Honored Contributor

Re: Home Blood Pressure Monitoring

On 5/5/2014 Justice4all said: I returned the Veridian. It was far worst than useless. In fact, unconscionable.
I am interested in knowing what specific things the Veridian did that led you to your observation that it was "far worst (sic) than useless" and "unconscionable". What did it do or not do?
Super Contributor

Ive used a wrist monitor for years. I have WHITE COAT SYNDROME ...i.e. higher blood pressure in the docs office than at home. So I take my pressure at home and when I go in to see the doc I take my log with me . I have taken my wrist monitor to the docs office to check it against their BP cuff and it always comes out within one or two points. Its very accurate.

The doctor is convinced and so am I.

Respected Contributor

The veridian not only would not give an anywhere near accurate or consistent measurement, but it squeezed so hard it was painful and vein popping. I have an omron arm which is accurate.
Honored Contributor

I have to use a wrist monitor because it is the cuff that gives me terrible White Coat Syndrome, my doctor says it is fine to use a wrist monitor. She said only those who have a very weak pulse should not use it.

Respected Contributor

My primary care physician told me not to use a wrist monitor, so I use the regular one. I've seen a great improvement in my BP since I quit smoking & quit using ibuprofen. Now I need to lose weight & it'll get even better.

Trusted Contributor

I use a Walgreen's brand wrist monitor and it has always been very accurate. One reason some of these monitors seem to be inaccurate is that people don't follow the directions for arm placement.

My blood pressure sometimes runs very low and the nurses or techs in the doctors office have difficulty taking it using the traditional method. Usually the doctor takes mine herself and we compare it to my wrist reading and it is always right on or a point or two difference. .

Respected Contributor

I use an Omron wrist monitor that flashes a light to indicate whether or not placement is correct - blue if ok; red if not. Nice to have this visual feedback.

Trusted Contributor

We had an old wrist monitor that was not very accurate and we got rid of it years ago. Then, on my last doctor's visit, I noticed he was now using one. I didn't pay attention at the time, to which brand he was using, so I did some research and purchased one that was recommended on the Cleveland Clinic website...they had several monitors that they recommended. So far, our new wrist monitor is spot on, as long as you follow the instructions.

We've also had several arm band monitors that were very inaccurate.

The best advice, I think, is to check reviews and when you purchase one, get it tested.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Montana said:

I use an Omron wrist monitor that flashes a light to indicate whether or not placement is correct - blue if ok; red if not. Nice to have this visual feedback.

That may be the one that we have too.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"