Respected Contributor

Home Blood Pressure Monitoring

Before you buy a wrist blood pressure monitor, read the information on the "Choosing A Home Blood Pressure Monitor" page of the American Heart Association's website. You'll find the following: "Wrist and finger monitors are not recommended because they yield less reliable results".

The website also has a lot of information about blood pressure monitoring including how to choose a monitor and other advice. Read the information and then discuss what you've read with your doctor. He or she is the best source for all information if you've been told that you have high blood pressure and need to control it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Home Blood Pressure Monitoring

I have read this information, but since my wrist unit yields results that are pretty much the same as my 3 different doctors' offices, i continue to use it. I take my BP every morning and every night.
Honored Contributor

The nurse told me when I bought a wrist monitor to take it to my local fire dept and have them test it against theirs. Not only did I get to find out mine's just about as accurate as theirs, but I got to see all the cute fireman LOL. It was fun. Any single gals out there........just sayin'{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Honored Contributor

About once a year my DH takes his wrist BP monitor to the doctor's office and checks it's result against their upper arm one and they are always within reasonable parameters- a few points.

Honored Contributor

Another wrist monitor user here. My doc is fine with that.

Respected Contributor

I also use a wrist BP monitor and always take it with me to my Dr appointments. My wrist readings are always within a point or 2 of the Dr's office cuff and my Dr thinks they are great. He recommends them to his patients now because he believes his patients will use them more regularly than the cuff style as they are easier to manage, especially for his patients that have dexterity issues.

Respected Contributor

I brought my wrist unit to my doctor and she showed me how to hold my arm so that I got the same reading as her office unit. It's very helpful to check your BP at home at different times throughout the day.

My doc says I have ""white coat syndrome"" and my BP is high when she first takes it. Then she takes it at the end of the exam and it's much lower.

Respected Contributor

I returned the Veridian. It was far worst than useless. In fact, unconscionable.
Honored Contributor

I invested in an Omron upper arm BP710 monitor. It is rated the best and was not cheap. My BP is normal now ever since I stopped using ibuprofen, which I had used for years and which was responsible for my high BP.

Two doctors had given me BP meds, and both knew I was on daily ibuprofen. I was talking to a nurse last week (she's coming here tomorrow to check up on me for the LTC insurance company), and she said "doctors don't know anything about meds."

Now do I take the word of a nurse over a doctor? Yes I do. Why? Because every illness I have except the RA (which they could have seen coming 20 years prior and couldn't do anything about) . . . every other illness/condition I have has been brought on by side effects of meds I have taken for RA. And, with the exception of the high BP, they have not gone away, they are permanent.

Anyway, I realize that was a little OT. My apologies.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 5/5/2014 Cats3000 said:

Before you buy a wrist blood pressure monitor, read the information on the "Choosing A Home Blood Pressure Monitor" page of the American Heart Association's website. You'll find the following: "Wrist and finger monitors are not recommended because they yield less reliable results".

The website also has a lot of information about blood pressure monitoring including how to choose a monitor and other advice. Read the information and then discuss what you've read with your doctor. He or she is the best source for all information if you've been told that you have high blood pressure and need to control it.

This is true of "some" wrist monitors and pretty much every finger monitor I have used. Now I do use a finger Oximeter and it works great.

Have used Omron wrist monitors for many years now and have had them double/triple and more, checked by almost every doctor and Rehab Class I attended since my first round of PE's back in 2002. The differences where negligible and not could, at best, vary slightly just as the same "hospital/doctor" and other methods of taking ones blood pressure changes.

There is a proper way of arm placement along with "same time of day" that are also as imperative as to what is used to take ones BP. While there may be a slight differences in the numbers, most home BP Monitors are to point out "changes" in BP as opposed to accuracy in comparison to other "so-called, the best" methods of an accurate reading.

While total accuracy is primary way too many variables can alter ones BP reading, even like talking to someone while it is being taken, just to name a slight one. I take my BP with my Omron daily, sometimes multiple times a day depending of what I have had done to this old body.

I have done my own personal studies on the accuracy of our Omron Wrist BP Monitors and for our use what little difference there may be in the old "pump the ball method", which depends on who is pumping and reading, I will stick with my Omron for our use. General studies show certain things, but nothing is more important than knowing your own "personal study done by comparison" and for my well being I rely on what I know to be true for my body and not humans in general when it comes to "what is best for everyone" or statements like "you are in the normal range" often lieu by those in medicine instead of "specific numbers".

While a persons doctor is certainly the best source, it has to be a doctor that is also familiar with ones health, physical and mental, doing the deciding.

hckynut(john)