Respected Contributor

@patbzwrote:

Did you know that if you are 65 or older Medicare covers annual exam by Opthamalogist as well as basic cataract surgery?

Thanks and yes I do know that and I have had my annual eye exams but as I mentioned above, I had put it off due to covid plus I had the knee surgery last year. The provider called me to advise that the home visit service was available thru medicare and covered by my health insurance company so I took advantage of it. I just wanted others to know of the benefit and the outcome of my home visit. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: Home eye exam

[ Edited ]

ID2 wrote:

I've never stopped going to my eye appts. I can't afford to! If I did, I'd probably be going blind. I have and still go to my regular ophthalmologist for my regular treatments. And I went to my local eyeglass store for new glasses back in August. I'm not letting this virus run my life. Nope, not gonna happen.

"Pure Michigan"

ID2,  Your fortunate that you have a life that YOUR not "letting this virus run";  however, there are over 500,000 people in the U.S.  that have died and their lives were "ran by this virus". I'm sure they also said "nope, not gonna happen", but it sure did!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Home eye exam

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info which I may look into. I didn't have my annual eye exam last September, 2020.  I still don't feel it's safe. Next to dentistry I think putting your face into all those ophthalmic machines is risky in addition to having the ophthalmologist so close to your face.  I would have to see them disinfect each machine right in front of me and then I'd have to wait until it dried. And I'm not talking a quick alcohol swipe. I doubt any eye practice would go for that.  I'm hoping by the summer when many more people are vaccinated that I'll feel more comfortable about going.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have been to a fairly large size Opthamalogist practice several times since this began and their preventive practices have been second to none ( including dentist and hospital ).  We were very impressed.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Goodie2shoes :  Did you know that if you are 65 or older Medicare covers annual exam by Opthamalogist as well as basic cataract surgery?

Medicare will also cover services provided by an Optometrist