Valued Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (Anterior procedure)

My friend just had her second one done this Monday, home the next day..she had a PT visit on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, then home..she has therapy scheduled for 3 x a week for 4 weeks & then plans to go back to work...she is a restaurant server.

just wish there was an easier way to replace knees..mine is almost a year post-op..hoping the other one stays strong!

Trusted Contributor

@TeezNu, so good to hear you are doing so well!  Please do yourself a favor & don't over do it like I did a few days ago which caused a slight setback in my recovery.

Super Contributor

@LIndaMJ wrote:

@TeezNu, so good to hear you are doing so well!  Please do yourself a favor & don't over do it like I did a few days ago which caused a slight setback in my recovery.

@LIndaMJ  Wise words.  As things improve, it is easy to to get a little overconfident.  Am trying to be mindful of my movements.  Though extremely rare, the possibility of dislocation looms over me.😖

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Esteemed Contributor

I just read all the posts and am so envious.  When I fell and fractured my right hip on February 6, 2015 the surgery was done on the 7th.  The surgeon told me he placed two pins in my hip, sent me to rehab for a full month with physical therapy everyday and six months of home therapy.  Here it is two years later and my hip still pains me.  Oh how I wish I had the Anterior procedure but perhaps my break did not call for that. 

Sadly I still suffer from sciatic pain and arthritis on the knees so that adds to the hip pain.  Anyway, I am so happy for all of you who had tha other procedure and came out of it singing the praises of your experience.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Regular Contributor

I was in pain for years after my first surgery following hip surgery and I limped.  All changed after I had the thing done correctly.  Think about not waiting to find a more qualified surgeon who is up to date.

Regular Contributor

I replied to Lindsay's Grandma....

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I just read all the posts and am so envious.  When I fell and fractured my right hip on February 6, 2015 the surgery was done on the 7th.  The surgeon told me he placed two pins in my hip, sent me to rehab for a full month with physical therapy everyday and six months of home therapy.  Here it is two years later and my hip still pains me.  Oh how I wish I had the Anterior procedure but perhaps my break did not call for that. 

Sadly I still suffer from sciatic pain and arthritis on the knees so that adds to the hip pain.  Anyway, I am so happy for all of you who had tha other procedure and came out of it singing the praises of your experience.

@Lindsays Grandma  you very well may not have been a candidate for the anterior method due to your fracture.  The doctor probably needed a larger incision area which the posterior method offers to fix your fracture.  Have you discussed your pain with your surgeon?  Yes your arthritic knees  do probably contribute to your hip discomfort and even sciatica.  I have had both hips and both knees replaced. Fortunately I am pain free now. But I had a lot of back issues and pain prior to my replacements.

Valued Contributor

I'm glad yours is all over with and you are recovering. I had my right hip replaced in December 2015 and the left in May of 2016, and both were anterior. I think because mine were due to arthritis caused by congenital hip dysplasia it took longer for me to recover. I was completely crippled prior to surgery and had a long road back, but today I just got home from the local mall where dogs are welcomed. I took my good older 7 year old pup and my crazy puppy, who really can't walk well on leash yet, and I walked all around with no problem. It is like a miracle to me that after years of being achy and sore -- and doctors who kept telling me it was my back until I found the right guy -- I am fine. I ride my bike and plan to cross country ski next winter (needed to wait for full bone growth around the implant before I went out so missed that this winter). I wish you a full recovery. Anterior is the best way if you can have it.