Valued Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement coming up next week....

I have had three , The left one once and the right one 2 times,Things you will need  are Hip Kit [can buy on amazon ]an elavated toilet seat,a  bed rail [cheaper if you get in childrens store , Get the kind that slides under mattress,Also when you get picked up from hospital it is easier to get into suv [  NO bucket seats please ! Also bring plastic grocery bag for seat so you can slide into seat , or a plastic place mat.,A shower  chair or bench will be helpful . Try to remmber after surgery ,,,When you are going to sit down always back up slowly and do not sit until you feel your legs hit the chair because you will be on medication and can mis judge distance , do not raise knee above hip , do not twist or bend ,and do not cross your legs ,

Good luck and I know you will be glad you did it!!

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

I have had three , The left one once and the right one 2 times,Things you will need  are Hip Kit [can buy on amazon ]an elavated toilet seat,a  bed rail [cheaper if you get in childrens store , Get the kind that slides under mattress,Also when you get picked up from hospital it is easier to get into suv [  NO bucket seats please ! Also bring plastic grocery bag for seat so you can slide into seat , or a plastic place mat.,A shower  chair or bench will be helpful . Try to remmber after surgery ,,,When you are going to sit down always back up slowly and do not sit until you feel your legs hit the chair because you will be on medication and can mis judge distance , do not raise knee above hip , do not twist or bend ,and do not cross your legs ,

Good luck and I know you will be glad you did it!!

cathy from ma

Thanks for all the tips, Cathy. I got a booklet from the surgeon which stated almost all of the things you mentioned!  I have a dressing hook, a zipper pull (for my boots), a long handled shoe horn, a shower sponge with a long handle, elevated toilet seats, a shower stool, and my PT told me about the plastic bags for the car. I drive a van, so my husband will pick me up in that. The place where I'm going has both a 1/2 car and a 1/2 truck in their unit, and you have to get in and out of the seat before you can go home. Smiley Happy  I haven't considered the bed rail, but if the PT who will come to my house every day for 2 weeks afterwards says I need one, I'll get it. I'm so glad yours were successful. Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

Best Of luck , The first 3 days are the hardest , You will then get better everyday!

Cathy fro ma

Respected Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle

I can so relate to you and your experience.  But unlike you, I went straight to an orthopedic surgeon.  Had an x ray done and then was told that all the lining around my hip bone was gone and that I had a whole in the hipbone.  But then was told that I had to live in pain for the rest of my life.

That was back in 1992 when apparently hip replacements were not done on people of my tender age of 50ish.  So I went someplace else and they took pitty on me and did the surgery.

@twinkies you will be so happy once it is over and the relieve in not having this horrible pain will make you jump with joy.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @BriggsiePeawiggle.  I am ten months out from a right THR, and I mostly don't think about it much, which of course is a good thing, because before, the torturing, crippling pain was all I (we) could imagine.

I think the worst thing is all the pre-op stuff, and the fear and dread that precede the procedure - but you're almost there.  Now, once you have had surgery, it will be onward and upward to recovery.  I personally hated having to sleep on my back for some time and also that I couldn't drive for awhile (I missed my freedom), but now, even though I don't jump and run like I used to in order to keep that joint (and all the others) functional for as long as possible, and I've had to work back into mobility, my daily walks and strength training keep things in balance and I no longer have the searing, debilitating hip pain.

I agree with others who have recommended Bonesmart.org as a resource - tune into your body and remember that this is major surgery and there is lots of healing that has to happen!  Best wishes to you.  I would imagine you'd be home for Christmas (if that's your thing) and most likely getting around with a walker or cane.  I was vacuuming after a couple of weeks (much to my therapist's chagrin).  The most valuable tool I bought for this was the "grabber", as your ability to bend will be limited.  Happy Holidays.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

I just wanted to get back in here and say that I did have my right hip replaced on December 15th. I was so scared. I started to cry right before I went into the operating room, and the surgeon scrunched down next to me, took my arm in his hand and promised me that everything was going to be fine. When I woke up I was in anesthesia shock for some reason. On my post-op visit he told me to remind him when the left hip comes time for replacement because he would make sure that didn't happen. He said it's very rare but he will put something in my line that they put in recovery to stop the shaking and pain BEFORE I wake up next time. I will go for my second post-op visit this coming Monday. It has not been easy. The horrid pain before surgery is gone on the right -- but now the left is really acting up because it has been getting more use, I guess. I have a great physical therapist who is working 3 days a week with me, and I do the exercises every single day whether I go there or not. Today I walked to the mailbox down at the street with 2 canes. That was kind of hard, but I did it. The reason that it has been over a month and I am still not strong enough to just walk is because my muscles had wasted so badly before surgery. I waited FAR too long, and as it turned out it wasn't just arthritis. It was a congenital deformity hip dysplasia.....so I've been compensating my entire life and never knew it. I have had some bad hip pain even as a kid, but there were no MRIs back then and x-rays just didn't show enough for anyone to be able to tell. Anyway that explains why the arthritis came on so fast and suddenly. I can already see a difference in the shape of the muscles in my 2 legs though, so the right is coming along. My husband has been just great through the whole thing with helping me by doing laundry for me, and just generally taking good care of me. I stopped the Oxycodone last weekend and have been getting by on just plain Tylenol when I need it -- which isn't much. Mostly the pain hits at night when I go to bed. One of these nights I'm going to sleep well again.......and yeah sleeping on my back is so tiresome. Although, actually I have NO restrictions, sleeping on my left side still kind of hurts my right hip. Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I plan to go back for the left in the spring when my husband is finished at his university job for the most part and the right hip becomes strong enough to support me. And I'm going to ask the doc on Monday if I can resume swimming at my gym now to help build strength too.

June

Honored Contributor

You sound just like my husband before he had his hips done. You will be so happy you had the surgery and are able to live life pain free. My husband was in excellent physical shape and had a lot of upper body strength so he required very little pre or post physical therapy. He was a little goofy for a few days after the second surgery from the anesthesia, so if you're a little older that might be a concern or at least a question for the surgeon.

Valued Contributor

June ,

I am glad that your surgery is over and I can really relate to you My surgery was because of hip dysplasia and also r.a. i had 1 leg 2 inces shorter than the other but the surgeon knew that going in , I did n;t want to go into all that and scare you because I had a longer recovery also , Unfortunately had to have it fixed again 6 monthes laterI had my hip replacements 1 week apart and the 3 rd one 6 months later ,Yes it was tough but I am not sorry , I am more than grateful That I had it done , I can take care of myself now , I need other surgery but thats a different story , You seem like a tough cookie so I am betting you are getting a littel better every day , There may be small setbacks but remember you will overcome and you will prevail .You  have been through the roughest part andbe careful , Don't overdo but make sure you move as to prevent blood clots , Also once you get going don't get overconfident and do too much as you could fall or destroy something in that prostheitic , It talkes a while for it to heal , You seem to be doing well inspite of some of the difficulties you have faced Good luck and keep us posted ,

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

@twinkies, I'm not sure why I am just now seeing this almost a year later, but I still really appreciate all of your kind comments. Wow! You really had your surgeries close together. I was able to wait for 5 months, and then I had my left one done on May 15th. For some reason the recuperation from that was harder than the first. I ended up with anemia from blood loss and there were other things going on in my life (death of mil, bad diagnosis of my dog) that I think impacted my recovery. BUT......now I'm almost all better. I walk without a cane, and I've been riding my bike again. I feel like I am back in my old life again and pretty happy about it all. In fact, it seems kind of miraculous to me. Does it feel that way to you too? Hope you are doing well.

Honored Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle  I had both my hips replaced , right in 2014, left in 2015.  Both were done anterior method. I was home in less that 24 hours with each. Very little pain or discomfort.  I hope you are having your surgery done  newer less evasive anterior method  and not  the  out dated posterior method which has a  Much bigger incision, much more pain and discomfort.