Honored Contributor

Re: Home remedies for kidney stones?

On 9/27/2014 Lannie said:

Nothing and I mean nothing dissolves kidney stones, unfortunately. Lemon in water can help prevent stone formation, or prevent stones from getting larger, but not dissolve the stones.

Are the stones still in her kidney or on the way down? If still in the kidney, there is nothing they usually do except keep a close watch on it, unless it is large and cannot be passed, then they will remove it by the best method possible.

If on their way down, drink lots of water, stay active and hope they don't get stuck too bad on the way.

I've had them for 50 years now and there is nothing worse. I wish they would find out why people form them. I've been told different things over the years and then they will reverse themselves. It also depends on what the stones are made of as to what to stay away from. I wish the best for your friend.

Right, there is no home cure. The best you can do at home is drink copious amounts of liquid and hope you pass the stone.

However... there is a risk to that. It can be dangerous if you aren't passing it. Best to have some medical oversight.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

AZO for the pain on urination and drink a ton of cranberry juice has always worked for me, I get them a couple times a year. If the stone(s) is big, that's doctor time.

I also agree with Lannie, there has been so much changing of the mind as to why some people get them and others don't. I've been told to avoid dairy and I don't even consume any now, the stones continue.

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:

Nothing and I mean nothing dissolves kidney stones, unfortunately. Lemon in water can help prevent stone formation, or prevent stones from getting larger, but not dissolve the stones.

Are the stones still in her kidney or on the way down? If still in the kidney, there is nothing they usually do except keep a close watch on it, unless it is large and cannot be passed, then they will remove it by the best method possible.

If on their way down, drink lots of water, stay active and hope they don't get stuck too bad on the way.

I've had them for 50 years now and there is nothing worse. I wish they would find out why people form them. I've been told different things over the years and then they will reverse themselves. It also depends on what the stones are made of as to what to stay away from. I wish the best for your friend.

If there is a large kidney stone which is formed, drinking lemon juice can break it up and cause a coat to form it so it is easier to pass in smaller, less painful pieces. It will also cause a coating to form on the smaller ones so nothing will attach, causing them to get bigger.

So drinking lemon juice is good for those reasons. It may not turn a stone into dust, but it might turn a "boulder" into sand.

Oh how I wish this were true and it was that simple! But as I said, it can help prevent and help them from getting larger, but it cannot dissolve, break apart or coat them.

Lithotripsy is the only thing that can blast them into pieces, hopefully small enough to pass. I have had it done twice and neither time did that powerful machine turn it into sand. There were still little pieces I painfully had to pass.

Whatever you want to do, believe, is fine with me.

But I did a quick search, you could too… Here's one from the first page, but you can find others...

Citric acid is an organic acid and a natural component of many fruits and fruit juices. It is not a vitamin or mineral and is not required in the diet. However, citric acid, not to be confused with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is beneficial for people with kidney stones. It inhibits stone formation and breaks up small stones that are beginning to form. Citric acid is protective; the more citric acid in your urine, the more protected you are against forming new kidney stones. Citrate, used in calcium citrate supplements and in some medications (such as potassium citrate), is closely related to citric acid and also has stone prevention benefits. These medications may be prescribed to alkalinize your urine.

How does citric acid protect against kidney stones?

Citric acid makes urine less favorable for the formation of stones. In its natural form, such as from citrus fruits, citric acid does not alkalinize the urine as citrate (from medication) does. Rather, it prevents small stones from becoming “problem stones” by coating them and preventing other material from attaching and building onto the stones.

What are the best food sources of citric acid?
Citric acid is most prevalent in citrus fruits and juices. Of these fruits, lemons and limes have the most citric acid.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/kidney_citric_acid.pdf

PDF link.

".....it breaks up small stones that are beginning to form....." It will not break up a stone that is already formed.

Couldn't believe it when I read your source - this is the place, Clinic, Hospital, Stone Clinic I went to for my kidney stones for many many years! Loved my drs there. I helped them get a Lithotripsy machine of their very own - my dr was so happy he took me on a tour of it!

Trusted Contributor

Lots of good advice, as in drink lots of water & try to pass it on your own. If your friend had one, he/she will probably get another. A urologist will recommend you strain your urine. If you are able to do that & can recover a stone fragment, it can be analyzed to find out the composition. That's important in your future diet as to what foods to avoid. I highly recommend the book, "No More Kidney Stones" by John Rodman MD. It has lots of concise advice if your friend is serious about future problems. Good luck with all this.

Valued Contributor

Look on amazon for a product called Stone Free. Great reviews and worked quickly for my husband, recommended!

