Honored Contributor

Re: High Blood Pressure

[ Edited ]

The AMA recently released a new alert that anyone with regular systolic readings inching closer to 140, should talk to their physician about starting a low dose BP medication, as a preventive measure.

I have never had a high BP reading.  However, my reading when I donate platelets is always higher than in my doctors office.  The equipment in the donor center is calibrated weekly; my doctor had no idea when their equipment was last calibrated.  Based on that information, I very recently asked my doctor to put me on a low dose BP medication.  With my inherited risks, as well as my diabetes diagnosis, it just seemed like the smart thing to do.   

My husband has been on a preventive dose of BP medication since his MI in 1998; my mother started hers after a confirmed TIA about 10 years ago, and my brother started his after a diabetes diagnosis 4 months ago.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: High Blood Pressure

[ Edited ]

@milkbone wrote:

'Genetics loads the gun.  Diet pulls the trigger'. 

good info posted above !!!!

@milkbone

I, too, love that saying!

Many people will claim 'genetics' but in reality, 

Great Grandma cooked with butter...and had HBP/diabetes.

Grandma cooked with butter...and had HBP/diabetes

Mom cooked with butter...and had HBP/diabetes

We cook with butter...and have HBP/diabetes.

Four generations have HBP/diabetes, so it HAS to be genetic, right?  No...it's the food.   It's always been the food.  

Fat, animal products, processed foods...remove & changes will occur quickly.  Get medicated?  Just masks the problem...and causes other problems.  Saw this pic of a tshirt recently....true, so true.

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor