Super Contributor

Re: Home remedies for kidney stones?

On 9/27/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/27/2014 Lannie said:

Nothing and I mean nothing dissolves kidney stones, unfortunately. Lemon in water can help prevent stone formation, or prevent stones from getting larger, but not dissolve the stones.

Are the stones still in her kidney or on the way down? If still in the kidney, there is nothing they usually do except keep a close watch on it, unless it is large and cannot be passed, then they will remove it by the best method possible.

If on their way down, drink lots of water, stay active and hope they don't get stuck too bad on the way.

I've had them for 50 years now and there is nothing worse. I wish they would find out why people form them. I've been told different things over the years and then they will reverse themselves. It also depends on what the stones are made of as to what to stay away from. I wish the best for your friend.

Right, there is no home cure. The best you can do at home is drink copious amounts of liquid and hope you pass the stone.

However... there is a risk to that. It can be dangerous if you aren't passing it. Best to have some medical oversight.

No one should drink copious amounts of water. More than usual, yes. Too much water consumption is extremely dangerous, it messes up a person's electrolytes and can even kill them if they survive the coma.

This is important. Drink plenty of water does not mean drink yourself to death!

Please be careful and always seek medical attention from your doctor if you're not sure what to do.

But don't drink copious amounts of water to the point of getting into trouble physically!

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:

Nothing and I mean nothing dissolves kidney stones, unfortunately. Lemon in water can help prevent stone formation, or prevent stones from getting larger, but not dissolve the stones.

Are the stones still in her kidney or on the way down? If still in the kidney, there is nothing they usually do except keep a close watch on it, unless it is large and cannot be passed, then they will remove it by the best method possible.

If on their way down, drink lots of water, stay active and hope they don't get stuck too bad on the way.

I've had them for 50 years now and there is nothing worse. I wish they would find out why people form them. I've been told different things over the years and then they will reverse themselves. It also depends on what the stones are made of as to what to stay away from. I wish the best for your friend.

If there is a large kidney stone which is formed, drinking lemon juice can break it up and cause a coat to form it so it is easier to pass in smaller, less painful pieces. It will also cause a coating to form on the smaller ones so nothing will attach, causing them to get bigger.

So drinking lemon juice is good for those reasons. It may not turn a stone into dust, but it might turn a "boulder" into sand.

Oh how I wish this were true and it was that simple! But as I said, it can help prevent and help them from getting larger, but it cannot dissolve, break apart or coat them.

Lithotripsy is the only thing that can blast them into pieces, hopefully small enough to pass. I have had it done twice and neither time did that powerful machine turn it into sand. There were still little pieces I painfully had to pass.

Whatever you want to do, believe, is fine with me.

But I did a quick search, you could too… Here's one from the first page, but you can find others...

Citric acid is an organic acid and a natural component of many fruits and fruit juices. It is not a vitamin or mineral and is not required in the diet. However, citric acid, not to be confused with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is beneficial for people with kidney stones. It inhibits stone formation and breaks up small stones that are beginning to form. Citric acid is protective; the more citric acid in your urine, the more protected you are against forming new kidney stones. Citrate, used in calcium citrate supplements and in some medications (such as potassium citrate), is closely related to citric acid and also has stone prevention benefits. These medications may be prescribed to alkalinize your urine.

How does citric acid protect against kidney stones?

Citric acid makes urine less favorable for the formation of stones. In its natural form, such as from citrus fruits, citric acid does not alkalinize the urine as citrate (from medication) does. Rather, it prevents small stones from becoming “problem stones” by coating them and preventing other material from attaching and building onto the stones.

What are the best food sources of citric acid?
Citric acid is most prevalent in citrus fruits and juices. Of these fruits, lemons and limes have the most citric acid.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/kidney_citric_acid.pdf

PDF link.

".....it breaks up small stones that are beginning to form....." It will not break up a stone that is already formed.

Couldn't believe it when I read your source - this is the place, Clinic, Hospital, Stone Clinic I went to for my kidney stones for many many years! Loved my drs there. I helped them get a Lithotripsy machine of their very own - my dr was so happy he took me on a tour of it!

