Honored Contributor

Re: Highly Processed Food linked to early death

@gertrudecloset   Actually this is a common misconception....that a healthy diet has to be more expensive.  Just a matter of education and common sense.    Whole unprocessed foods and fresh produce are highly nourishing and not expensive.  Our diet is very simple....we don't purchase (very rare) processed foods.   You pay for the processing of food....skip the middle man.  Skip the fat/sugar/salt of processed foods that keep you unhealthy and addicted (i.e., chips, candy, baked/processed boxed or frozen, fast foods bought for convenience, etc.) Keep it simple, make your own food as close to nature as possible...not expensive.  

Respected Contributor

Using fresh, unprocessed food, can take a lot of time to make and make tasty. I think many people are very busy and don't have the luxury of time to cook .

I started eating mostly unprocessed food about two years ago, and I spend a lot of time choosing items at the stores, looking for recipes and cooking or baking. I am fortunate enough to have that time.

I am mostly vegetarian, although, not strictly and plant based food is quite expensive.

So, I rarely eat any.

I can understand why folks eat quick food.

People mostly do the best they can...IMHO

Honored Contributor

Whatever.......

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Actually this is a common misconception....that a healthy diet has to be more expensive.  Just a matter of education and common sense.    Whole unprocessed foods and fresh produce are highly nourishing and not expensive.  Our diet is very simple....we don't purchase (very rare) processed foods.   You pay for the processing of food....skip the middle man.  Skip the fat/sugar/salt of processed foods that keep you unhealthy and addicted (i.e., chips, candy, baked/processed boxed or frozen, fast foods bought for convenience, etc.) Keep it simple, make your own food as close to nature as possible...not expensive.  

I don't know if I agree totally @phoenixbrd .  I will only speak for myself in this regard.  I do find myself spending more money on produce.  This has to replenished every week for me.  I eat a lot of fresh veggies and if I buy a week's worth at a time for each meal, I to re-up every week.  Considering the cost of everything nowadays it can be more than $50.00 a week just on fresh produce (veggies/fruit).  If I bought canned or frozen goods (which I don't because of sodium) then I'd fare a lot better.  I think what the first step could be is giving people access.  Once they get access, they can learn how to tailor their meals and plan them out for better eating habits.  However, that's got to come first.  No access = no healthy foods. 

Then for me, it's about not letting my produce go to waste.  Meats I purchase vaccumed sealed for the deep freezer and will last me a lot longer than fresh produce.

It can be hard for some on a lower income.  However, one good thing is the School Lunch Programs that help offset some of the healthy food eating. 

A typical family of four (mom + dad 2 kids and a dog) will need at least $300.00 a week for healthy meals which include fresh fruits, grains, and lean meat.  This is the typical family of 4 today in today's dollars. 

This is a very good discussion we are having @phoenixbrd .  I'm enjoying it and I do agree with you that it's nothing wrong with a little cheater here and there but healthy options overall are better for us.!!!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

Using fresh, unprocessed food, can take a lot of time to make and make tasty. I think many people are very busy and don't have the luxury of time to cook .

I started eating mostly unprocessed food about two years ago, and I spend a lot of time choosing items at the stores, looking for recipes and cooking or baking. I am fortunate enough to have that time.

I am mostly vegetarian, although, not strictly and plant based food is quite expensive.

So, I rarely eat any.

I can understand why folks eat quick food.

People mostly do the best they can...IMHO

@RedTopQuick food is designed to make you like it.  They don't just decide to one day make a product without considering how they will get people to enjoy it.  Added flavorings and chemicals play a big role in how the fast food tastes including packaged foods. 

I believe the line I've heard before: "you are what you eat."  My post wasn't added to shame anyone, it was health related that's why I put it in the wellness forum.  And no not a lot of education is needed to know which type of food is better for us.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

If you try to go organic as much as possible you will definitely pay more. Add in qualifications like grass-fed, pasture-raised and ouch. You have to pick and choose and do some research on where it’s most important.
Honored Contributor

And here we go again....... As if there's anyone here who doesn't know that processed food is incredibly unhealthy. We all make our own food choices, are free to decide for ourselves what we will and will not put in and on our bodies. I'm not going to lie and say I'm a paragon of virtue when it comes to food. I've been in a wellness program for several years. Lean proteins, whole grains, a minimum of 5 fruits and veggies a day. 100 Oz of water. It has improved my health numbers greatly but I'm about 70% and that's as good as its going to get. I'm ok with that because I have to live my life and a good life includes enjoying foods that foods that are not particularly healthy but doing it in moderation.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

I'm a gonerSmiley Frustrated

@DearPrudence Yes you are.  And so is my 100 year old friend who ate too many processed foods also. I hope nobody tells her.