Respected Contributor

I wear glasses and due to the pandemic and my 2 knee surgeries last year I had to cancel my annual eye exam. I had been planning to schedule an appointment soon now that I feel a little more comfortable going since it would be after my second covid vaccination next week . I am having some difficulty reading and will probably need a new perscription. About 2 weeks ago I recieved a call from a home eye care company (never heard of that) asking if I wanted to schedule a home appointment to have my eye exam and said they were given my contact info by my health insurance company.  I scheduled the appointment after calling my insurance company who confirmed it's a benefit thru medicare.  They also follow the CDC guidelines of course. Just thought I would put the information out there, it may help some who are in need of a eye exam and like me are concerned about going into a office. Check your benefits first of course. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting .... good for people unable to get out.  

I'd be curious how they do that. 

Do that bring all their equipment into your home?  Or - is it some sort of moble unit that comes to your house

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBAwrote:  Do that bring all their equipment into your home? Or - is it some sort of moble unit that comes to your house

I assume they bring everything, I will update after my exam

Esteemed Contributor

Last fall I went to my retina and cataract checkup in person.  It would have been nice to do at home. 

Will be interesting to see what exam they do for you.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Interesting.  Technology amazes me.  I had my eye exam last summer at my opthalmogist's office.  The prescription changed but only very slightly.  She said there was no reason to get new glasses but the next time I did, I should go to the website and print off the prescription.  Earlier this month I decided to buy my new glassess online. I only go out if it's absolutely necessary.  So, I went to one of eye glass sites, I scanned my doctor's prescription to them.  For the frames, I used the figures on the arm of my glasses and filled in the form.  So, 2-3 days later I got an email asking me for the PD or pupillary distance which was not on my prescription. I didn't know what it was.  They emailed a link to me and told me to click on the link and follow the directions.  I did and a "camera" opened and I had to stare into the camera and the PD value....60.....popped up.  I emailed them that number and 8 or 9 days later, I got my glasses.  They are pefect in every way.  I was amazed that they could do such a thing. It's to hear that people who can't go out or are choosing no to go now can get get vision care from their home.  An added benefit for me was that 4 years ago, I paid over $800 for 2 pairs of bifocals with blue light blocking.  This month I paid $140 for 2 pairs of glasses with bifocals and blue light light blocking.   

Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion online prescriptions are a Godsend. I've had all my glasses done this way for last 16 years.  I use Zenni Optical, which has a great selection of stylish, well made glasses.  Estimate I've saved minimum of $4000-$5000 by doing it online.

Honored Contributor

I've never stopped going to my eye appts. I can't afford to! If I did, I'd probably be going blind. I have and still go to my regular ophthalmologist for my regular treatments. And I went to my local eyeglass store for new glasses back in August. I'm not letting this virus run my life. Nope, not gonna happen.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

update on my home eye exam.  The guy came with mask and gloves, his only equiptment was a tube like gadget with a light that I focused on as he held it to each eye back and forth several times(I forgot what he called it) It took about 15 mins.  The results were no cataracts, no glaucoma, no signs of elevated blood pressure. He said my results would be sent to my PCP.   He said that exam does not address the need for glasses so I still need to get that exam done. My insurance company does cover the exam.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info @Goodie2shoes.  That is really good to know.  Glad your home exam went well and insurance covered the exam.

It is amazing what they are discovering they can do with technology to meet the needs brought on due to the pandemic.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes :  Did you know that if you are 65 or older Medicare covers annual exam by Opthamalogist as well as basic cataract surgery?