Honored Contributor

Hi everyone . . . From LT, an update

[ Edited ]

how I wish I could answer each and and every one one of you. I miss posting with you folks so very much. It was my daily pleasure. I’ll try to tell you how this happened, which was my own foolish fault.  I will be having Home Health services for the next few weeks, as this recovery seems to be dragging out.

I had already put my upper back (thoracic spine) out by just getting out of bed three weeks prior but was doing fairly well using my walker, so I got a little nonchalant about it and thought I could do a little cleaning up in my bedroom.  The waste basket overflowing was particularly bothering me. So I hiked myself in my roller chair into the kitchen to get a trash bag,  and as I pulled up to the cabinet which was approximately the same level of my seat, I opened the door and then felt myself sliding forward.  I knew I was falling and did not want to reinjure my back, so I sorta “cocooned” myself to the right and hit the hard kitchen floor with my whole right side, my hip and my arm.  Fortunately, my daughter heard me from the patio, rushed in and called an ambulance. I had surgery on both the hip and the arm the next morning.

medicare let me stay in the hospital for only two days when they gave my family only 24 hours to place me in a rehab.  I went to the wrong one first (sub-acute instead of acute) so I had to be moved again to an acute facility.  I stayed there for 17 days.  There they gave me intense PT every day, several times a day for the hip and the arm.  I tried to tell them several times that this was beginning to affect my lower spine, but although they were very nice about it, they continued to concentrate on the hip and arm exercises.

unfortunately, that wound up putting me into an RA flare and a severe muscle injury to my lumbar spine.  Most of my pain issues are concentrated there and probably the worst back pain I have ever experienced over my 14 years of RA and osteoporosis.  The ortho doc said it was the absolute opposite of what should have been done, which was at least 15 days of rest before PT was even started. My fault . . . I should have been more insistent that the PT be stopped as soon as I started feeling the pain in my lower back.

the ortho doc has told me this could take another three weeks to three months to heal.  Ergo, the nurses who will start this coming week.  So I have missed the entire month of July and will probably  miss most of August as well.

in the meantime, I will try to update this thread more often, as one of my daughters is allowing me to use this iPad in my bed since I can’t sit at my computer right now.

again, thank you all so much for your well wishes and kind comfort, you are all the very best cyber friends a gal could have 💕

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Hi everyone . . . From LT, an update

@LilacTree  It sounds like you are making progress, albeit slow.  Continue to go slowly, as you know what your body is capable of dealing with.  I'm sorry that you are having to deal with such miserable pain, but we will continue to pray for healing and are very glad to see that you are able to read the well wishes and post every now and then.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  My goodness you certainly have been through it. I admire your strength and fortitude.

Image result for encouragement card

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a nightmare for  you........and it is hard to defy the professionals as they (you hope) seem to know what they are talking about...............hope things heal faster then they thought and the next couple months go by quickly for you and you are feeling better soon......there are so many genuine, kind thoughts sent to you on this site....i hope it makes you feel so not alone......

Best wishes...

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree    So happy to see you are home.  So sorry to hear of you fall and injuries and bad care by the  rehab facilities....that is so disturbing. I hope you have found someone to give you the proper care and physical therapy to strenghthen you.

You are one very brave and strong woman. No one deserves to have gone through what you have.  And yet you come out of it so amazing with your positive attitude.

I wish I could take away the pain for you.  I will keep you in my thoughts and  circle you with  healing light. 

~SeaMaiden~

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

So good to hear from you again, you've been missed!Heart

I'm so sorry to read of all that you've been through and hope that your recovery comes soon!

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Oh my, get well!

You need a walker with a hand held brake, my mom loved hers vs those

basic ones' with the tennis ball as bottom feet.  

Respected Contributor

...and I hope you don't have visiting nurses like my mom did.  The nurses came, sat down at the table, opened their laptop and asked my mom questions after questions, they continued to type and after a half of hour of typing, they did nothing and left.  Oh my, my mom was furious and literally next time they came, she "chased them out of the house".  I really couldn't blame her and then I took the role of taking care of her.  

..and they needed to send you to rehab from the hospital, you can't go to rehab once you go back home.  If you needed the PT after you got home, you possibly could of had someone come to house or you would of had to go to their facility for out patient therapy.

Unfortunately I really feel sorry for how the elderly are being treated.  I would like to think that social workers/doctors/nurses know what they are doing but like any profession, there are good one's and bad one's.  

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree

Glad that you are finally home and wishing you a speedy recovery.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree, so happy to read your update and glad that you are now home.  We always seem to do better in our own environment.  Recovery is a journey, many times doing it from your bed, but it will take time.  Listen to your own body, but nothing is so important that you need to do at home except to rest.   Wishing you a complete recovery.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!