Honored Contributor

High dose antibiotics causing mouth to burn…

I'm on high dose of both antibiotics & steroids right now.  My mouth is burning (esp tongue area).

I called doctor and suggested rinsing with warm salt water every hour.  Any other suggestions as this is not working...ugh..😳.

(Even ice water seems to "burn").

Thank you for any ideas & suggestions🙂🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

Re: High dose antibiotics causing mouth to burn…

Call that doctor again and tell him his suggestion is not working.  High antibiotics and steroids is serious business. I wouldn't mess around.  Wishing you recovery and a solution to the source of your diagnosis,

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 If you've just started the antibiotic regimen, it's unlikely you will be able to finish the course with that discomfort. If you're nearing the end of treatment, the warm salt water might get you through. But, I'd call the doc again, if it remains unpleasant, or if you notice any other untoward symptoms. Hope you feel better soon. 

Honored Contributor

Your body is saying that combination of drugs is not good, the Dr needs to change something.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe try a pain-relieving mouth rinse. Orajel makes one.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @LIG1 @SilleeMee @RedTop @BlueFinch @phoenixbrd 

I have 1 more day (ugh) I am disgusted with my "primary" nothing seems to be priority.  Called Thursday just heard back today🤬🤬

If doesn't resolve by Wednesday when I'm one day out then I'll call him again.  I have another doctor appt to tomorrow I'm mentioning to her - I think it's "oral thrush".  

Esteemed Contributor

All the best to you @homedecor1. ((( Heart)))

Honored Contributor

Calling one of those nursing hotlines might be worth a try. Ours is staffed by registered nurses. They can even consult with doctors and call you back. One ER nurse practitioner complained to me that they send patients to the ER too frequently, but I didn't appreciate her attitude anyway. Generally, I think they look for solutions and it's worth a try when the doctor's offices have closed.

Honored Contributor

Glad you are seeing another doctor tomorrow, maybe she will have another suggestion. Keep us posted and I'm hoping you are better soon,🙏🏼

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 Beware that your toothpaste doesn't aggravate your condition. Almost all have mint which irritates a tender mouth and esophagus.  I hope you get some help and relief.