Respected Contributor

Re: Here's a message from my Dentist's dental hygeniest:

Same thing happen with a former hair stylist.  I'd used her for years and one day she came in announcing she was getting married.  First I had to put up with all the time lost planning her wedding and never available.  Once married she blew off appointments a lot.  

Went once and was assigned a new stylist when she didn't show up and he was great.  Afterward I felt bad making all future appointments with the new stylist in the same salon knowing I'd be bumping into her but then I got angry - why should I be angry - what's worse, she divorced and now had 4 kids to help support and then tried to gain back her former clients bc now she needed US.  

Honored Contributor

I have  rotating hygienists each time I go to the dentist. They are all excellent and all have worked on my teeth over the many years I have gone there. Never would a hygienist call my home and ask such a question. 

Honored Contributor

Rescheduling is something that goes both ways.  Sometimes there are patients who just don't show up so the hygienist, dentist, doctor, etc. is inconvenienced.  What do we say then?  Things come up from time to time where one party can't make an appointment.  If we're honest, I think that's happened to most of us at least once.   I also think we've altered our schedules at least once in favor of doing something more fun.  Have you never called in "sick" to work when you really weren't sick?  If the hygienist or the office secretary would have called and only said "something came up and we need to reschedule your appointment", I don't think there would be such a reaction.  No one knows the situation with the hygienist and her sister.  We could speculate and come up with lots of possibilities.  While the hygienist was being honest, it's that honesty that upset the OP.  That was the mistake the hygienist made.  I don't think rises to the level of finding a different hygienist but rather acknowledging that she is just as human as the rest of us and wanted a day off to do something fun.  

Esteemed Contributor

UPDATE: Received a call from the Office Manager this morning before I could call them. My DDS's son (who has recently received his Dental Degree and is also practicing with his dad and the other partner) is going to clean my teeth and the other patient's teeth.

When I said that wasn't necessary, the O.M. replied, "He offered and will be paid as if he were a substitute. It's also great experience for him until his own practice gets off the ground."  Sounds like other patients complained yesterday. Glad I was not involved in that part; not fond of confrontation. 

So, I have my teeth cleaned at the appointed time. However, I did ask if my next appointments could be scheduled with a different hygenist. "Of course! We will make a notation on your chart. When you are finished, be sure to schedule your next appointment as usual and we'll have you see ___________ instead from now on. We think you'll be very happy with her expertise and gentle skills."  That worked out well and was painless!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Rescheduling is something that goes both ways.  Sometimes there are patients who just don't show up so the hygienist, dentist, doctor, etc. is inconvenienced.  What do we say then?  Things come up from time to time where one party can't make an appointment.  If we're honest, I think that's happened to most of us at least once.   I also think we've altered our schedules at least once in favor of doing something more fun.  Have you never called in "sick" to work when you really weren't sick?  If the hygienist or the office secretary would have called and only said "something came up and we need to reschedule your appointment", I don't think there would be such a reaction.  No one knows the situation with the hygienist and her sister.  We could speculate and come up with lots of possibilities.  While the hygienist was being honest, it's that honesty that upset the OP.  That was the mistake the hygienist made.  I don't think rises to the level of finding a different hygienist but rather acknowledging that she is just as human as the rest of us and wanted a day off to do something fun.  

If she expects to do that, she needs to find another job that is more flexible.  People schedule their lives around her and she should schedule her leave well in advance.  

Honored Contributor

She sounds like  a ditz.  There's nothing wrong with rescheduling appointments, stuff happens.  There was no reason for her to give the REAL reason....LOL   All she had to do was say "I'm so sorry for the short notice but we to have reschedule your Thursday appointment"   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  Normally, the office staff calls when changes need to be made. From the sounds of this, I doubt they would make the calls to patients due to her lame excuse. She is kind of ditzy, but has been a good hygenist until recently. Just hasn't been very dependable around holidays (which happened to be when my last two appointments were scheduled). I have no idea how she's been during regular weeks lately. 

Honored Contributor

Ask your dentist if he had heard the voicemail...if he is okay with it, I would find a new dentist.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

LATEST UPDATE: Had my teeth cleaned today.

When I arrived for my appointment, the receptionist asked if I would like to have Dr. ______ (my DDS' son) OR another hygentist clean my teeth today. She said, "One of our hygentists had a cancelation that same time as your appointment. If you would like to try her out, this would be a good time or you've got the appointment with Dr. ______. Whichever one you prefer." WOW! I jumped at the chance to go with the other hygentist!

She was so gentle, I kept falling asleep! And quiet. Blissfully quiet. No chatter about her kids, family and people I don't know. Why didn't I ask to change several years ago? LOL This entire situation was a blessing in disguise. She is fabulous in her profession, as well as not boring the daylights out of me with idle chit chat. My teeth are finally cleaned again! No cavities; another appointment in six months with her.  Smiley Very Happy 

ETA: Didn't talk with my DDS about the change. He checked my teeth and knew I was seeing a different hygentist. Decided he probably had heard about the entire afternoon switcheroos from the office staff. I didn't want to become involved in a complaint or make any remarks about the reason for changing. I'm confident he knows and is able to handle the employee situation when the MIA hygentist returns from her afternoon with her sister!!

I did, however, thank both my "new" hygentist for taking me today and the office staff for their help in keeping my scheduled appointment today. They were understanding and very kind. The waiting room was PACKED to capacity so I'm sure others also kept their own  appointments, too.

Respected Contributor

I was just wondering how much notice she gave you to cancel your appointment ?