Respected Contributor

Hives and rash from antibiotic

I've been on Augmentin for 5 days and last night after my dose I got what I thought was a mosquito bite on my wrist.  I thought either that or poison ivy the dogs had broght in to me.  Then my palms started itchng, then my stomach and breasts, bottoms of feet, ears (inside and out) OMG - I thought I was going to go crazy!  Red rash everywhere, small hives popped up in various places.  Looked it up and sure enough - day 5 is usually when you have a reaction.  Took a Benadryl, but still itching - 1:00 a.m. still itching took another Benedryl and I think it knocked me out.  Finally got sleep - but I guess this can hang on for days on end - UGH!  Have 1 1/2 days to go, guess I'll call dr and see if she wants to switch me for those days.  Has this ever happened to you?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Hives and rash from antibiotic

Wow - since it's in so many areas you should  get a prescription for Prednisone.

I'm allergic to Keflex/Cephalexin.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

Oh yes!  Been there.  For me, I was taking an antibiotic with steroids, so it wasn't until the steriods were finished that the hives came out as the steroids were keeping everything in check.  I remember thinking I felt "hot" but couldn't figure out why.  I had take another round of steroids to kill the hives.  I was head to toe.  I remember the nurse asking me why I was there.  I said, did you look at me????  She hadn't.  She looked at me and was like, "Oh dear."

I forget now which one it was that does that.  It is listed on my file at the doctor's office and the pharmacy.

Another one, Avalox, gives me the mother of all headaches that I can't get rid of.  That one is also on my file.  However, I had a problem with my eyes and they gave me the eye drop version of Avalox.  Same thing, major headache.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

Wow - since it's in so many areas you should  get a prescription for Prednisone.

I'm allergic to Keflex/Cephalexin.  Take care.

That's the one that gives me hives, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Decades ago when I took Ampicillin. My chest immediately broke out in hives.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

I had a reaction to amoxicillian-it was over a Memorial Day weekend many decades ago!  Hope you feel better soon!

Honored Contributor

This is one reason I'm so leary of taking pills. What if you have an allergic reaction and don't even know you are allergic. The one that closes off the throat scares the heck out of me.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

This is one reason I'm so leary of taking pills. What if you have an allergic reaction and don't even know you are allergic. The one that closes off the throat scares the heck out of me.

@qualitygal - I was keeping a good eye on that, although I live by myself and not sure what I could have done except call 911.  I thought about driving myself to urgent care, but it was after midnight and not sure they are even open that late.  I was scratching like a dog with fleas!  The two Benadryl I took finally knocked me out, thankfully.  Rash all gone this morning.  Dr. called in another prescription - third time is hopefully charm.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Keep Benedryl available.  An allergic reaction to anything can occur at any time even when you've had no reaction before, or have never had an allergic reaction to anything. 

My son was riding his motorcycle when a bee stung him on the neck (got caught in his collar).  He made it home but said he felt weird ... and he's been stung before in his life but never had a reaction.

He had a massive reaction to this bee sting.  We immediately took him to the ER.... by the time he arrived he was swellling up dangerously, they took him back stat and helped him.  It was one of the scariest things I've ever witnessed and I've seen some stuff.

He's been stung since (riding motorcycles can present a problem with bugs!)..... but has never had a reaction since.  He was also prescribed Epi pens.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I hope you called your doctor and stopped taking that antibiotic. I have had the same reaction with Levaquin and Amoxycillin, two antibiotics that I can no longer take. It's important that your medical records note the allergic reaction.