Contributor

Home remedies for kidney stones?

I have a friend who has them and doesn't have much money for treatment.

Anyone ever beat them on your own at home?

Thank you!

Super Contributor

Re: Home remedies for kidney stones?

Unless your stones are abnormally large or stuck, the general medical treatment is "drink a ton of water and wait." You can add lemon juice to the water as there is thought that the citric acid helps to dissolve the stones. I've had kidney stones multiple times, I feel your friend's pain! Really, drinking TONS of water is key, and also important in preventing recurrence.
Super Contributor

Red kidney beans. If you buy them in a can, buy organic. If you buy them in a can, also thoroughly, absolutely completely, rinse them--I mean get your hands in the rinse and run cold water as they tumble in a colander as you toss them. Why? That liquid is what causes the toots, lol. Eat them tossed with olive oil and cider vinegar and a bit of seasoning to taste.

Don't drink cranberry juice. Drink fresh squeezed lemon in water (dissolves the stone).

Cranberry aggravates the stone situation but is good for a kidney infection, NOT stones.

Drink a lot of water and lemon water at least four glasses a day spread out between water. And pee the second you feel the need.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Nothing and I mean nothing dissolves kidney stones, unfortunately. Lemon in water can help prevent stone formation, or prevent stones from getting larger, but not dissolve the stones.

Are the stones still in her kidney or on the way down? If still in the kidney, there is nothing they usually do except keep a close watch on it, unless it is large and cannot be passed, then they will remove it by the best method possible.

If on their way down, drink lots of water, stay active and hope they don't get stuck too bad on the way.

I've had them for 50 years now and there is nothing worse. I wish they would find out why people form them. I've been told different things over the years and then they will reverse themselves. It also depends on what the stones are made of as to what to stay away from. I wish the best for your friend.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had kidney stones a few times over the last 5 years .... very painful .... I was not able to eat anything while I had the stones ..... I drank tons of water until the stones passed and after they passed I was famished! .... the first time I had stones was scary because I did not know what to expect ... when the stones passed I got a very strange cutting feeling ""down below"" as they were passing ... the next time I got stones I could not wait to get that feeling again because it meant they were gone and the pain associated with the stones would be gone. You have to drink lots of water.
Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Lannie said:

Nothing and I mean nothing dissolves kidney stones, unfortunately. Lemon in water can help prevent stone formation, or prevent stones from getting larger, but not dissolve the stones.

Are the stones still in her kidney or on the way down? If still in the kidney, there is nothing they usually do except keep a close watch on it, unless it is large and cannot be passed, then they will remove it by the best method possible.

If on their way down, drink lots of water, stay active and hope they don't get stuck too bad on the way.

I've had them for 50 years now and there is nothing worse. I wish they would find out why people form them. I've been told different things over the years and then they will reverse themselves. It also depends on what the stones are made of as to what to stay away from. I wish the best for your friend.

If there is a large kidney stone which is formed, drinking lemon juice can break it up and cause a coat to form it so it is easier to pass in smaller, less painful pieces. It will also cause a coating to form on the smaller ones so nothing will attach, causing them to get bigger.

So drinking lemon juice is good for those reasons. It may not turn a stone into dust, but it might turn a "boulder" into sand.

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:

If there is a large kidney stone which is formed, drinking lemon juice can break it up and cause a coat to form it so it is easier to pass in smaller, less painful pieces. It will also cause a coating to form on the smaller ones so nothing will attach, causing them to get bigger.

So drinking lemon juice is good for those reasons. It may not turn a stone into dust, but it might turn a "boulder" into sand.

Oh how I wish this were true and it was that simple! But as I said, it can help prevent and help them from getting larger, but it cannot dissolve, break apart or coat them.

Lithotripsy is the only thing that can blast them into pieces, hopefully small enough to pass. I have had it done twice and neither time did that powerful machine turn it into sand. There were still little pieces I painfully had to pass.

Super Contributor

Teaspoons of olive oil and tons of water

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:

Oh how I wish this were true and it was that simple! But as I said, it can help prevent and help them from getting larger, but it cannot dissolve, break apart or coat them.

Lithotripsy is the only thing that can blast them into pieces, hopefully small enough to pass. I have had it done twice and neither time did that powerful machine turn it into sand. There were still little pieces I painfully had to pass.

Whatever you want to do, believe, is fine with me.

But I did a quick search, you could too… Here's one from the first page, but you can find others...

Citric acid is an organic acid and a natural component of many fruits and fruit juices. It is not a vitamin or mineral and is not required in the diet. However, citric acid, not to be confused with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is beneficial for people with kidney stones. It inhibits stone formation and breaks up small stones that are beginning to form. Citric acid is protective; the more citric acid in your urine, the more protected you are against forming new kidney stones. Citrate, used in calcium citrate supplements and in some medications (such as potassium citrate), is closely related to citric acid and also has stone prevention benefits. These medications may be prescribed to alkalinize your urine.

How does citric acid protect against kidney stones?

Citric acid makes urine less favorable for the formation of stones. In its natural form, such as from citrus fruits, citric acid does not alkalinize the urine as citrate (from medication) does. Rather, it prevents small stones from becoming “problem stones” by coating them and preventing other material from attaching and building onto the stones.

What are the best food sources of citric acid?
Citric acid is most prevalent in citrus fruits and juices. Of these fruits, lemons and limes have the most citric acid.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/kidney_citric_acid.pdf

PDF link.

Honored Contributor

Lots of water...and I also read that apple cider vinegar (preferably unstrained organic) is supposed to help. Hope your friend finds relief!