Valued Contributor

Hip Replacement coming up next week....

I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I sure am looking forward to getting rid of this agonizing pain I've been in for months which keeps getting worse. All summer, the pain doctor I went to kept telling me it was my back and not my hips. It is sometimes hard to tell......but eventually when I realized nothing was getting better I went to a really good doctor who x-rayed my hips and it showed the right hip jammed right up into the pelvis with no cartilage left at all, and the left not too far behind. I went to physical therapy, and the therapist suggested the doctor to do the replacement. I totally trust him after having a long discussion with him. The past couple of weeks have been full of pre-surgical appointments, but finally I'm done with all of that. I go in Tuesday morning for a total right hip replacement. As soon as that heals I'll have the other side done. I would've done them both at the same time, but my leg muscles are so weak I'm afraid to attempt that right now. I'm nervous, but I have no other choice. I can no longer live on the couch, not sleeping much at night, crying in pain. Thanks for listening....

Briggsie

Super Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement coming up next week....

You will be happy you had these surgeries.  I had both of my hips done in 2013 and I am so happy.  I could only walk using a walker and I was in constant pain - and the pain pills didn't help.  At first, I was told it was my back but soon discovered that both of my hips were bad.

The surgeries weren't too bad and I was up and around in months.  I had to take it very easy because I have soft bones so the surgeon wanted me to use a walker for 6 weeks after each surgery.  Now I only use the walker to transport groceries from the car to my house - it cuts down on trips.

Go to Bonesmart.org to get information about the surgeries and communicate with other patients going through the same thing or have gone through the surgery.  This web site provides a lot of information.

Good luck and I know you will be pleased.

Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle, my husband had his right hip replaced 5 months ago yesterday and has done wonderful!  Says it's wonderful not having all that pain, his cartilage was gone and it was bone on bone.

Good Luck with yours!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom breezed through a hip replacement when in her mid-eighties.  She did have trouble getting pants on for awhile so I bought her some mumus to wear.

Good luck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My husband needed a hip replacement and he was back to work after a few weeks! He said he wished he had done it sooner.  Just do the exercises they tell you to do every day and walk, walk, walk.  You will do fine!!

Valued Contributor

Will say a prayer for you. My husband had his hip, and both knees replaced in 2013. He did great and the hip was easier than the knees, but all went very well and he also is sorry he waited so long!

Honored Contributor

OP - i had the exact opposite problem from you. I kept going to the doctor asking for a referral to an ortho doctor because I had such severe hip pain.My PCP kept telling me there was nothing wrong with my hip and I was a hypocondriac, this went on for 3 years.Finally, I decided even if the insurance would not pay for it I was going to an ortho doc and when the ortho finally xrayed my hip my lower spine was also in the x ray and showed I had terrible back problems. I was so relieved to finally know what was wrong. Had back surgery and my hip has been fine since. No doctor who is worthwhile tells you there is nothing wrong or you are a hypocondriac.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

OP - i had the exact opposite problem from you. I kept going to the doctor asking for a referral to an ortho doctor because I had such severe hip pain.My PCP kept telling me there was nothing wrong with my hip and I was a hypocondriac, this went on for 3 years.Finally, I decided even if the insurance would not pay for it I was going to an ortho doc and when the ortho finally xrayed my hip my lower spine was also in the x ray and showed I had terrible back problems. I was so relieved to finally know what was wrong. Had back surgery and my hip has been fine since. No doctor who is worthwhile tells you there is nothing wrong or you are a hypocondriac.

That is SO HORRIBLE. I'm so sorry you went through that. 

Valued Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

@BriggsiePeawiggle, my husband had his right hip replaced 5 months ago yesterday and has done wonderful!  Says it's wonderful not having all that pain, his cartilage was gone and it was bone on bone.

Good Luck with yours!

Thank you!  Mine is also bone on bone in the right hip, and the bone is squared off at the top from being jammed into the joint. It has formed a bunch of bone spurs because when bone rubs on bone more bone forms....weirdly enough. The cracking and popping hurts like hell, too. I just want it done, you know? The pain is intense.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

@orangegarnet wrote:

Good Luck with yours!

Thank you!  Mine is also bone on bone in the right hip, and the bone is squared off at the top from being jammed into the joint. It has formed a bunch of bone spurs because when bone rubs on bone more bone forms....weirdly enough. The cracking and popping hurts like hell, too. I just want it done, you know? The pain is intense.

Most certainly understand,  hubby was miserable and had a bone spur too. He works from home and was back on light duty in 2 weeks and was allowed to ride his yard tractor.  PT came 3 times a week and in between he did his own PT.  We were at Disneyworld for Halloween and I couldn't keep up with him.  His incision is anterior and so much easier for healing and getting around.  When he came home from his overnight in the hospital he used a walker until PT said he could graduate to his cane.  Hard to believe it's been 5 months and how far he's come.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee