Respected Contributor

Shelbelle will check on monitors today.

Honored Contributor

Heart disease 'Things to Help; Things to Know"

Read the literature of;
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease"

Watch Dr. Esselstyn's lecture on YouTube;
http://youtu.be/m8yikz5bOEQ

Having a mini-stroke and have high blood pressure? You need to take action immediately.

If one has heart disease, you must have Healthly Endothelium!

What's Endothelium?
It's the jacket that lines the inside of your veins. The walls of your arterial system can weaken anywhere/anytime...the Endothelium prevents that wall from weakening.

What damages & HURTS Endothelium?
Meats will damage endothelium.
Milk, cheese, eggs will damage endothelium.
Processed oils (EVOO, coconut, etc) damages endothelium.
Fats will damage endothelium.
Coffee will prevent the repair of endothelium.
Nuts, avocado will prevent the repair of endothelium.

What HELPS Endothelium?
If you haven't guessed, a Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet is INSTRUMENTAL in reversing & preventing heart disease.
Eating a diet HIGH in leafy greens & veggies, which have LOTS of nitrates, is the foundation of good heart health.

When greens/vegetables are chewed, nitrates convert to nitrites, which converts to nitric oxide...which relax blood vessels and increase blood flow....and builds healthy Endothelium.
All that goodness in your Produce Section!

Is Hypertension Genetic?
Very Unlikely**. Rural Chinese, Tarahamara Indians of Mexico, rural villages of Central Africia...these are just examples of cultures where heart disease is unknown in this modern day. Common denominator is....plant based diets.

Rare you see a child born with hypertension & cholesterol issues.  It seems to be a 'learned' disease.

**Though...it IS common for someone with Type 1 Diabetes and/or kidney disease to have heart disease. That's why this way of eating is even MORE important for those in this condition....heathy Endothelium is important for everyone!

I, personally, can personally attest. Many years ago, I was overweight & ate animal products. I was on HBP medication. My numbers got lower each time I revamped my diet. First it was lowering my weight, then eliminating animal products, but it wasn't until I totally eliminated the oil, nuts & coffee is when I saw my BP numbers were below normal...enough to remove medication. Today, since I work on having strong Endothelium by eating lots of greens, I can add nuts/avo/coffee back in on a limited basis without a rise in BP....but why tempt fate?

Many people proclaim they "eat healthy" & still have issues, but I would challenge them to eat a low fat (15-20% of daily calories), whole foods, plant based diet, without nuts, coffee, and see what's happens. I would predict good things would happen! Smiley Happy

Stress. Yes, stress can have an affect on BP, so try meditation. When I began changing my eating a plant-based diet, it calmed me. Additives, chemicals, flavors just stresses your body to work overtime to calm down. Eating lots of greens, fruits/vegetables, legumes, starches without salt, oil, sugar can begin to have a calming effect on you...even without losing a single ounce.

I would take the time to listen to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's lecture.

It's SO worth it.

If anything, you will be exposed to a different way of looking at this issue.

Knowledge is power.

Dr. Esselstyn was head of The Cleveland Clinic...America's Gold Standard of Heart Wellness. If one has heart disease...you listen to Dr. Esselstyn.

Taking a handful of pills only masks the problem.
Fix it from within.
Healthy Endothelium is the answer....and a low fat, whole foods, plant based way of eating will get you there! 

@dulwich
Good luck with your journey!

Honored Contributor

It is very unusual for a person to have symptoms with high BP. 

Honored Contributor

Re: High Blood Pressure

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

It is very unusual for a person to have symptoms with high BP. 

That is why I thought they called it the silent killer. 1/3 of people who have high BP don't know they even have it.

However, I think if you have dangerously, life-threatening high bp, you may have symptoms such as fatigue, headache, confusion.  

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Heart disease 'Things to Help; Things to Know"

Read the literature of;
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease"

Watch Dr. Esselstyn's lecture on YouTube;

Having a mini-stroke and have high blood pressure? You need to take action immediately.

If one has heart disease, you must have Healthly Endothelium!

What's Endothelium?
It's the jacket that lines the inside of your veins. The walls of your arterial system can weaken anywhere/anytime...the Endothelium prevents that wall from weakening.

