Super Contributor

Hip Replacement Surgery (Anterior procedure)

[ Edited ]

I'm having this on Thursday 3/23, and looking for some anecdotal experiences from others who have been through it - what to expect, things you wish someone had told you beforehand,etc.  Thanks so much!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Occasional Visitor

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (Anterior procedure)

This is my first post and this is my niche.  I'm a registerd nurse and the orthopedic program manager at my hospital so I see joint replacement patients from pre-op thru 2 weeks post- op.  I have seen amazing results with our patients who have had a hip replacement thru the anterior approach.  As I'm sure u know there is a much less chance of dislocation and less pain because of less muscle cutting . Most of our patients leave the next day and some leave the same day.  The key to their success is attending a pre- op class and doing their pre-operative exercises . Every surgeon is different in their skills and pain control but most patients have been dealing with joint pain for so long that the incisional pain is tolerable. Hope this helps.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

@TeezNu  I have had both hips done this method. It was a wonderful experience for me. I went home in less than 24 hours.. very little discomfort, minimal down time. Up and walking with a cane for  only a week,  and  cane free by week two.  I had them done about 2 years ago and feel great! Pain free and enjoying life again! 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bonecut  Thank you so much.  Yes, I have attended the pre-op class, and have been doing the pre-op exercises to the best of my ability, which is far less than what is recommended, due to the pain they cause.  Have been diligent with the foot pumps and arm raises from the chair, though.  Thanks for the positive encouragement - great first post!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Thank you for sharing - so glad you had such a successful experience - very encouraging for me, as I'm very nervous about it.  I live alone, and no help.

Honored Contributor

My hubby had his left hip replaced with the posterior method two weeks ago, lots of don't, last week he moved the wrong  and fractured his great tochacter bone (no surgery required) so his recovery is pushed back 2-4 additional weeks

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

@I am still oxox   Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, but glad no additional surgery needed.

Trusted Contributor

I had an anterior THR on my right hip 7 weeks ago tomorrow.  I also live alone; however, I had my housekeeper come in everyday for 2 weeks to assist me.  Now she's back to coming once a week.  Stayed in the hospital 2 nights.  Had my other hip replaced in 2008 with posterior method.  

My surgeon is a single practicioner who pioneered the anterior approach here in Phoenix where I live.  I did not have any pre-op orientation or pre-op exercise routine.  However, I had been doing the exercises I was given with the posterior hip for more than 8 years so I was in good physical shape.  

The main problem I had was the hospitalist doc sent me home with inadequate pain meds so I had a bad first week until my surgeon resolved the issue.  Then everything went smoothly.  I started driving 2 weeks ago and resuming daily activities.

I went for my 6 week follow-up visit and everything was A-OK.  He cleared me to resume going on my treadmill and Total Gym (slowly....)

Good luck!!

Super Contributor

@pdlinda  Glad to hear you've recovered so well - thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Thank you for sharing - so glad you had such a successful experience - very encouraging for me, as I'm very nervous about it.  I live alone, and no help.

@TeezNu  Honestly, you will not need extra help with your hip done Anterior....you will feel great. I told my surgeon that if I had not had a 2  inch incision(that's all!)  I never woukd have known I had a hip replaced.  You will get around just fine no help.