Read what you wrote:

Oh how I wish this were true and it was that simple! But as I said, it can help prevent and help them from getting larger, but it cannot dissolve, break apart or coat them.

And why should I search for sources for you, when you can do it yourself? I said I picked one off the first page! If you want to go to the hospital, go! Have a blast, literally!

Hopefully without shearing. That is why coating and breaking them down is important, but, no, you do what you want.

For those interested,

You should stay away from things, in your diet, that have those fine hairs on or in food. For example, the whisps on blackberries, the "hair" on mature spinach or kale leaves, artichoke fibers, etc. Why? They get caught up in your kidneys and sand/stones can form as particles can attach to them.

Even if you are sand/stone free, drinking a fresh glass of squeezed lemon juice is good to do every once and a while. It is good too, warmed, with honey.

Oh my gosh, I never asked you to search sources for me - I know what to do for my kidney stones. I do drink lemon in my water every day. I follow up on a regular basis with my urologist.

You were saying you could break up large stones by doing this and that is NOT what the article said. Why all the hostility and thanks a lot by the way - I certainly wouldn't wish kidney stones on you.

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:

If there is a large kidney stone which is formed, drinking lemon juice can break it up and cause a coat to form it so it is easier to pass in smaller, less painful pieces. It will also cause a coating to form on the smaller ones so nothing will attach, causing them to get bigger.

So drinking lemon juice is good for those reasons. It may not turn a stone into dust, but it might turn a "boulder" into sand.

Lithotripsy is the only thing that can blast them into pieces, hopefully small enough to pass. I have had it done twice and neither time did that powerful machine turn it into sand. There were still little pieces I painfully had to pass.

Whatever you want to do, believe, is fine with me.

But I did a quick search, you could too… Here's one from the first page, but you can find others...

Citric acid is an organic acid and a natural component of many fruits and fruit juices. It is not a vitamin or mineral and is not required in the diet. However, citric acid, not to be confused with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is beneficial for people with kidney stones. It inhibits stone formation and breaks up small stones that are beginning to form. Citric acid is protective; the more citric acid in your urine, the more protected you are against forming new kidney stones. Citrate, used in calcium citrate supplements and in some medications (such as potassium citrate), is closely related to citric acid and also has stone prevention benefits. These medications may be prescribed to alkalinize your urine.

How does citric acid protect against kidney stones?

Citric acid makes urine less favorable for the formation of stones. In its natural form, such as from citrus fruits, citric acid does not alkalinize the urine as citrate (from medication) does. Rather, it prevents small stones from becoming “problem stones” by coating them and preventing other material from attaching and building onto the stones.

What are the best food sources of citric acid?
Citric acid is most prevalent in citrus fruits and juices. Of these fruits, lemons and limes have the most citric acid.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/kidney_citric_acid.pdf

PDF link.

".....it breaks up small stones that are beginning to form....." It will not break up a stone that is already formed.

Couldn't believe it when I read your source - this is the place, Clinic, Hospital, Stone Clinic I went to for my kidney stones for many many years! Loved my drs there. I helped them get a Lithotripsy machine of their very own - my dr was so happy he took me on a tour of it!

Read what you wrote:

And why should I search for sources for you, when you can do it yourself? I said I picked one off the first page! If you want to go to the hospital, go! Have a blast, literally!

Hopefully without shearing. That is why coating and breaking them down is important, but, no, you do what you want.

For those interested,

You should stay away from things, in your diet, that have those fine hairs on or in food. For example, the whisps on blackberries, the "hair" on mature spinach or kale leaves, artichoke fibers, etc. Why? They get caught up in your kidneys and sand/stones can form as particles can attach to them.

Even if you are sand/stone free, drinking a fresh glass of squeezed lemon juice is good to do every once and a while. It is good too, warmed, with honey.

Oh my gosh, I never asked you to search sources for me - I know what to do for my kidney stones. I do drink lemon in my water every day. I follow up on a regular basis with my urologist.

You were saying you could break up large stones by doing this and that is NOT what the article said. Why all the hostility and thanks a lot by the way - I certainly wouldn't wish kidney stones on you.

Where did I say that? Seriously. Are you okay? I mean no offense, but why are you all over me when this isn't even your thread, is it? So you have a process which apparently you are overjoyed with, and apparently works for you. So what are you here all over me about--for attention? Okay, I acknowledge you have giant stones which no lemon drink could help break down into smaller parts, you have no way to dissolve pits of particles which attach to the tiny fibers which catch up in the kidneys, you need special treatment and you are henceforth acknowledged and given a medal for the tolerance of pain and procedures you must endure.

Now for the OP, who asked for HOME remedies, you shouldn't even be looking in this thread. You have no home remedy. You need special treatment because you cannot do a home remedy. Nothing will work for you, and you, apparently are the authority on knowing about your special condition, so there you go. You have special stones and special kidneys and special treatment and you're special. Feel better.

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:

I think you are the one that needs help. Your sarcasm and rudeness and lies betray you. I will not add further to your comments.

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:

I think you are the one that needs help. Your sarcasm and rudeness and lies betray you. I will not add further to your comments.

Put the entire thing in context and don't be so literal, surely you, nor anyone else has a boulder in their kidney.

And I was not rude. If you read rudeness in comments, it is because you write rude comments. I don't write rude comments. I acknowledged your stones, and I wished you well, too.

You implied wishing kidney stones on me. Real nice.

Super Contributor

Simply put, they need to be evaluated by a Physician. Don't potentially risk your life. You don't even know for sure that is what it is unless you've been evaluated by a Doctor. No money or insurance, see a Physician at a free clinic if worse comes to worse.

Super Contributor

Adult urology

Lemonade Therapy Increases Urinary Citrate and Urine Volumes in Patients with Recurrent Calcium Oxalate Stone Formation

Potassium citrate is prescribed to patients with calcium oxalate (CaOx) stone formation to increase urinary citrate and pH, thus reducing CaOx crystal formation. Lemonade therapy (LT) might also increase urinary citrate and the total urine volume. We compared the effects of LT alone (group 1, n = 63) and potassium citrate plus LT (group 2, n = 37) in patients with CaOx stone formation on the urinary citrate and total urine volume to determine the efficacy of LT.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0090429507017979

Foods that contain oxalates

The following are some examples of the most common sources of oxalates, arranged by food group. It is important to note that the leaves of a plant almost always contain higher oxalate levels than the roots, stems, and stalks.

• Fruits - blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, kiwifruit, concord (purple) grapes, figs, tangerines, and plums
  • Vegetables (see Table 1 for additional information) spinach, Swiss chard, beets (root part), beet greens (leaf part), collards, okra, parsley, leeks and quinoa are among the most oxalate-dense vegetables
  • celery, green beans, rutabagas, and summer squash would be considered moderately dense in oxalates
  • Nuts and seeds -almonds, cashews, and peanuts

• Legumes - soybeans, tofu and other soy products
  • Grains - wheat bran, wheat germ, quinoa (a vegetable often used like a grain)
  • Other - cocoa, chocolate, and black tea

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 WillEscapeCAsoon said:

Simply put, they need to be evaluated by a Physician. Don't potentially risk your life. You don't even know for sure that is what it is unless you've been evaluated by a Doctor. No money or insurance, see a Physician at a free clinic if worse comes to worse.

Always true!

Contributor

I know you said your friend cannot afford treatment, but a trip to ER will get X-rays to see how big they are and how many. Also, they give you prescription for uber pain medicine to get you through it. My husband has been through it many times, and some cases probably could have gone without a doctor. But this last time he tried to do it on his own, and he ended up in ER with stone lodged in the tip of his p****. Omg! It had torn things on the way down. How he did not realize how bad it was, I don't know. He got it broken up and removed. So, my point is, how do you know it is passable unless you get an X-ray? Just be cautious and get help if there is tons of blood. I think there is lots of blood anyway so I cannot be sure when it's too much.
Contributor

On 9/27/2014 WillEscapeCAsoon said:

I did not see this! I totally agree