What damages & HURTS Endothelium?
Meats will damage endothelium.
Milk, cheese, eggs will damage endothelium.
Processed oils (EVOO, coconut, etc) damages endothelium.
Fats will damage endothelium.
Coffee will prevent the repair of endothelium.
Nuts, avocado will prevent the repair of endothelium.

What HELPS Endothelium?
If you haven't guessed, a Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet is INSTRUMENTAL in reversing & preventing heart disease.
Eating a diet HIGH in leafy greens & veggies, which have LOTS of nitrates, is the foundation of good heart health.

When greens/vegetables are chewed, nitrates convert to nitrites, which converts to nitric oxide...which relax blood vessels and increase blood flow....and builds healthy Endothelium.
All that goodness in your Produce Section!

Is Hypertension Genetic?
Very Unlikely**. Rural Chinese, Tarahamara Indians of Mexico, rural villages of Central Africia...these are just examples of cultures where heart disease is unknown in this modern day. Common denominator is....plant based diets.

Rare you see a child born with hypertension & cholesterol issues.  It seems to be a 'learned' disease.

**Though...it IS common for someone with Type 1 Diabetes and/or kidney disease to have heart disease. That's why this way of eating is even MORE important for those in this condition....heathy Endothelium is important for everyone!

I, personally, can personally attest. Many years ago, I was overweight & ate animal products. I was on HBP medication. My numbers got lower each time I revamped my diet. First it was lowering my weight, then eliminating animal products, but it wasn't until I totally eliminated the oil, nuts & coffee is when I saw my BP numbers were below normal...enough to remove medication. Today, since I work on having strong Endothelium by eating lots of greens, I can add nuts/avo/coffee back in on a limited basis without a rise in BP....but why tempt fate?

Many people proclaim they "eat healthy" & still have issues, but I would challenge them to eat a low fat (15-20% of daily calories), whole foods, plant based diet, without nuts, coffee, and see what's happens. I would predict good things would happen! Smiley Happy

Stress. Yes, stress can have an affect on BP, so try meditation. When I began changing my eating a plant-based diet, it calmed me. Additives, chemicals, flavors just stresses your body to work overtime to calm down. Eating lots of greens, fruits/vegetables, legumes, starches without salt, oil, sugar can begin to have a calming effect on you...even without losing a single ounce.

I would take the time to listen to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's lecture.

It's SO worth it.

If anything, you will be exposed to a different way of looking at this issue.

Knowledge is power.

Dr. Esselstyn was head of The Cleveland Clinic...America's Gold Standard of Heart Wellness. If one has heart disease...you listen to Dr. Esselstyn.

Taking a handful of pills only masks the problem.
Fix it from within.
Healthy Endothelium is the answer....and a low fat, whole foods, plant based way of eating will get you there! 

@dulwich
Good luck with your journey!

Sidsmom, my only problem with a diet like this is that it would be difficult socially. What do you eat when you go out with friends and family to a restaurant? How do you go to a dinner party where the host is serving a meal with a lot of meat but few vegetables?

I just wanted to tell you that I think what you are doing takes a lot of courage and fortitude. For myself, even without the Type 1 diabetes, I don't know if I would have your kind of stick to it attitude. You and I may differ on some issues regarding food choices but I think eating a diet mostly of plants is definitely the pathway to good health.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VioletEyes

Thank you so much for your kind words.   That means a lot.

Funny you should mention the social.  In fact, I'm meeting my BFF at a steak house in a couple hours.  Will get a salad (dressing on the side), a dry baked potato (the size of my head!), maybe some steamed asparagus.  They'll serve it as a very lovely presentation.  These days, almost every eatery has a vegetarian option.  There are times I don't eat as much as others & might have to spend a little bit more for 2 salads, but I save so much $$$ the rest of the time, eating out is special.

Yes, it's not always the most convenient, but neither is,

-) cracking my chest open for open heart surgery (heart disease),

-) pricking my finger several times a day or fear going into a coma (Type 2 diabetes),

-) feeling sore & achy due to the arthritis (or any 'iitis') I need assistance

-) just.not.feeling.good

I know these examples are extremes, but many Drs. of this lifestyle will say, "Moderation Kils".   To see BIG results, you have to make BIG changes.  If anything, I wish everyone would just try a LFWFBP way of eating & be 100% compliant for...say 30 days.  It's amazing what will happen.  

