!!!!
Valued Contributor

On 9/27/2014 BlingQueen022 said:
On 9/27/2014 Cookie06 said:

How right you are!!!!

That's because she's a SMART COOKIE!

Super Contributor

OKAY, these suggestions are not harmful to begin with and help me. Number one (so to speak), drink enough water until your P is as clear as possible. That way you will have an idea how much you actually need without going overboard! Just remember things like fortified cereals and vitamins can darken urine (which is not harmful) so keep that in mind when you consume these so you don't freak out! I keep packets of Real Lemon handy for the water or put a few squeezes of juice in. Number two, if you need to take a calcium supplement take CitraCal + D. I stay away from caffeine and dark colored sodas. Light sodas like 7-Up are OK.

As was mentioned, ask your doctor what is best. I had to ask my urologist what on earth I can consume to help avoid forming stones in the first place since so many foods that are healthy I have to stay away from (Lord I miss a good spinach salad!). He did say even tea was bad. Now I'm pretty addicted to ginger tea and don't miss the regular stuff! If I follow the 'plenty of water' with citrus I can indulge in salads, chocolates and other no-nos once in a while.

Respected Contributor

As a woman who has had 2 bouts yearly with kidney stones over the past 8 years - have your doctor check your serum calcium. Mine is high and I am being started on Sensipar.

Doctor(s) have told me....water, water, water, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

My pattern is that it starts with back pain over a few days and worsens the day I pass the stone. The pain is excruciating and in my case, lasts 8 hours or so. Then, I become nauseous and vomit, go #1 and it passes. After that, I'm pretty much as good as new.

There is NO cure.

Super Contributor

Nothing works.

I had them at 60 and was told one thing caused them, then in another breath I would be told that didn't something else did. Nobody knows what causes them and I had to go through a lot to get rid of them. At the urologist.

I drink about 64 oz. of water a day.

I hope she can get rid of them. I didn't know what in the world was wrong with me and my husband took me to the ER. I just about crawled in and told them I did not know what was wrong. Didn't care What they did to me, just stop the pain.

Respected Contributor

I got a catalog with an Amazon tooth powder order that contains lots of homeopathic products. The company is smallflower.com and the product for Kidney Stones is Rowatinex.