Honored Contributor

Himalyan Salt Lamps - Does anyone use these?

I was thinking about purchasing one of these to try out.  Does anyone have any experience using these?

DH & I both have sinus all the time and breathing issues and I thought this could possibly help.  Also, it is supposed to help cleanse the air from germs, odors, etc.

If you have, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Re: Himalyan Salt Lamps - Does anyone use these?

Hi Angel Puppy: I can't help you because I have the same question. So I hope others who have one of these lamps will post here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1

I don't have a lamp, but we do have a Salt Cave in my city.   While it seems a bit unorthodox, I have considered going to see if treatments work.  I swear I am allergic to rain and snow and because there has been so much precipitation the last two days, I have been miserable.  I need to keep my eyes full of eye drops and take a couple Benadryl each day.  That combo can often make me feel like a  zombie

If you purchase a lamp, Angel, please come back and report your results.

Have a beautiful holiday!

Honored Contributor

I had several of the ones that can hold candles, not the lamps. They are very pretty but very very heavy. I got tired of moving them with me and after several years also started to feel they reminded me of our hippy days in a dorm or first apartment, so I donated them all. They do have a lovely warm glow though.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Oh wait! p.s.~

I think they are making a comeback because I have seen them at Marshalls, Homegoods, TJ Maxx for very inexpensive prices and all different sizes.

They come in different shapes and shades of that golden, orange color and some have not so nice imperfections so its nice to see them in a store and be able to choose the one you want.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I have the salt lamps and so does DS.  I bought them to combat some pollutants and  for cleaner air.

Well worth the cost but keep in mind the space you are going to use them in before deciding on size. I wouldn't use one lit with a candle, it would defeat the cleansing purpose.

Not for use in a wet area like a bath or kitchen, they are salt and will deteriorate  more quickly. Ours are 2 yrs old and still going strong.

My naturopath has some that plug into a USB port, really small, but again, how useful?

I have looked into the salt room treatment. I've read they can be beneficial for conditions like asthma.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had one for about 3 years.  Don't expect miracles, but, yes, you can tell a slight difference in the air with it on.  I don't burn mine every day but on "muggy" days, they do seem to make the air more crisp and easier to breatheMine is about a foot high and plugs in.

Respected Contributor

I have been using two of them for the past year, one in my bedroom and one in the living room. Do they purify the air? I honestly don't know, but I have noticed much less allergy problems since I have purchased them. In all honesty, I also use hepa filter air purifiers as well. I leave my salt lamps on 24/7. I love the beautiful orange glow and they serve as great night lights as well. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Wow-I had totally forgotten about the health benefits of these. I always just admired the aesthetic aspect. I'll have to look into these for my daughter!

Esteemed Contributor

I have two of these in my home for over 5 years. 

However, mine are a bit unusual in that they are a medium size salt bowl that is filled with heart shaped chunks of the salt.  They light from below with a one of those night light bulbs.  I keep mine lit all the time and use a pink tinted bulb sometimes, which really gives a lovely glow.

The bowl and hearts are very unique and, while I'm not sure of any benefits, they are beautiful to look at.