It just depends on what is important for your life.  Not only do I want to live long, but I want to live comfortably, as well.

I had an uncle who was Type1 diabetic.  I was very little...didn't understand his condition...but I do remember Uncle Bob carrying oranges with him everywhere.  I would ask for one & he would say, "no, it's my medicine" (now I know for blood sugar issues).  Maybe that little orange 'planted a seed' in my mind way back then...that Food Is Medicine...and that's why I'm a proponent of it today. 

Again, Violeteyes, thanks for circling back.  Sidsmom

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@VioletEyes

Thank you so much for your kind words.   That means a lot.

Funny you should mention the social.  In fact, I'm meeting my BFF at a steak house in a couple hours.  Will get a salad (dressing on the side), a dry baked potato (the size of my head!), maybe some steamed asparagus.  They'll serve it as a very lovely presentation.  These days, almost every eatery has a vegetarian option.  There are times I don't eat as much as others & might have to spend a little bit more for 2 salads, but I save so much $$$ the rest of the time, eating out is special.

Yes, it's not always the most convenient, but neither is,

-) cracking my chest open for open heart surgery (heart disease),

-) pricking my finger several times a day or fear going into a coma (Type 2 diabetes),

-) feeling sore & achy due to the arthritis (or any 'iitis') I need assistance

-) just.not.feeling.good

I know these examples are extremes, but many Drs. of this lifestyle will say, "Moderation Kils".   To see BIG results, you have to make BIG changes.  If anything, I wish everyone would just try a LFWFBP way of eating & be 100% compliant for...say 30 days.  It's amazing what will happen.  

It just depends on what is important for your life.  Not only do I want to live long, but I want to live comfortably, as well.

I had an uncle who was Type1 diabetic.  I was very little...didn't understand his condition...but I do remember Uncle Bob carrying oranges with him everywhere.  I would ask for one & he would say, "no, it's my medicine" (now I know for blood sugar issues).  Maybe that little orange 'planted a seed' in my mind way back then...that Food Is Medicine...and that's why I'm a proponent of it today. 

Again, Violeteyes, thanks for circling back.  Sidsmom

You have a wonderful attitude. And I think whatever you are doing, it seems to be working for you.

Have a wonderful evening! Woman Happy

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am for eliminating every Major Risk Factor there is to lower the risk of Heart Disease, and have lived my life since the mid 1970's doing so.

One can never leave out one of the very important ones that cannot be changed, nor overlooked by any doctor or anyone in any type of Health Care Position or Field. That would be "Genetic Predisposition".

My 2 heart attacks, as far as I and my Cardiologist are concerned, were a direct result of "genetics", not from what I ate nor how much I exercised. I certainly am far from saying to anyone that most of what was said in a couple of these posts are not correct.

I am however saying that there is absolutely nothing any person can do to guarantee they will not suffer from Heart Disease, and those genetically so predisposed? Even moreso. Do the best you can and that is all anyone can do, but be realistic when it comes to genetics also.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My mother started the low dose BP medication immediately after the MRI confirmed her TIA, or mini stroke; her family history is full of vascular issues.  I would seriously question why you were not started on medication after your mini stroke, and feel you are extremely lucky to have not suffered another serious vascular issue before now.   

Respected Contributor

Hi RedTop. - well when I had myTIA I was dazed and very confused and my Dr. At the time seemed unconcerned - told me to rest come back in a week.  This went on for about 5 weeks when my Son in Law visited and took me back to the Dr who then suggested Insee an eye Dr.  Luckily fir me one of the best eye Drs had just had a cancellation when we went in and he saw me immediately and diagnosed my condition.  He then took me across the road back to my Dr went in and next thing I knew I was having dozens of tests.  So there you go.  I have permanent eye damage from this but all I was told was to take low dose Aspirin - which I do and until now have been fine.  Now I feel back to square one but now on bp meds and my MRI next week - but I have a really good Dr now.