Honored Contributor

I am the only person in my family not plagued with kidney stones. My parents had them several times, and were always able to pass theirs. Both of my brothers tend to form huge stones they cannot pass, that must be broken up with lithotripsy; they have had stones that required a second lithotripsy treatment to break apart. My husband has had 3 bouts with kidney stones during our marriage. I have been in the ER with him when he ripped the end of his finger off, broke bones, sawed thru fingers with a skill saw, and he still refused pain medication. His first kidney stone hit at work, and he was taken to a hospital in that area. By the time I could drive there, he had received the maximum dosage of Demerol that the doctor could give him. The doctor said that dosage would normally put someone out for a real nice nap. My husband was still writhing in pain, and that did not ease until he received morphine on top of the Demerol. It took up to 2 weeks for him to pass each stone. I can understand someone wanting to avoid a trip to the ER, but hospitals have a charity program your friend can apply for, to help with costs of their medical treatment. Do not let your friend suffer, or risk damage to their kidneys just because of the cost.
Super Contributor

Lemon or lime juice in warm water is helpful............BUT if the pain is really intense or last more than a few days please call your doctor...........you can get damage it it goes untreated for too long......my aunt kept hoping that her stones would pass and she eventually had to have surgery to remove the largest stones.........
Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 ical said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:

If there is a large kidney stone which is formed, drinking lemon juice can break it up and cause a coat to form it so it is easier to pass in smaller, less painful pieces. It will also cause a coating to form on the smaller ones so nothing will attach, causing them to get bigger.

So drinking lemon juice is good for those reasons. It may not turn a stone into dust, but it might turn a "boulder" into sand.

Oh how I wish this were true and it was that simple! But as I said, it can help prevent and help them from getting larger, but it cannot dissolve, break apart or coat them.

Lithotripsy is the only thing that can blast them into pieces, hopefully small enough to pass. I have had it done twice and neither time did that powerful machine turn it into sand. There were still little pieces I painfully had to pass.

Whatever you want to do, believe, is fine with me.

But I did a quick search, you could too… Here's one from the first page, but you can find others...

Citric acid is an organic acid and a natural component of many fruits and fruit juices. It is not a vitamin or mineral and is not required in the diet. However, citric acid, not to be confused with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is beneficial for people with kidney stones. It inhibits stone formation and breaks up small stones that are beginning to form. Citric acid is protective; the more citric acid in your urine, the more protected you are against forming new kidney stones. Citrate, used in calcium citrate supplements and in some medications (such as potassium citrate), is closely related to citric acid and also has stone prevention benefits. These medications may be prescribed to alkalinize your urine.

How does citric acid protect against kidney stones?

Citric acid makes urine less favorable for the formation of stones. In its natural form, such as from citrus fruits, citric acid does not alkalinize the urine as citrate (from medication) does. Rather, it prevents small stones from becoming “problem stones” by coating them and preventing other material from attaching and building onto the stones.

What are the best food sources of citric acid?
Citric acid is most prevalent in citrus fruits and juices. Of these fruits, lemons and limes have the most citric acid.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/kidney_citric_acid.pdf

PDF link.

".....it breaks up small stones that are beginning to form....." It will not break up a stone that is already formed.

Couldn't believe it when I read your source - this is the place, Clinic, Hospital, Stone Clinic I went to for my kidney stones for many many years! Loved my drs there. I helped them get a Lithotripsy machine of their very own - my dr was so happy he took me on a tour of it!

Read what you wrote:

And why should I search for sources for you, when you can do it yourself? I said I picked one off the first page! If you want to go to the hospital, go! Have a blast, literally!

Hopefully without shearing. That is why coating and breaking them down is important, but, no, you do what you want.

For those interested,

You should stay away from things, in your diet, that have those fine hairs on or in food. For example, the whisps on blackberries, the "hair" on mature spinach or kale leaves, artichoke fibers, etc. Why? They get caught up in your kidneys and sand/stones can form as particles can attach to them.

Even if you are sand/stone free, drinking a fresh glass of squeezed lemon juice is good to do every once and a while. It is good too, warmed, with honey.

Super Contributor

I've had kidney stones off and on since I was 20. My stones are calcium oxalate. A few years ago the Dr. I was seeing prescribed Potassium Citrate. I take one a day and since then, I've been able to pass my stones at home. I had a couple of large stones and don't know how I managed to pass them. They felt like shards of glass when they came out. OUCH. I didn't feel the smaller ones at all. Be careful if you're a stone former and you take large doses of vitamin d. Those caused me to get a lot of stones. I'm just glad I haven't had to go through another Lithotripsy for several years now. I hope your friend will be able to pass her stones without a lot of pain.

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Sunshine said:

I've had kidney stones off and on since I was 20. My stones are calcium oxalate. A few years ago the Dr. I was seeing prescribed Potassium Citrate. I take one a day and since then, I've been able to pass my stones at home. I had a couple of large stones and don't know how I managed to pass them. They felt like shards of glass when they came out. OUCH. I didn't feel the smaller ones at all. Be careful if you're a stone former and you take large doses of vitamin d. Those caused me to get a lot of stones. I'm just glad I haven't had to go through another Lithotripsy for several years now. I hope your friend will be able to pass her stones without a lot of pain.