Honored Contributor

Holistic dentist? Anyone have gone to one?

I'm in the process of looking for a new dentist.  My regular one is retiring and I don't like his replacement very much.  I'm sure he must be competent but there's more to a relationship with a medical provider than competency.

It used to be there was a wider gap between "regular" dentists and holistic ones.   For example, I don't believe most dentists use mercury fillings any longer. 

Does anyone go to a holistic dentist?  If so, do you have any advice - of any kind?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Holistic dentist? Anyone have gone to one?

I have never had a mercury filling, all mine were white even years ago, I insisted on it. I dont know of any Holistic dentists.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of such a thing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Don't know what makes a holistic dentist, but what if you find one and don't like him or her???

Best advice for finding any professional near you is to ASK others whom they would recommend ( holistic or not, you can find that out when you call ---- they may even recommend one to you! ).

It's called networking and it works for everything, from job search to vacations.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I know the term and I'm looking for one myself.

I tried one in my area and didn't care for her. She oversold just about everything so 1 cleaning and I was done.

Try a search for holistic dentists. Many dr/dentist review sites around to check their reviews/feedback if you don't have anyone to recommend a dentist to you.

Honored Contributor

Good luck. our dentist in Florida retired 2 years ago and we are very unhappy with his replacement. Still looking. Fortunately, we spend half the year in Pa so I could see my trusted old dentist while we are here, but now he is retiring as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz wrote:

Don't know what makes a holistic dentist, but what if you find one and don't like him or her???

Best advice for finding any professional near you is to ASK others whom they would recommend ( holistic or not, you can find that out when you call ---- they may even recommend one to you! ).

It's called networking and it works for everything, from job search to vacations.

Yes, @jlkz,I've done that for years.  Thanks for your post but why would you think I didn't know about networking?  Asking my question on the forum is to find out the experience of others on the forum.  It's not to find the dentist.  That part is covered.

So is not liking the dentist.  I am not going in blindfolded.  It's my choice, always.  So what if I don't like him or her?  I'm not bound to them after a simple consulting visit.  There are plenty of dentists out there, and, as I said in the original post, many do use holistic methods or incorporate them into their current practice. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I know the term and I'm looking for one myself.

I tried one in my area and didn't care for her. She oversold just about everything so 1 cleaning and I was done.

Try a search for holistic dentists. Many dr/dentist review sites around to check their reviews/feedback if you don't have anyone to recommend a dentist to you.

Thank you, @Snowpuppy

I'm not asking HOW to find a dentist.  I know how to do that already.

I am just asking whether anyone has any experience or advice after having gone to one.